3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

is this a scam???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Denniss66
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a scam???

i put my truck up for sale in the classifieds and some guy emails me saying he will send me a cheque for 31000 when im asking 25500 for it. then he says his company will come pick up the truck i take 25500 and 200 for something and then i give the guy picking it up the 5000 or so cash. what do you guys think would happen. i think that the cheque will go nsf the guy has my truck and 5000 and some cash and i got the loan.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:30 PM
stump_breaker
Captain
Default RE: is this a scam???

You're kidding right?
Do watch the news at all? Read the paper? Look on the internet?
Yes it's a scam. They send you fake money orders/checks/cashiers checks/ etc.
They just had this SAME incident reported on the local news here the past few weeks. A woman got scammed out of $4000 because the guy sent cashiers checks which the bank verified, that turned out to be fake after the deal was done.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Foiled
Veteran

My friend sold his 03 Ram and he posted it in Truck Trader. He got a similar response that you did.

His offer was from someone in Canada and the check thing was the same. He wanted him to cash the check and "keep a little for his self" and give a lump sum to the person picking up the truck.

Yes this is a scam. This scam is played out many different ways. The idea is they will find someone in good standing with their bank and the bank will cash this cashier’s check having your savings/checking backing the check. You will receive the check in your mail 1 day before or the day of the pick up so when the check bounces your truck is gone and you have signed the title over already. The back comes to you for the bounced check and since it was a cashier’s check written on an account that is closed or has insufficient funds you lose.

The only way you are safe is to accept a Certified Check or a Money order. Both of those are backed with cash.

Think about it. If this person sent you a check for the truck and did not have a bill of sale for the truck you could deny the pick up person the truck and no one could force you to give it up and you would have the cash from the check. No one would take that risk with that kind of money. Too good to be true normally = Scam.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:37 PM
motorider228
Champion

only way I would sell a car for a check is if they came with me to the bank to deposit it then I would sign the papers in the parking lot and let them drive away. Why are you selling your truck?

Old 01-19-2007, 05:43 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

there are also a lot of fake money orders. Nothing is safe. Heck, I was handed a counterfit $1 bill yesterday at a local truck stop! The print on the front of the paper was caddy-cornered. I don't know how it got as far as it did.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Foiled
Veteran

ORIGINAL: motorider228

only way I would sell a car for a check is if they came with me to the bank to deposit it then I would sign the papers in the parking lot and let them drive away. Why are you selling your truck?
You are still responsible if the check bounces if you deposit it in your account. The only safe funds are cash or cash equivalent, like Certified Checks or Federal MO, AMEX MO. Those are backed by real Cash not backed by someone’s account.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:54 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star

its a scam that your selling your truck!

Old 01-19-2007, 06:14 PM
tnt1036
Professional

The only way I would take even takea cashiers check is if the bank president himself gauranteed me it was for real. I am a police officer and have saw a few people fall for this type of scam. "I won the Nigerian Lottery" Ijust have toWestern Union 5 Grand to Canada afterI cash the check. Well a week later the Bank calls and says the cashiers check is fake and they want their money.My first question,do you even know where Nigeria is?Second, do you play the Nigerian Lottery? IF THE DEAL IS TO GOOD THEN IT IS PROBABLY NOT FOR REAL. On the other hand I bet that if you did the deal they would never come and pick up the truck

Old 01-19-2007, 07:04 PM
DelawareDon
Professional

If I were you I would be contacting my local law enforcement agencies to see what could be done to solicit their cooperation in apprehending these scum.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:30 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

Really there is not a damn thing you can do. Mostly because the scams are coming out of another country. Yes they usually do have a front man here, but the worst that will happen is that they get deported. Nigeria seems to be the scam captiol of the world.

Whenever you sell your truck always ask for:

real hard green CASH

If they want to payyou in any other matter (besides paypal) have them agree to meet you at your bank, where your bank can verify the funds, in person. That is the safest way, IMHO.

Quick Reply: is this a scam???