3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 4.7L P0068 and P0300 Codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 04:51 PM
racerxv6
Veteran
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Head off

Ok got head off and here are a couple pics. Valve seat popped out and stuck intake valve open. Tap piston a couple times so that will just be a clean up. Should k take head to get worked or should I just buy new seats and replace myself?

Old 02-04-2023, 08:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

I would have a machine shop go thru the heads. Not inexpensive, but, they can do various tests to make sure that is the only problem.

That's a pretty serious marf mark in the piston.... I would replace that too, just on general principles. Likely don't even have to pull the motor to do it. If the piston is cracked, and could possibly grenade, and take out the rest of the motor. Even if it isn't cracked, there are going to be exposed edges subject to combustion..... could burn a hole thru the piston..... Better safe that sorry. Only really need to replace the one.

Old 02-04-2023, 10:50 PM
racerxv6
Veteran

My plan was to fix head and sell, but I may sell the Gen2 96 5.9L and do a somewhat complete rebuild on this one since the 96 has tranny issues and dash is gone due to sun. I found a builder that says worst case scenario is $600 per head. I didn't pull the timing cover I did however mark the cam and #1 cap. Broke one of the tensioner bar while removing bolt, so I am thinking Timing chain kit $140 for the kit plus the piston $45. guess I am looking at around $1,200 or so plus gasket kit. Tranny is solid in the Gen3 so I have that going for me...I'll keep you all posted.

Old 02-04-2023, 10:52 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Valve seats can come out, but usually an overheat condition makes them loose. I'd check your cooling system while you're in there.

Old 02-05-2023, 10:41 AM
racerxv6
Veteran

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Valve seats can come out, but usually an overheat condition makes them loose. I'd check your cooling system while you're in there.
So this is my son's truck and this truck has 225,000 on it and it burns oil like no tomorrow. Doesn't smoke at all but have to add oil every month about a quart or so. Most likely he let it get to low and it gt a little hot. I will say when I pulled everything off I only got about a gallons worth of coolant. I am sure that there is still some in the motor and radiator. I hope Pulling other head off today and taking both to the machine shop to have them checked and rebuilt. Ill post pics of the return work when I get them back...Thanks fr all the comments and posts.

Old 02-05-2023, 11:08 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

take a look at the PCV also, bad PCV will increase oil burning.

Old 02-05-2023, 01:59 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxv6
So this is my son's truck and this truck has 225,000 on it and it burns oil like no tomorrow. Doesn't smoke at all but have to add oil every month about a quart or so. Most likely he let it get to low and it gt a little hot. I will say when I pulled everything off I only got about a gallons worth of coolant. I am sure that there is still some in the motor and radiator. I hope Pulling other head off today and taking both to the machine shop to have them checked and rebuilt. Ill post pics of the return work when I get them back...Thanks fr all the comments and posts.
Not sure 115 psi is very good for a 4.7.... you might need a dingle ball and some new rings.... that is alot of work for an old truck... but maybe get the son doing it and he'll learn that oil is easier and cheaper than engine work.

Old 02-05-2023, 05:08 PM
racerxv6
Veteran

Originally Posted by jrsick
take a look at the PCV also, bad PCV will increase oil burning.
Going to perform the Martinbuilt engine case vent change where the PCV gets moved to the back left head which also clears the gunk billed up in the oil fill. I am pretty sure that I changed this pct several years ago...

Old 02-07-2023, 08:32 PM
racerxv6
Veteran
Default Teardown

So, teardown is complete. Heads are at machine shop getting checked and rebuilt. Parts are ordered and waiting to be picked up. Next up is to clean all everything and I need to make a decision as to replace #2 or just clean it up with a flap disc. Have comments on both for replacing and cleaning up. I would replace but I was also told that due to the age of the motor the new rings might not seat correctly. Thoughts on this are welcomed. Her is a pic as of tonight from the completion of the tear down.

Last edited by racerxv6; 02-07-2023 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

I might consider just using the rings that are on the existing piston, if you can gap them to the proper spec.....

I think if you DON'T replace that piston, you will run into trouble later.....

The following users liked this post:
racerxv6 (02-08-2023)

Quick Reply: 04 4.7L P0068 and P0300 Codes