4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Tie Rod Recall Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011 | 09:15 PM
devile
|
Professional
Default Tie Rod Recall Experience

I dropped my truck off at the early morning drop.

They called a few hours later, and I setup everything:
-4wd service (diffs and transfercase fluid changes)
-140 point inspection (make sure all warranty items are still good)
-oil change
-tire rotation
and RECALL on tie rod ends.

At about noon (5 hours in) the service writer(SW) called me to say that he's just getting underway. The recall may or may not need to be done, as they are flying through the parts like crazy, and they seem to be on a 2-3week back order. *GREAAAAAAAAAAT*

After of the truck being there for 9 hours I go to pick it up and I get:

He's just completing the inspection, and he will let me know if he finds anything in the morning.

When I asked about the recall, she said her other customers tie rods just arrived, as he's been waiting 3.5 weeks, but she will call him and tell him they sent the wrong parts. Meaning I would get those tie rods put on. She showed me the list of people waiting for tie rods, it was atleast 10 pages, with 15-20 names per page.

I'm happy the tie rods are getting done, but feel bad for everyone else ahead of me, especially the guy who's being lied too.

I am also told that the Toe would be adjusted free of charge, but dodge recommends a alignment for $70. I asked why this wasn't covered, and she said that dodge says an alignment should be done each year, as part of maintenance... I am going to pay it as I want it done, but I will be sending the invoice, along with a letter to chrysler.

Plus the annoyance of being told it would be done by the time I picked it up (9 freaking hours), not to mention I have had the appointment for two weeks.

I understand that they must finish things from the night before, but, 9 freaking hours! And the appointment time was set for when they opened.

Atleast this dealer has some stupid card thing that applies 10% of my service bills to a 'card' that I can spend on future service visits(silly hooks) or on parts. Atleast their MOPAR accessories are the cheapest in the city. I'll prolly spend that 10% on something for the truck, then NEVER RETURN!...

She also tried to talk me into spark plugs, because 'when they do it' the computer is 'updated,' the plugs are changed, and they 'clean' the fuel injectors... I didn't even ask the price. I'll do the plugs my self, and run some $10 fuel injector cleaner through the system...

Well, there's my story.

Old 09-09-2011 | 12:11 AM
72combo
Champion

Wow I asked if they would do the rest of the alignment half price since on the rack anyway said nope. Didn't have a pay structure or some dam thing. Tie rod ends went on no sweat hopefully they are not the same crap, but took total of 3 days to fix my heater or the control of the HVAC system it had a raccoon in it or something. Sounded that way LOL, but all good for now.

Old 09-09-2011 | 12:13 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Similar experience here, very aggressive pushing of things you don't need and hoping to catch you agreeing to pay for it. You F'd up when you agreed to pay for the alignment, where in the owners maintenance manual does it say it's required? It is "recommended", not "required"!! So now you have to get your money back, that is B.S. I like my truck but the dealer experience and the way Chrysler washes it's hands of any responsibility by saying that the dealers are independent and it's not their issue will probably lead me to never buy another Dodge. I'm basically done with the dealer and from this point on, will use them only for warranty work and for the rest use either independent shops or do the work myself. Any warranty issues where there are disagreements will most likely be handled by small claims court. I have an '09 with lifetime warranty so I expect there will be a few battles.

Old 09-09-2011 | 01:23 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
I like my truck but the dealer experience and the way Chrysler washes it's hands of any responsibility by saying that the dealers are independent and it's not their issue will probably lead me to never buy another Dodge.
Just curious, what makes you think any other brand is any different? I've had friends or relatives buy GM, Ford, and even Toyota products before, and the dealerships are almost exactly the same style.

Old 09-09-2011 | 10:19 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jasonw
Just curious, what makes you think any other brand is any different? I've had friends or relatives buy GM, Ford, and even Toyota products before, and the dealerships are almost exactly the same style.
I've been a GM owner for years and this is my first Dodge. I bought the dodge because I liked the Hemi, the looks of the truck and the deal was great - over $10K off MSRP. My experience with the GM/Chevy dealers has been a lot more pleasant that with my current Dodge one. GM has worked with me in the past when repairs where required after the warranty had lapsed. Overall my GM experience was a good one with the dealers.

Old 09-09-2011 | 11:00 PM
2daks
Professional

Shouldn't the alignment be part of the tie rod replacement? It is part of the steering after all.
Just got my notice today and it did state to call ahead and make sure parts are available. Glad to see that works.

Old 09-10-2011 | 08:31 PM
devile
|
Professional

Originally Posted by 2daks
Shouldn't the alignment be part of the tie rod replacement? It is part of the steering after all.
Just got my notice today and it did state to call ahead and make sure parts are available. Glad to see that works.
They said the TOE was included... which is all the tie rods affect. but recommend a alignment

Old 09-11-2011 | 06:15 PM
2daks
Professional

Toe alignment.That sounds right. Good to know info though for us yet to go in.

Old 09-20-2011 | 02:16 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
I've been a GM owner for years and this is my first Dodge. I bought the dodge because I liked the Hemi, the looks of the truck and the deal was great - over $10K off MSRP. My experience with the GM/Chevy dealers has been a lot more pleasant that with my current Dodge one. GM has worked with me in the past when repairs where required after the warranty had lapsed. Overall my GM experience was a good one with the dealers.
Then you are in a pretty unique area. Out here, until the Chevrolet/GMC dealership bought the Dodge/Chrysler dealership, the GMC unit was by far the shadiest. Now they are both pretty iffy, since they are owned by the same idiots.

Old 09-20-2011 | 09:03 AM
MiRamDriver
Professional

I am yet to find a decent dealership. I don't know that I'll be purchasing another Crysler product due to it.

Quick Reply: Tie Rod Recall Experience