3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Addressing 2006 4x4 545REF weak points

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 07:47 PM
Junkyard Junkie
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Addressing 2006 4x4 545REF weak points

Hi,
Yes I know this is not a Commander forum, but the 5.7L Hemi engine and the 545 RFE transmission are the same. And I have no doubt you truck guys know more about your vehicles than the average Commander driver.
I just picked up a 2006 Jeep Commander with the 5.7L Hemi and a 4x4 545RFE. I'm going to be transplanting the engine and transmission in my 2008 Wrangler. The donor has 160K miles. I got it from Copart and it was not drivable, but it does run and the engine sounded pretty good. No "Hemi tic".

I'm not going to be doing a complete rebuild on the engine or transmission, but would like to address some issues while they are out.

Engine is getting a new oil pump, water pump, timing components, front and rear main seals, exhaust manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, plus the usual external maintenance stuff.

So far for the transmission I have oil and filters and new sensors. I considered replacing the solenoid pack, but not sure on that. I also found a solenoid pack rebuild kit for a lot cheaper, so might do that?

Also found the Transgo kit # SK45RFE-A, what do you think about that?
Any other thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2022, 01:13 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I've been running the ATS Diesel Co-Pilot for the 545RFE for about a year now and I absolutely, absolutely, love it. If you run a temp gauge you'll see a dramatic reduction in tranny temperatures.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:04 AM
Junkyard Junkie
Rookie

I will be installing a trany temp gauge, so if the temps become an issue, I'll look into that.
Thanks.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:39 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd add a trans cooler; dump all the old fluid out of the convertor if you have the trans separated from the engine. Hemi throttle body is controlled by wire, you might need to take some more parts from the commander if the wrangler isn't.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:01 AM
Junkyard Junkie
Rookie

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
I'd add a trans cooler; dump all the old fluid out of the convertor if you have the trans separated from the engine. Hemi throttle body is controlled by wire, you might need to take some more parts from the commander if the wrangler isn't.
All that is or will be done.
There is a plug and play harness available to make it all work. It's about $1500, but worth it.
I made my own harness a couple years ago to install a 2003, 5.9L Magnum and 46RE into a 1998 Wrangle and the wiring was the hardest part. Not going through that again.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:28 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

I'd also be tempted to change out the valve stem seals, given the mileage and while its sitting out in the open with easy access. You also want to go with plain old copper champion spark plugs, the longer lasting ones tend to cause misfires.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:57 AM
Junkyard Junkie
Rookie

Got the copper champions already. I feel if I start on valve stem seals, then it'll just lead down the rabbit hole of a full rebuild. I already had to fight the temptation of a cam swap, which of course would be dumb to do without a rebuild on a 160k mile engine. Plus I'm running out of money for the project quickly and I don't want to have to wait.

I do have a question about the 2 sensors/senders on the side, by the oil filter. What are the two? and can I use the upper plug for a oil pressure gauge?
Thanks again.

Last edited by Junkyard Junkie; 06-21-2022 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:36 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Guessing one is pressure and the other is temperature, and the plug is a galley plug for cleaning after manufacture/rebuild. I assume you mean a mechanical gauge, probably could use that plug - run the plug out and verify.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:11 PM
Junkyard Junkie
Rookie

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Guessing one is pressure and the other is temperature, and the plug is a galley plug for cleaning after manufacture/rebuild. I assume you mean a mechanical gauge, probably could use that plug - run the plug out and verify.
Yep, that's it. Bottom left is the OP sender, front is a "temp sender". That must means Commander gets is engine temperature from oil.
Where does the Ram hemi get the engine temp from, coolant or oil?
I should know that already. I have a hemi Ram 1500 and a hemi Grand Cherokee. But both of them are relatively new to me and I have not had any issues with either one so had no reason to do any research on them.

Last edited by Junkyard Junkie; 06-21-2022 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Temp gauge in the dash is engine coolant. It's entirely possible that the PCM uses oil temp to determine how long your oil will last, and when you should next change it.

Quick Reply: Addressing 2006 4x4 545REF weak points