3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mega Cab AC sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 02:20 AM
Inspector62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mega Cab AC sucks!

ORIGINAL: NYPANAMA42

Inspector62, you're preaching to the choir. I have a 02 Ram Quad Cab, 1500- I noticed it when the temperature hit 95 degrees. I thought there was something wrong with the Coolant level, or the AC Condensor. I was told by the Dodge Dealership that, that's the case with the Ram's....But i am sure going to look into your website.
Good luck Panama. The web site is not mine. It was started by another forum member. I won't state his name here because the thread has been hijacked by a few morons.

Make sure to email him. He is compiling a list and is very helpful.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:26 AM
Inspector62

ORIGINAL: truckin151

I know I dont have a megacab or anything like that but just a stupid question though Have you brought your truck down to the Dodge Dealership you bought it from or any dealership for that matter and have them check it out? I agree that having the same A/C unit in a megacab as I do in a Reg.Cab isnt the brightest of ideas but I think its the same in almost every truck on the market now days. If it was my truck and I had a New Mega cab the first thing I'd do would be to check and make sure its not a user error so check all the ***** and and make sure the its set right (I made that mistake myself the first few days I had my 05' cause it wasn't blowing cold air only cool and wasn't blowing as hard either) and after that I'd bring it back to the dealership and tell the dealership the a/c doesn't work and see what they can do. If it was working for a while and then just slowly stopped I'd have them check the compressor/condenser (specialy check the condenser it has a tendancy to freeze on larger trucks which in return causes the A/C to shut off and blow hot air)/and the freon and check the whole system for leaks. And if all else fails Id take it to an a/c shop and see if they can upgrade the system to blow out colder and harder.
Yes I did. The dealership said it is "functioning as designed." even tho it won't cool the truck. That was a very careful quote by them because they know the design is flawed. They are refusing to do anything. If something is functioning as designed, but the design is flawed, they think that is ok.

Dodge is fully aware this is a design flaw, they just don't want to deal with it or pay to fix it.

I have a copy of one guys service record. It was 91 degrees outside and 97 degrees inside the cab with the AC running for quite a while. This is a design flaw, not a case of operator error or a broken AC.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:31 AM
Inspector62

Maybe this will help clear up some of the confusion. As stated above, I have a copy of a service record (not mine) that says the inside of the mega cab was 97 degrees while it was only 91 degrees outside. That is not a misprint. It was 6 degrees hotter in the cab than the outside temp. The AC had been running for several minutes and it was still hotter inside than it was outside.

The Dodge dealership said in writing that the AC was functioning as designed. Again - not my truck, someone else's

I guess I just have a different idea of what air conditioning is. If you think that 6 degrees hotter in the cab than outside the cab is acceptable, then flame away.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:40 AM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

inspector 62... chill out... you dont have to be such a pompous jerk to everyone who isnt on your side.... and you know what would help, run the a/c full blast with the windows open to blow all the hot air out... mainly have your rear windows down and the front vents do the work.. its a quicker cool down.... it beats trying to cool down acompletely sealed truck thats hot... nothing works in a snap of your fingers... and not to sound like a schmuck... i know this isnt related but, i have a 95 chrysler cirrus that was known for constant stalling... went to the dealer serval times when it was in my parents name.. they kept replacing distributors left and right... but i took the initiative and fixed the problem myself... never stalls anymore... and i rubbed my accomplisment in those ******** faces... yea i know you spent 45K on it but sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and do something yourself instead of blaming it on someone else and start goin on about lawsuits... im here to help... ive been working/training on diesel engines for 2 years now, specializing in cummins and caterpillar... granted i cant answer everything but i can give it a shot... if your problem persists... file your truck as a lemon.. thats really how far its gonna go.. take it easy

Old 10-26-2006, 02:51 AM
Inspector62

Not sure where the pompous jerk comment came from. I didn't attack anyone, I was only responding to attacks.

Opening windows and running it full blast is a no brainer. It is nothing more than the owners manual says and anyone with common sense already knows.

You say I should do something myself. You're the mechanic, what should I do?

Old 10-26-2006, 02:54 AM
mmorgan78

Maybe try tinting the windows. Even as much of the windshield as is legal. It helps a lot.

Good luck on the lawsuit, fellas. We need more of that like we need more impractical, inefficient vehicles on the road.

I do not own a Mega Cab. Or a Cummins. No, not even a Hemi. Sorry for trespassing.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:56 AM
f0x672
Champion

you could either deal with the problem until chrysler figures out what to do cause that is an engineering problem with the vent flow... or as a redneck would do, shove a house a/c in the window and wire it up.. hell... that will cool it down quicker

Old 10-26-2006, 04:11 AM
silverram99
Captain

ORIGINAL: Inspector62

Not sure where the pompous jerk comment came from. I didn't attack anyone, I was only responding to attacks.

I won't state his name here because the thread has been hijacked by a few morons.

I should get a life? I'm not the moron posting on threads that don't concern me, and you're not one of the many that paid $45K for a truck with no AC.

Seriously "dude", think before you type. If your truck had no real AC, you'd feel differently.

You have NO FRIGGIN IDEA HOW SERIOUS THIS PROBLEM IS "DUDE".

Once again, if you don't have a mega cab with no AC, keep your opinion. If you had no AC and Dodge was not willing to do anything out it, you'd feel differently too.

If you don't have a mega cab with no AC, why would you even waste the time to post when you have NO friggin idea how serious this problem is.

No, you didn't attack anyone and I for one can't imagine why anyone would even think of calling you a pompous jerk. *Sarcasm*

Get off your high horse and accept that everything isn't perfect, do you do everything right the first time? Give Dodge a chance to do something about it, a problem like this can't be solved overnight.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:40 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

Hey Inspector62, Dodge has a website where you can ask them questions, about issues you're having with your vehicle.
Dr. Z website, allows you the opportunity of asking question directly. Although i don't have a Mega cab, i do have Quad cab, and the A.C. on the Quad cab, takes a while to cool of the cab of the truck. So i understand your concern. You have a extremely large vehicle, you expect to have a AC system which can handle the vehicle.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:43 PM
nathanp
Captain

im still sitting here pondering and thinking about what this "super serious issue" is because your ac doesnt make it an ice box in the cab. No a/c should take a truck when it is 91 out and in a few minutes make it freezing cold, just isnt logical dude. Not saying there is nothing wrong with dodge a/c systems, but u just gotta live with it and accept it till they fix it.

Quick Reply: Mega Cab AC sucks!