3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LPG conversion .........finally got it

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 08:38 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LPG conversion .........finally got it

Hope I'm not tempting fate but..................first impressions are FANTASTIC !!!! [sm=happy046.gif]

No loss of power that I can feel and ohh what lovely fuel savings

Plus..............it should keep the tree huggers happy [8D]

Will post pics of the install soon.[sm=Flahssssss.gif]

Old 02-04-2006, 09:20 PM
HemiBuell
Captain
Default RE: LPG conversion .........finally got it

You need to provide some info. Where did you get it, how much $$$, what actual components did you have to install, and most of all where do you fill up on LPG? This is real interesting.

I helped a friend of mine convert his jeep a while back. It was amazing how well his 360 ran after the conversion. The engine would run perfect when the jeep was almost vertical. Only had to kill it when we lost oil pressure.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:07 AM
abarmby
Champion

Here's a link to the manufacturer of the LPG kit. http://www.prins-lpg.com/en/prins/

Here in the UK, we have to have an authorised and certificated installer to fit these kits.
It used to be that anyone could install them, but this has all been tightend up by the government.
Also, our insurance companys require that you submitt a certificate of installation to them, so they can check against a register that the installer who did it was qualified.
Too many people were initally running around in potentially dangerous vehicles.
A bit like when you see some of the mods people do on trucks.....downright deadly.
Anywho, that all meant that I personally, could'nt fit the kit but..........I had choice in where the tanks went filler point and the kit wired and stuff etc.
Taking all this into account and having to have a dealer fit it, the costs are high. My kit cost just under $4000 fully fitted and warrantied for 12mnths........ But if you look at the savings I'll eventually make, and the peace of mind I now have, to be able to ENJOY my truck fully, without litterally having the shine taken off it by worrying about how much it's going to cost me to go somewhere............well .............I personally think it's worth it. I'll hopefully be keeping Hemi (that's what I call him) for a looooong time !!!!! so I will make the purchase price back in savings.
If you look in my previous post, you will see what type of kit I'm running and can look it up on the Prins web site.
We have to go the LPG route with these types of vehicles here in the UK, as $7-8 a gallon and 10 mpg kills us. I can now fill up at a rate of $3.12 a gallon. So, If I fill up with petrol it costs me approx $174 as to LPG costing $79
A BIG saving.
I can get approximately 115 litres of LPG into the tanks which gives a potential of 253 miles at 10mpg. Plus I also have the option of turning back to use the petrol in my tank giving another 300 miles or so.
I guess that would be very usefull in such a big country as yours with the distances you travel?
The truck transitions between petrol and LPG gas seamlessly. You CANNOT tell when you are running on petrol/LPG without looking down at the led display. The engine doesn't miss a beat. They do say, that due to the lower calorific value of LPG compared to petrol, there is a slight power loss..... OK that maybe, but I can't feel it. Maybe you speedsters out there could, but you ALWAYS have the ability to turn back to petrol instantly if you need the little extra performance back. I guess a couple of petrol/LPG runs at the strip would shine a light on this.........?
There is an issue with burned/recessive exhaust valve seats. I believe the 4.7 ltr Magnum engines have soft valve seats? If this is the case, hardened valves and seats are required. The Hemi engine I'm led to belive by Prins, doesn't have this problem.
The emmissions on these kits are very benificial as well. As I say in my previous posting, the environmentalists in our world (which I do agree with) are somewhat appeased. The engine runs much cleaner. Great I guess for Southern California.
In the UK, the government was keen to get people to convert, so suppliers have grown. Not only here, but in Europe as well. So filling up with LPG isn't a problem for us. It might be for you guys in the USA.....?
LPG is readily promoted and advertised as an "alternative fuel" and as such, is seen in a "good light", hence the reduced taxes placed on it, therefore the cheaper price.
I'll get some serious miles put in and post what I think about it a little later.
I'll also post some pictures.
Sorry about the long winded post.
Hope this is informative.[sm=interesting.gif]
Al.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:47 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Sounds great!! How is the mileage with the LPG? The same as gas? I know that propane injection in a diesel is awesome, but never thought about it in a gas engine.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:17 PM
abarmby
Champion

Slight reduction in MPG.............but for me, the cheap cost of the LPG more than makes up for it.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:37 AM
abarmby
Champion

Pictures for you...........

[IMG]local://upfiles/24099/1D1E631978724F26A50C8DC5E959E936.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24099/DA6D9097608A48DE879B195F7FBBBB88.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24099/877CC73C477E4285B6DF0A49E4BFEBF6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24099/A41E40F2056B4E8FA24AE003F5525DC2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24099/713E9DFCAFE847569E735EEC2F747752.jpg[/IMG]

Hope you find them interesting [sm=interesting.gif]

Old 02-06-2006, 10:50 AM
abarmby
Champion

One last picture of the LPG gas reducer.
Also, the black gunk sprayed onto the tanks and reducer is a protective coating/underseal called waxoil.
Al.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:12 PM
motorhead426
All Star

This is very interesting. I've thought of a lot of things to do to my truck, but never LPG. I'm definitely going to research this. The only thing I don't like after seeing your pics, is the placement of the tanks. I already have my spare in the bed, so thats not an issue. I take my truck offroad sometimes, and would worry about damaging the tanks. Other than the tank issue, it looks like a cool set up.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:17 PM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: motorhead426

This is very interesting. I've thought of a lot of things to do to my truck, but never LPG. I'm definitely going to research this. The only thing I don't like after seeing your pics, is the placement of the tanks. I already have my spare in the bed, so thats not an issue. I take my truck offroad sometimes, and would worry about damaging the tanks. Other than the tank issue, it looks like a cool set up.
I was trying for sill mounted "torpedo" style tanks, but they wouldn't quite fit.
You could always fit a skid plate around them?
I only do light offroading, so it isn't so much of an issue for me.
The tanks are placed quite high up into the wheel well and although they don't look it, (pics do lie sometimes) theres not that much difference in clearence between the spare wheel and the tanks from the ground.
As regards to the tanks safety..............they do all sorts of things to them to make sure they would survive an impact. So they're very sturdy. They're pressure tested and will survive a ding/dent or so.
Hope this doesn't put you off. There are many different types and styles of tanks to suite your needs.
Al.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:21 PM
motorhead426
All Star

Thanks for the input. I'm still gonna think about it. Now I just have to find a place I can readily fill up at, LOL. I searched over the link you had for the compnay that sells the components. I saw a kit for the 4.7L, and 5.2L. Do they sell a Hemi kit? Or did you just buy the components seperately?

Quick Reply: LPG conversion .........finally got it