3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

home brew supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 08:51 AM
madgreek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home brew supercharger

in theory, a supercharger is a device that crams more air into an engine throttle body to aid in supplying more oxygen into the combustion chamber . I was at Fry's Electronics finishing up a 3 day stereo upgrade when some high powered 3 inch server turbines (mini fans) caught my eye. About 8 minutes later, my girlfriend's mumbling started to turn into actual words when I had an epiphany. What the hell are doing throwing awAY $6000 at superchargers and turbos for when we could be buy like 2 of these industrial computer tower fans that just happen to be 3 inches wide ( and could probably fit right into the CAI chain somewhere). I drew up some plans for one last night and added a relay switch into the pathway and it looks good on paper, I will post my futile drawings/plans for this inexpensive boost maker so you guys can either have a good laugh or say" Hey! This just might work".

I have already experimentd w/ the CAI extender thru the unused fog lamp terminal and from around 40-65 mph there is significant power increase. Now I wonder why a simple drop-in type industrial strength plastik turbine unit couldnt do the same job as a metal one.... Tell me what you all think. I want to make one up and test it and post the results

Old 10-18-2006, 12:00 PM
brianas
Professional
Default RE: home brew supercharger

I doubt you would be able to develop any psi boost with those fans
you would probably have to do your tests on a chassis dyno to see if
there are any results
but it is interesting
g/l

Old 10-18-2006, 01:04 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Thats an interesting idea but it wont accomplish the same thing though. You may have a semi desent CAI but with the fan only spinning at a constant speed it would lack the pressure to make any real hp off of it. Now if it was a variable speed fan and was connected so that as you rev'd the engine it would increase the fans rpms you might come close to making an extra horse or two. Also the fan may actually hurt the power because it woukd be blocking the air flow into the intake.

Also by the time your done making it and testing it and re testing it and having it dyno'd it might be a little cheaper to go out and buy a turbo/supercharger.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:19 PM
motorhead426
All Star

A few months back I saw a video on some site like "ebuams world" where a bunch of guy used a leaf blower to increase the dyno numbers. The funny thing was that it actually worked. Not saying that its an economical way to boost HP, but it worked.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Max00racer
Veteran

haha yea good luck making an PSI with one of those fans. theres nothing much to them and they dont really run at any high RPMs.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:29 AM
madgreek

I was looking at industrial fans last night and came across a 50 watt 3 inch metal turbine (14 blade). It is for ventilating busy restaurant kitchens quickly. I watched a demo of how quickly it pulled all the smoke out of a room and was amazed. It isnt quiet either. All motorized electronics repond to voltage so the whole "letting the tach send out a signal to control the fan speed" thing should work. I remember seeing an "OverHaulin" episode in which they had partially hooked up a centrifugal (blow-dryer)type supercharger to some older muscle car, and for fun they were aiming the unhooked blower nozzle at eachothers faces and reving the engine to make hats fly off and faces flap around in the breeze. Point being, that the air flow didnt strike me as all that powerful or unatainable through inexpensive means ie; my Fry's Fan Plan. I know I am probably wishing but, I have decided to allot myself a $400.00 budget to find out.

....A wise man once told me, "Every great thing was one man's idea" and I think its about time this whole supercharger thing got refined and made available so people like me, who dont over $100K a year can enjoy some raw power without having to sell off a kidney or something. Alright I am diving in - I'll report back on this..

Peace,

TG.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Jetpig
Professional

Will never work to any appriciable extent. It's all about pressure, not airflow. A fan will aid in air flow but can not hold pressure. In fact you would probably just balance out the airflow restriction of the fan itself with the fans ability to provide air. Once a fan starts to encounter backpressure, the blades on a fan start to stall out and they stop pushing air. What is needed is a turbine. A leaf blower has a turbine. It can sustain and hold pressure, although not more than 1-2PSI. In any case, a fan would do no better than a ram air hood intake.
JMHO

Old 10-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you would be better off putting those fans in your exhaust headders. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

blowers/super chargers and turbos run according to engine RPM to an extent. those fans are pushing 100% 100% of the time, the computer would be useing way too much fuel on the low end to keep up with the added air, then on the top end the engine would be pulling more air than what the fans could push.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:53 PM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Jetpig

Will never work to any appriciable extent. It's all about pressure, not airflow. A fan will aid in air flow but can not hold pressure. In fact you would probably just balance out the airflow restriction of the fan itself with the fans ability to provide air. Once a fan starts to encounter backpressure, the blades on a fan start to stall out and they stop pushing air. What is needed is a turbine. A leaf blower has a turbine. It can sustain and hold pressure, although not more than 1-2PSI. In any case, a fan would do no better than a ram air hood intake.
JMHO
[sm=youreright.gif]

Old 10-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Happydays

I say go for it!! I think I heard somewhere that man would never fly or land on the moon.
Hope you prove all the na sayers wrong.

Quick Reply: home brew supercharger