3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best Oil Filter for Dodge RAM 4.7LTR V-8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:34 AM
NYPANAMA
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Oil Filter for Dodge RAM 4.7LTR V-8?

I am presently using Fram, but i was wondering if there were any idea's, as to the best oil filters for the Dodge Ram?

Old 03-22-2006, 01:23 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: Best Oil Filter for Dodge RAM 4.7LTR V-8?

K&N, Purolator PureOne, etc. You can also step up to the Amsoil filtration system, but is nice and spendy.

I've been using the Fram ToughGard filters, which is Fram's best one, but still lacks when compared to others. I'm thinking about switching to Purolator oil filters now that I have an AutoZone clost to my house that has good prices on them.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:38 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been useing the FRAM HP-1 because its the LARGEST filter with the LARGEST flow holes wich means more oil capacity and less restriction. I have been useing it ever since the first 500 miles... I have over 80,000 miles now and have used the HP-1 on every oil change. I have also used Moble 1 since the first 500 miles.. you can get hte Moble1 at Wall Mart in a 5 qt jug for 20.00 bucks..

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 03-22-2006, 02:45 AM
Bruce
Professional

Best oil filter out there is the wix filter,napa auto parts carries them also.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:46 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cut a wix filter open then cut a fram filter open,you will never buy a fram again.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:04 AM
bgden21

Is there a benefit using one bramd vs. the other? I usually just go o the dealer for an oil change and dont use synthetic either.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:54 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Regular dino oil is fine for everyday use. Synthetics are good for people that work thier truck, whether it be on the street or at the construction site. You can go to any synthetic oil website and see what they claim. I like it for its wear properties and longer drain intervals. I'm switching to Mobil1 at 15K and will do 5K mile drain intervals.

When you look at oil filters, there are a couple of characteristics that can make a good filter. First is the actual canister. You want one that is pretty beefy. If you take a good quality oil filter and try to press in the middle of the sidewall you will notice little to no flex, on a cheaper one, it will flex more. Granted the pressure vector force is going the wrong way (as compared to the oil pressure inside pushing out), but you get the idea. Next is the filter media, is it cellulose, synthetic, etc. The synthetic media will have a more uniform pore size in which to trap dirt, but not so much that you sacrifice oil flow. Also, you can look at the inches squared of filter material. Again, you only want to cram so much in there or oil flow will suffer. Next are end caps, do you want cardboard or a more durable metal endcap. There is also anti drain back valves. Silicon and or metal is preferred as it withstands the temps and oils better than regular rubber. The metal anti-drain back valves can leak and cause the oil to leak back, but is normally only insignificant amounts. If you look at the holes in the top of the filter are they small, large?

I suggest you go get a good PureOne filter and compare it to the radioactive orange Fram filter and see for yourself. You can also find websites devoted to oil and the filtration of oil.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Astorm

If any of you are interested in higher capacity, look up an oil filter for a 1996 Ford 5.0/5.8 liter. Its the same diameter and threads, but the depth of the filter is larger, and it will fit the 4.7/5.7

In a Fram, its a PH8A, or Mobil 1 M1-301

Old 03-22-2006, 02:33 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Horseapples

cut a wix filter open then cut a fram filter open,you will never buy a fram again.
I have cut open just about EVERY HP-1 filter I have used and have not seen ANYTHING alarming. They all held up just fine. Keep in mind I have been useing the HP-1 in my 455ci Pontiac for mare years than I can remember... I have NEVER had an issue with one, and I have cut more open than I can remember. Its good practice to cut all your filters open so you can see what is flowing through your engine... This way you will know if you have internal engine damage or not... posibly catch it before a worn bearing turns into a worn crank.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 03-22-2006, 03:51 PM
derwood
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is an interesting oil filter study I came across:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...html#purolator

Quick Reply: Best Oil Filter for Dodge RAM 4.7LTR V-8?