3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Polishing 20" Alum. Sport Wheels????

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:05 PM
smeurett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing 20" Alum. Sport Wheels????

Hi, new to the forum and just bought a '02 Dodge Ram Sport (4X4) with 20" "chrome" 5 spoke wheels. I worked 2 hrs on them today trying to get them looking good-you know-chrome shiny...and had so-so results. Tried Turdle wax Chrome polish, and several other polishes. Found that some spray on tire foam brought out the best shine, but still not great. I'm guessing these wheels are Aluminum and coated with a plastic maybe? My old '92 Ford F-150 had coated chrome wheels and they looked terrible once the coating got chipped.

Any help on what you guys use to make 'em look great???

Old 03-18-2007, 11:12 PM
djr04
All Star
Default RE: Polishing 20" Alum. Sport Wheels????

There's actually two versions of the 20" wheels, the actual chrome clad, and the aluminum. The aluminum will never quite get as shiny as the chrome clad.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:39 AM
smeurett

Thanks...that's what I thought-the other sport wheels I've seen on trucks seemed like mirrors compared to mine. Any recommendations for the aluminum ones?

Old 03-19-2007, 11:27 AM
dillyw
Professional

Hi , i only use dish soap and water once they are dry just use a clean cloth for the water spots. Than they look like mirrors, this also depends an what shape their in .

Old 03-19-2007, 01:54 PM
RBChallenger

There is also the option of polishing them to a mirror finish. I have polished plenums, valve covres, fuel rails etc in other vehicles to a mirror shine. Aluminum will shine up just like chrome if enough time and attention is paid. Check out www.eastwood.com, they have a huge buffing and polishing section. Something Tipoli white rouge and plastic or jewelers compound will get you there. And then I prefer to use Mothers aluminum and chrom polish to keep them nice and shiny. If you dont find what you are looking for or are confused PM me and Ill send you more links. Eastwood also has a video on how to polish etc... though i've never seen it I have heard it is quite good.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:13 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

Theres some incredible stuff i found at a car show called master formula. It will make a pop can shine like brand new chrome. The stuff works wonders. I buy mine off ebay there is a polish and then a protective coat to put over it.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:25 PM
dswan414
Rookie

Does that white-wall bleaching stuff brighten Alums up any? Chromes?

Old 03-20-2007, 12:55 AM
smeurett

Hey thanks.....what I'm afraid of is do these alum wheels have aplastic coating? From your reply, I'd guess no (unlike my old F-150, which had coated alum chrome wheels).
If anyone had worked on these wheels to look great, LMK. I do jewelery work, so I have a lot of Tripoli, Rough and other polishing compounds. Soooo Mothers would be a good buffing unit to try??? I will read up on the other polishes mentioned here (www.eastwood.com,master formula) -thanks.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:11 AM
damquick1
Veteran

Mother's mag polish and one of those Mother's powerballs...you can get both at Autozone and/or Wallymart

Old 03-25-2007, 09:27 PM
silverblue1989

Just by tapping on the wheel you can tell by the sound if you have the plastic faced chrome wheels. If you have them and they are dull, there is very little you can do to restore a shine. Any harse polishes will probably scratch the finish and make them look worse. Waxing or using a window cleaner or plastic cleaner is probably the only way to safely polish them to whatever shine they have. Someone may have cleaned them incorrectly in the past and damaged the finish so they will never shine properly.

Quick Reply: Polishing 20" Alum. Sport Wheels????