3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 ram 1500 wont start

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM
Greg w
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the compression check and it averaged between 80 and 100 so at 306000 miles that's probably ok. When I pulled the plugs I did see that they are very worn and i will be replacing them today as well as a cam sensor from standard ignition.

Last edited by Greg w; Yesterday at 06:23 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg w
I did the compression check and it averaged between 80 and 100 so at 306000 miles that's probably ok. When I pulled the plugs I did see that they are very worn and i will be replacing them today as well as a cam sensor from standard ignition.
I'd say far from ok, I'm not sure but I think you want at least 120-150. my 200k motor would do 150

Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM
Greg w

Ok how many revolutions would pump up that much pressure? I only went four or so.

I may need to get a better compression checker because I noticed it was not holding at the gauge it would leak back. It is an old unit by the time I got around to read it the dial needle was already dropping.

Last edited by Greg w; Yesterday at 09:59 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,317 Likes on 3,062 Posts

I usually crank five or six times, or, until the needle stops climbing.

I bought a NEW compression tester, and it work ONCE, after that, it wouldn't hold the pressure. Not a happy camper.....

100psi is min spec for compression. If you are below that....... time for a rebuild/new engine.

Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM
Greg w

I think I'm gonna go by and see if the auto parts store has a good compression tester fo loan and check again.

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star

Make sure you get the oring to seal good, these deep valve covers can make it hard to see/verify how tight it is. I always give a shot of WD-40 or something on the threads of the tester and down the plug hole (doubles as a little pick me up for the rings too) to help lubricate the threads on install and removal.

I bought a brand new one also, some years ago, tested two holes and pretty soon it seemed like I was getting no reading. I said this cant be true, it ran smooth, no misfire just burn a little oil so doing a ring check. Pretty soon I was fumbling with it and the needle indicator fell off inside the gauge. Like well WTF. Called the store up right away and asked for an exchange. They didn't have the exact same model (which not sure I wanted it) but another one so paid the difference. Still using that one, with what I assume are still accurate readings.

Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM
Greg w

Mystery solved, guys. Thank you for your advice and help. It turns out that number 2 cylinder exhaust lifter collapsed and dropped out the rocker arm. And busted the head. I haven't looked at the driver's side head yet. The either way I'm a long way from finishing up.Thanks again for all of your help.This project has ended

Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM
Greg w

Here's a question for the site administrators.Do I need to delete this thread now?Or will it be deleted automatically?I don't know what to do here.Thank you

Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,317 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg w
Here's a question for the site administrators.Do I need to delete this thread now?Or will it be deleted automatically?I don't know what to do here.Thank you
Nope. You don't need to do anything. We actually keep these threads around (forever and ever, amen) as they generally contain valuable information. So, the next guy coming down the pike doing a search (yeah, I know.....) can find a potential answer to his own questions.

Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star

4.7s like to eat rockers and lifters, if you're looking long term on the motor I'd put all of them in. You don't have to remove the cam just get the follower on base circle with a little effort they snap right out

Quick Reply: 2005 ram 1500 wont start