3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No start. PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 06:49 PM
Jkdub
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start. PCM?

Went on vacation for a week and came back and my 2003 dodge ram 1500 wont start. There’s no click, or anything, but there’s power to the lights the radio and it’s dinging at me so I know there’s power coming from the battery. My first thought was starter so I replaced that but still nothing (the no click should have given that away). Checked the relays and the fuses and those are all good. Tried hot wiring it through the relay, it cranked, but still didn’t start. My guess is the PCM is dead but I’m not sure. I just wanted to check and see if anyone else had anymore ideas before I end up replacing my whole truck.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Verify that the pcm is actually sending power to the coils/injectors at initial key on.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime?

Old 01-03-2020, 11:41 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

Just because you have interior lights and dings doesn't necessarily mean your battery is good. Do a voltage check, if less than 12.x volts charge it and try again. If you have another vehicle, take it out and get it tested. Had one do this to me, turned out it had bad cells.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:06 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

+1 for checking the battery
if the battery is ok; check for power to the starter relay. you should hear/feel it click when the key is turned to start.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:09 AM
Jkdub

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Verify that the pcm is actually sending power to the coils/injectors at initial key on.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime?
I’ll check the power going to the injectors and coils. I just looked how to do that and seems pretty simple.

I didn’t hear any noises coming from anywhere when I turned on the car out side of the dinging, but I’m not sure I know what the fuel pump sounds like.

Also, there weren’t any engine lights that came on on the dash when the was turned on, which I’m pretty sure should come on but I’m can’t remember if that’s true or not.

Last edited by Jkdub; 01-04-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:11 AM
Jkdub

Originally Posted by Magnoom
Just because you have interior lights and dings doesn't necessarily mean your battery is good. Do a voltage check, if less than 12.x volts charge it and try again. If you have another vehicle, take it out and get it tested. Had one do this to me, turned out it had bad cells.
Checked the battery and it had 13 volts going to it and when we hot wired the relay, the engine cranked but didn’t start.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:13 AM
Jkdub

Originally Posted by primem
+1 for checking the battery
if the battery is ok; check for power to the starter relay. you should hear/feel it click when the key is turned to start.
When we hot wired the starter we went through the relay ports using ports 30 and 87. The engine cranked but wouldn’t start. There’s no click when the key is turned to start.

Old 01-04-2020, 01:29 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

that confirms the power side of the relay works. check the control side of the relay 85 should have battery voltage in the start position. the pcm supplies the grd to 86 to close the relay. if the pcm isn't suppling grd...is the theft light on?

Old 01-04-2020, 03:12 PM
Jkdub

that confirms the power side of the relay works. check the control side of the relay 85 should have battery voltage in the start position. the pcm supplies the grd to 86 to close the relay. if the pcm isn't suppling grd...is the theft light on?
There’s no theft light on. I’ll check on 86 and 85 and see what comes out.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:43 PM
Jkdub

So checked the injectors, and port 85 and 86 while the key was turned to on and while in the start position and no voltage.

Also should mention I hooked my code reader up and it couldn’t detect a signal. It could be that I have a cheap reader, but it said no ecm detected.

Quick Reply: No start. PCM?