3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MDS Delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 10:09 PM
ramario99
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MDS Delete

Hello all. Turning to this forum as Facebook groups really aren't being too informative (should've known better). In a bit a of a rut. I'm on the fence about selling my Ram due to a number of items that need to be looked at. Nothing major though. The biggest factor is the MDS. I have a Flowmaster on the truck and it has a hole so I can here the fluttering when the MDS kicks in. So my options are: Find a shop locally that does MDS deletes and repair list of issues the truck has or sell the truck. I am considering buying my own tuner and looking into purchasing a tune that includes an MDS delete, but that's if I don't change my mind and just sell the truck because of how pricey that can actually get. Its a really good truck, but kinda turned off that I purchased it without knowing that hemi's have MDS kinda kills it for me. I've had the truck for 8 years and I reeeeally don't wanna sell it, but MDS is that big of an issue for me. So big question is, do shops do MDS deletes or am I just wasting my time looking for one that does?

List of issues pending to fix IF I can find someone to delete MDS and keep the truck:

Broken exhaust manifold bolt on passenger side
Replace muffler (would go with flowmaster again - open to suggestions though)
Buy new tires
Buy new headlights
Shampoo interior seats
Tune up/transmission oil change
Color match front and rear bumper

2006 Dodge Ram SLT 1500 5.7 Hemi V8 (located in San Antonio, TX)

Old 04-19-2021, 06:10 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

That's a nice looking truck.
When do you find the MDS annoying, and what specifically do you not like? Most complaints I hear on the MDS is about a rough transition when driving around town. If that's the issue, then try switching to tow/haul mode and see if that helps.
I've heard that the dealer can delete the MDS without causing codes. Tuners can also delete MDS, but in most cases you have to delete every time you start the truck. I've never looked into it because I haven't noticed any problem with my MDS.
The other items you list are fairly easy fixes. You can get good access to the manifold bolt by removing the fender well. For the bumper color, you can try plasti-dip just to see if you like the look. Or, you can remove them, spray with a couple of coats of sandable primer, sand them smooth, then take to a body shop for a color match.
Of course all that matters is what you like, I'm offering some ideas to consider.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:54 AM
ramario99
Professional

Originally Posted by jrsick
That's a nice looking truck.
When do you find the MDS annoying, and what specifically do you not like? Most complaints I hear on the MDS is about a rough transition when driving around town. If that's the issue, then try switching to tow/haul mode and see if that helps.
I've heard that the dealer can delete the MDS without causing codes. Tuners can also delete MDS, but in most cases you have to delete every time you start the truck. I've never looked into it because I haven't noticed any problem with my MDS.
The other items you list are fairly easy fixes. You can get good access to the manifold bolt by removing the fender well. For the bumper color, you can try plasti-dip just to see if you like the look. Or, you can remove them, spray with a couple of coats of sandable primer, sand them smooth, then take to a body shop for a color match.
Of course all that matters is what you like, I'm offering some ideas to consider.
Thanks for the ideas. I have been driving around with the tow/OD off. I only use the truck for work and I'm 10 minutes away from work so the transition is very noticble especially with the aftermarket exhaust and the fact that it has a hole in it. I would like a more permanent fix though. Still looking around for shops. I haven't tried dealerships, but I'm trying to keep more cash in my pocket for the other issues I listed.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:43 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ramario99
Hello all. Turning to this forum as Facebook groups really aren't being too informative (should've known better). In a bit a of a rut. I'm on the fence about selling my Ram due to a number of items that need to be looked at. Nothing major though. The biggest factor is the MDS. I have a Flowmaster on the truck and it has a hole so I can here the fluttering when the MDS kicks in. So my options are: Find a shop locally that does MDS deletes and repair list of issues the truck has or sell the truck. I am considering buying my own tuner and looking into purchasing a tune that includes an MDS delete, but that's if I don't change my mind and just sell the truck because of how pricey that can actually get. Its a really good truck, but kinda turned off that I purchased it without knowing that hemi's have MDS kinda kills it for me. I've had the truck for 8 years and I reeeeally don't wanna sell it, but MDS is that big of an issue for me. So big question is, do shops do MDS deletes or am I just wasting my time looking for one that does?

List of issues pending to fix IF I can find someone to delete MDS and keep the truck:

Broken exhaust manifold bolt on passenger side
Replace muffler (would go with flowmaster again - open to suggestions though)
Buy new tires
Buy new headlights
Shampoo interior seats
Tune up/transmission oil change
Color match front and rear bumper
Ah rustmasters lol. Borla and Magnaflow seem to handle the MDS better, but it's their exhaust kits that have the muffler and resonator; the resonator is the key.
MDS in a truck is kinda funny to me, but Mopar believed it in enough that ALL 1500 hemis after 2006 got it and every HD with a 6.4 has it. Do you want it to just stay off or do you actually want to delete it? Because the first option is quick, easy and reasonably inexpensive (turning it off) vs pulling the heads, replacing the lifters and cam, new head bolts, pulling solenoids and capping the holes, etc etc and you still need to turn it off in the PCM so it won't throw a MIL. Any performance shop familiar with the hemi can and will do it as long as you're paying for it; alot of work and expense for a stock cam and lifter change, especially at that hourly rate lol.

Originally Posted by jrsick
I've heard that the dealer can delete the MDS without causing codes. Tuners can also delete MDS, but in most cases you have to delete every time you start the truck.
Dealers cannot delete MDS, that requires altering the factory tune in the PCM; besides not having the proper software, no dealer anywhere unless it's a performance shop as well will touch the factory tune. Any compatible Diablo or Superchips tuner (I believe HP tuners is also compatible with this year) can turn it off. Once it's turned off, it's off until you go back in with a tuner and turn it back on.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:57 AM
ramario99
Professional

Originally Posted by Magnoom
Ah rustmasters lol. Borla and Magnaflow seem to handle the MDS better, but it's their exhaust kits that have the muffler and resonator; the resonator is the key.
MDS in a truck is kinda funny to me, but Mopar believed it in enough that ALL 1500 hemis after 2006 got it and every HD with a 6.4 has it. Do you want it to just stay off or do you actually want to delete it? Because the first option is quick, easy and reasonably inexpensive (turning it off) vs pulling the heads, replacing the lifters and cam, new head bolts, pulling solenoids and capping the holes, etc etc and you still need to turn it off in the PCM so it won't throw a MIL. Any performance shop familiar with the hemi can and will do it as long as you're paying for it; alot of work and expense for a stock cam and lifter change, especially at that hourly rate lol.

Dealers cannot delete MDS, that requires altering the factory tune in the PCM; besides not having the proper software, no dealer anywhere unless it's a performance shop as well will touch the factory tune. Any compatible Diablo or Superchips tuner (I believe HP tuners is also compatible with this year) can turn it off. Once it's turned off, it's off until you go back in with a tuner and turn it back on.
Lolz yes a rustmaster. That's all I knew for trucks back then. On the MDS deal, I would like it to be turned off, permanently if possible. Wouldn't want to open up the engine. I know I could do the work myself of replacing all those components, but I saw some kits that are waaaaay up there in price, which is what I'm trying to keep at a certain number to work on the other stuff on the list. It goes into my dilemma of is it worth keeping or not.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:39 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

Lolz yes a rustmaster. That's all I knew for trucks back then. On the MDS deal, I would like it to be turned off, permanently if possible. Wouldn't want to open up the engine. I know I could do the work myself of replacing all those components, but I saw some kits that are waaaaay up there in price, which is what I'm trying to keep at a certain number to work on the other stuff on the list. It goes into my dilemma of is it worth keeping or not.
If you don't wanna open up the engine then get a tuner and turn it off. Like I said, cheaper and easier.
Tuner - between used and new, $150 to $450
Delete:
Non-MDS cam - new/used $250/$100
Non-MDS lifters - $400-500
Head bolts - $50-100 ish
Cam bolt - bout $6
Crank bolt - bout $124
Timing chain set with tensioner - $100-150
Gaskets - $200+ probably
And you still need a tuner to turn it off in the PCM lol

Whether it's worth it or not; it's paid for vs a truck note.

Old 04-19-2021, 04:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnoom
If you don't wanna open up the engine then get a tuner and turn it off. Like I said, cheaper and easier.
Tuner - between used and new, $150 to $450
Delete:
Non-MDS cam - new/used $250/$100
Non-MDS lifters - $400-500
Head bolts - $50-100 ish
Cam bolt - bout $6
Crank bolt - bout $124
Timing chain set with tensioner - $100-150
Gaskets - $200+ probably
And you still need a tuner to turn it off in the PCM lol

Whether it's worth it or not; it's paid for vs a truck note.
This. You can spend a few hundred on a tuner, or, spend a few hundred a month on a new truck..... To me, the choice would be easy.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:30 PM
ramario99
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
This. You can spend a few hundred on a tuner, or, spend a few hundred a month on a new truck..... To me, the choice would be easy.
lolz thanks. That was the route I wanted in the beginning. I have found a local shop that quoted me $250 to turn the MDS off. Gonna take it tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:34 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

I have found a local shop that quoted me $250 to turn the MDS off. Gonna take it tomorrow morning and see what happens.
That's not a bad price.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
That's not a bad price.
Really? Seems to me, it's about a half hour work to hook up, get to the right spot in the menus, click a couple buttons, and yer done......... Unless I am missing something significant?

Quick Reply: MDS Delete