3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Car Stereo Guru's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 02:06 AM
Stroker
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Stereo Guru's?

First you need to remember I'm not building something for competition when you answer this. I am building a speaker enclosure for my truck. I currently have a Sony X-Plod deck and just bought a 250watt Sony X-plod amp. I will be able to fit 12s in my inclosure but I don't know what I should get. I have seen a pair of x-plods for a little under $150 shipped but I'm a tight wad and would like to spend less if possible. I don't want junk, I am spending a good amount of time and money building this so I want a clear sound and I want it to last. Any good generic brands worth looking at? Can I realisticly do better then the New Xplods I found? Is there even any advantage to keeping everything the same brand?

Old 02-19-2007, 02:33 AM
shnormo
Veteran
Default RE: Car Stereo Guru's?

How deep is your inclosure. Let me know through a PM and i'll let you know what will fit better.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:07 AM
Stroker
Veteran

I plan to copy this https://dodgeforum.com/m_505745/tm.htmI beleive this will create a vented inclosure, or should I figure out how to seal it completly? Remember not doin competition here just want to feel the bass a little, and fill in that missing something.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:52 AM
ride_002000
Professional

$150 for (1) sub or (2). You can get (1) good sub for under $80 and that will be enough for good bass. I have a 600 watt Coustic amp and one 12" MTX 4500 and it sounds awesome. And if your running (2) 12" subs on that little 250 watt amp it wont be too loud. I would get a bigger amp to run two subs. And if you doing exactly what that guy did with his enclosure, 12's will fit, because his did.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:46 AM
BigNelly07
Professional

if you want to use 1 amp to run 2 speakers, your going to have to bridge the connections in series. That will cut your 4 ohm speakers to a 2 ohm load at the amp, which would make your 250watt amp push 500 (in theory). Also, the type of enclosure will dictate what type of bass you get. A ported enclosure will give a drone, like a boooooooooom booooooooooooom whereas a sealed enclosure will give the hammer type of bass, BOOM BOOM. It all depends on the type of music you listen to. If you want the best of both worlds, I would suggest going to a stereo shop and having them build you a bandpass enclosure. I say go to a shop because the bandpass box is VERY complex in design, but doesnt take up much space.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Stroker
Veteran

150 is for a pair of 1300 watt 12's. I am realy thinking along the lines of a pair of 10's or 1 12 now though because I'm not sure about that amp. As far as having an inclosure built, I can get the amp, speakers, materials, and everything else needed just for the price one of those inclosures would cost.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:24 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

I was talkingto a local car stereo owner not that long ago, looking for a new set of subs myself, and he said that Sony won't be producing anymore car audio products. I havn't gone online to confirm this, but if you are going to be spending some hard earned money, you may want to go with a company that isn't getting rid of an entire line of product. It all depends on what kind of music you are into... if you are into hard hitting bass rap, go with Kicker... if you are into alternative, rock, etc, go with JL... and if you are into just about everything, look into Rockford Fosgate. As in everything with performance, there are several levels of "performance" to each of these brands. Best Buy, crutchfield and others like that typically sell the base models, go to a serious sound shop if you looking for higher end equipment. If you are looking to build your own enclosure.. check out http://www.bcae1.com

Old 02-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Stroker
Veteran

Here’s what I found here. 2 12" JL Audio W3 dual voice used but look like they are in good condition (one does have a small wrinkle in the outer foam ring should this be a concern) for $125. I know my little amp won't push both of these but if this is a good deal I could get them and just run one then if this alleged POS Sony amp (I sure thought Sony was a name brand) does indeed bite the dust then I will have everything else there and might be able to justify getting a "Real" amp. BTW as much as I appreciate your advice I have already spent the money on the amp so please stop knocking what I have and give me the advice I need to make the best of it. Thanks. Ok the last coment is really for another forum I am copiing this from but please don't start bashing me here too.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Ben D.
Champion

ORIGINAL: Stroker

First you need to remember I'm not building something for competition when you answer this. I am building a speaker enclosure for my truck. I currently have a Sony X-Plod deck and just bought a 250watt Sony X-plod amp. I will be able to fit 12s in my inclosure but I don't know what I should get. I have seen a pair of x-plods for a little under $150 shipped but I'm a tight wad and would like to spend less if possible. I don't want junk, I am spending a good amount of time and money building this so I want a clear sound and I want it to last. Any good generic brands worth looking at? Can I realisticly do better then the New Xplods I found? Is there even any advantage to keeping everything the same brand?
if you didn't want junk you shoudln't have bought xplod. Compared to any good brands even ones that arnt my favorites like MTX and kicker stomp sony xplod productts. also answer me this is the xplod amp 250 watts RMS or Peak wattage. or just tell me the model number.I gaurantee its' 250 peak which means that your only getting a constant 125 watts maybe rms. buy telling you peak watage it is a gimmic sony and a few others use to make you buy the amp thinking your getting somehting that you're not. any reputable company advertises rms.

I need to know what music you listen to to give you a better idea of the type of enclosure and subwoofer size. if you like rap you want ported box and 12" subs or larger. if rock and roll then sealed is better and a 10" will perform better.
better.
and yes from your last post that sony amp is a p.o.s. I suggest going with a JL audio, Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, MTX. They are all good my favorites are JL audio and Rockford fosgate.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Ben D.
Champion

ORIGINAL: BigNelly07

if you want to use 1 amp to run 2 speakers, your going to have to bridge the connections in series. That will cut your 4 ohm speakers to a 2 ohm load at the amp, which would make your 250watt amp push 500 (in theory). Also, the type of enclosure will dictate what type of bass you get. A ported enclosure will give a drone, like a boooooooooom booooooooooooom whereas a sealed enclosure will give the hammer type of bass, BOOM BOOM. It all depends on the type of music you listen to. If you want the best of both worlds, I would suggest going to a stereo shop and having them build you a bandpass enclosure. I say go to a shop because the bandpass box is VERY complex in design, but doesnt take up much space.
yea in theory definately. and what happens if the amp isn't rated for that low of a resistance????? either fried if your unlucky or it just won't turn on and will stay in protect mode. Now as for briding them in series at the amp um that depends on the amp and the subs. We need to know more about the amp and the subs as far as if the amp is a class D or a Class A/B amp and fi the subs are DVC or SVC sooo many variables that we don't know to even consider hwo to wire. I do agree with you that briding the outputs at the amp will take a 4 ohm load to a 2 ohm load but we don't know if he will even need to bridge the outputs or if he will not. If it's a class D then probably not but if class A/B then he definately will.

Quick Reply: Car Stereo Guru's?