4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

BT Oil Catch Can installed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 12:37 PM
72combo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LU229
I dont think anyone doing the emmisions test can say anything as long as your vehicle pass`s the test. Ther is a huge gray area inbetween whats legal and whats not. I would love to debate the EPA on oil catch can`s whether they are legal or not. I would say to the EPA, how can you make it illegal if its stops raw oil from entering the combustion chamber and being burned and then exiting the tail pipes into the atmosphere. (and lets not forget, burning oil plugs up catylitic convertors) I`m not happy with the EPA as a whole, BUT, i`m glad they are making the auto industry step up and pull better mpg`s from vehicles today. What i DONT agree with, is how they can dictate what you can do to your truck AFTER you buy it. If they want to dictate the manufactuer, GOOD, but after it leaves the factory, it should be up to the owner to do what they want with it, especially if you are making it run more efficient than when it left the factory. If a person is worried about what the testing facility will think (or dictate) , then do a very clean professional install with the oil catch can, get rid of the shiney looking chrome look to it, paint it black and it will blend right in and never even be seen. If you`re going to leave it all shiney and chrome looking and sticking out there like a fly on a wedding cake, then you can very well expect them to question you about it. Keep it out of sight, they`ll likely never bother you about it. Another thing you can do, take it off before your tests, put it back on when you get home. Pretty much a no brainer about this subject anyway.
The no brainer here is not what you imply it is the fact that the factory has to adhere to x,y,z rules set out by EPA in the US I don't know who here in Canada so why would aftermarket installations not have to adhere or the automakers would have a great court case to be able to build things a bit differently. Anyway thanks for the info. I may just pull it off after all it's once every 5 years the first time so I have 2 and change to go then I am not sure of the schedule.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:40 PM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 72combo
The no brainer here is not what you imply it is the fact that the factory has to adhere to x,y,z rules set out by EPA in the US I don't know who here in Canada so why would aftermarket installations not have to adhere or the automakers would have a great court case to be able to build things a bit differently. Anyway thanks for the info. I may just pull it off after all it's once every 5 years the first time so I have 2 and change to go then I am not sure of the schedule.
Sorry about that, once AGAIN i forgot to be more specific in very grave detail on the dodgeforum.
Ok, i`m not debateing what the EPA laws & issues are, or WHO has to abide by them in the good ole USA, but we DO know, that the manufactuers have to abide by the EPA "XYZ" rules in the USA. So BASICALLY what i was trying to say, its YOUR vehicle, YOU paid for it, YOU should be able to do anything YOU want, to improve it. YES, the factory HAS to "adhere" to EPA laws, but why should we the people, that own these vehicles...!
Not EVERYBODY mods their vehicle, so i see no reason for the GOV/EPA to stick their nose`s into the business of a non-commercial privately owned vehicle.
What i mean`t by the statement of "No Brainer", was how much brains does it take, that if you think your vehicle wont pass an emmisions test because of "aftermarket items" you`ve installed, to take the **** back off, then re-install it all back on the vehicle when you`re done with the emmisions tests.

Last edited by LU229; 12-11-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:15 PM
72combo
Champion

I do get that part we should be able to do what we want with our vehicles but whatever we do does have to meet safety standards, the same ones more or less the factory does. I can't understand why they would not have a catch can on these or some better system of getting rid of the oil without putting it through the combustion system. Or do they have it there for a purpose....only one I can see is throttle body cleaning frequency increase, plugs fouling . I am sure there are several other things but having never even seen inside one of these motors ?????

Old 12-24-2011, 04:13 PM
18D&Z
Default Solution to the oil catch can on the 2011

I went to put the BT oil catch can on and notice that where the hoses were supposed to go there was a line that went from one port to the other end. Am I suppose to remove this and place the catch can in between?

Attached Thumbnails BT Oil Catch Can installed...-2011-bt-oil-catch-can-solution-2.jpg   BT Oil Catch Can installed...-2011-bt-oil-catch-can-solution-1.jpg  
Old 12-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 18D&Z
I went to put the BT oil catch can on and notice that where the hoses were supposed to go there was a line that went from one port to the other end. Am I suppose to remove this and place the catch can in between?
Yes, you completely remove that hose, and use the hoses that came supplied w/ your BT Can and install the can in between the Throttle Body (First pic you posted) and the PCV (Second Pic you posted).

Old 12-25-2011, 12:34 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by 18D&Z
If you can, please post some really good picture after your install.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

18D&Z did you figure it out?

LU, are my pictures on page 1 and 3 not good enough for you?!?! lol j/k bro.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:33 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816
18D&Z did you figure it out?

LU, are my pictures on page 1 and 3 not good enough for you?!?! lol j/k bro.
heheheheheeeee, yeah they might have been ok, but your headlights are so dang bright that i cant see your pics now, i was blinded by the mikey lights...LOL LOL LOL. Just kiddn bro, i forgot you had posted them earlier. I went back firther in the post and checked them out....NICE install buddie, and thanks for bringing it to my attention about your install pics.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by LU229
heheheheheeeee, yeah they might have been ok, but your headlights are so dang bright that i cant see your pics now, i was blinded by the mikey lights...LOL LOL LOL. Just kiddn bro, i forgot you had posted them earlier. I went back firther in the post and checked them out....NICE install buddie, and thanks for bringing it to my attention about your install pics.
thanks and no problem bro.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Even though when 18D&Z installs his, he should still post pics for sure!

Quick Reply: BT Oil Catch Can installed...