4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Stock tires on snow

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:14 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock tires on snow

How are the factory tires on snow?

Old 10-11-2011, 05:26 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Which ones? The tires that came on my 17's were fine in the snow and lasted around 50K miles

Old 10-11-2011, 05:36 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

good year wranglers i think are on the 2011 1500

Old 10-11-2011, 06:44 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
good year wranglers i think are on the 2011 1500
Which wranglers? They make many models and it depends on what size wheels you got on the truck.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:10 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Many say that the Factory 20's are crap, but I have had good service out of mine. 52K and still have 1/4 tread. Been in snow and ice storms. I can't really complain. I have a 2wd and never got stuck or lost control. I won't buy another set because I like the BFG Long Trail T/A's and will be installing them before winter.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

I lived through a snowy MN winter on them. I think they are fairly crappy and certainly not 'good' winter tires, but I never felt unsafe (well, except when towing a bobcat on a trailer with surge brakes during the first snowfall of the winter, but that was to be expected). As long as you have 4x4 I think you'll be fine living with them. Just realize they don't stop as well as dedicated winter tires do. The 'good' thing is they wear really fast so you can replace them with decent tires soon...

Rob

Old 10-11-2011, 08:22 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are the tires I'm installing this coming thursday, I had the BFG's long trail TA's on my '08 Explorer and after 15k miles they still look brand new, hardly any thread loss. Great all season tire too, especially winter.

To OP, the Goodyears for did well the first two winters, but my thread went down horribly fast. Not sure I'd want see a third winter, I've had enough fun with wet conditions this summer.

Originally Posted by lxman1
Many say that the Factory 20's are crap, but I have had good service out of mine. 52K and still have 1/4 tread. Been in snow and ice storms. I can't really complain. I have a 2wd and never got stuck or lost control. I won't buy another set because I like the BFG Long Trail T/A's and will be installing them before winter.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:55 PM
ridem high
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In most cases it's how you drive,and not being a dare devil.Easy breaking and take off,with slow cornering.Having 4WD makes a big difference.My personal preference is a beefy all-terrain,or a mud tire,exp..nitto terra grappler,or nitto mud grappler.I have had wonderful success with the mud grapplers in every situation,as well as procomp x-terrains I have now.It seemed like the factory good for a years packed in snow pretty bad.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:09 PM
oldjeep
Champion

I run the Firestone Destination AT's now. Good snow tire, don't make a ton of noise and they seem to be wearing well.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:38 PM
wellstep
Professional

I found that the Goodyear 20" Wrangler HP were not that great live in Northeast and I found them OK but did have to use 4wd more then I would have thought. I had 47K on mine and actually had new tire mounted today because did not want to go through another winter with them. Also they seemed to be cupping and the dealer tells me they checked the suspension and all was good. Also tried to give me a line that that starts to happen with these tires. Well I had the Tie Rod recall done and alignment. They then mounted the Cooper Zeon LTZ that I got from Fleet Farm with he buy 3 get one free and free shipping. So since the alignment was done as part of the recall I got the tires, mounting, and balancing all done for $659.00 thought that was pretty good.

Quick Reply: Stock tires on snow