4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Best Bulbs out there.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:50 PM
RAMULAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey LU229. I took your advice as well and adjusted the lights up 3 turns and it did make a good bit of difference for me. Just waiting to see how the oncoming traffic handles it. I livve in the Boonies so cresting hills with oncoming cars gets you an eye full of headlight when you are not expecting it. If I get too many high beam flashes I'll turn it down one notch. I noticed a difference before hand when I had a full load of fire wood in the back when driving at night. Makes sense to adjust them up a bit.......

Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Jeefer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a good solution that worked great for me. I didn't want the HID lights either, so I went with PIAA xtreme white bulbs for the low beam H11.
and then got some Phillips 9011 HIR 1 bulbs for the high beam. WOW! what a difference, the high beams put out twice as much light as the stock bulbs did. the PIAA's are noticibly better than stock but maybe 40% brighter. But the Phillips HIR (Halogen Infrared Reflective) are just amazing, and much cheaper than going HID. I got mine on Amazon but you can also get them from candlepower.com or HIRheadlights.com . check it out these things are killer! same wattage but up to 110% more light, best alternative to HID in my opinion.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:58 PM
InterpunX
Captain

Originally Posted by LU229
Did you install projector`s in your truck when you switched to HID bulbs...?
Yes I have the gorecon.com headlights on my truck with hid in the projectors. The black truck pictured on their site is actually my truck. I have a pair of 6" hid spotlights on my bullbar and hid in the fog lights and its plenty. My highbeams are still piaa's xtreme white with a blue tint wwinder hehe, but I literally don't use my highbeams because it don't make a difference with the hid's on, also need them for driving lights in canada.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:43 PM
WNDERR
Veteran

The amethyst blue coating on a Silverstar Bulb, does not make it blue light. It actually filters out unwanted colors, to make the light more white. The color of the light emitted is actually very close to daylight. Which is why reflectivity of the lit object is so good. Look at a Silverstar bulb, and that white light will burn into your eyeballs. No doubt as to the color.

Because of this, Silverstar bulbs are the bulb of choice for long distance motorcyclists.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Patsfan
Professional

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816
You never know you might use it again...

I'd be contacting the dealer and ask them to give you a new adjuster screw that's bs... the holes are pretty easily identifiable w/ the arrow pointing at it, look closely...
Sorry, I should clarify. On each fender there are only two holes, one elongated and one circular with an adjusting screw. Hence each side has an adjusting screw which I used to raise the lights three turns and it makes a good difference on the backroads at night. I like the white of the Silverstars better than the stock yellow and as mentioned they give a better shoulder view. With the adjustment I'm close to what I wanted for distance without anyone flashing lights at me. So thanks for the tips but I'll still be looking at a different solution in the future. I may consider Silverstars in the future if they offer the ultras for the H13s.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:04 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by WNDERR
It's true - do your research, I did, a long time ago! Many of the wavelengths of blue light are not visible to the human eye. Silverstar are among the whitest lights out there.

(By the way, blue lights are illegal almost everywhere - DOT regs specify white or yellow.)
I`ve done my homework, and putting blue coating on a regular bulb actually reduces light output.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 PM
LU229
Banned

I might have to try a couple of these, but they ARE a bit pricey

www.hirheadlights.com

Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by RAMULAK
Hey LU229. I took your advice as well and adjusted the lights up 3 turns and it did make a good bit of difference for me. Just waiting to see how the oncoming traffic handles it. I livve in the Boonies so cresting hills with oncoming cars gets you an eye full of headlight when you are not expecting it. If I get too many high beam flashes I'll turn it down one notch. I noticed a difference before hand when I had a full load of fire wood in the back when driving at night. Makes sense to adjust them up a bit.......
AWESOME..!!! Glad to hear that it helped...!
Take a look at this link and see what you think www.hirheadlights.com

Old 12-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Marcellus

So far i have had an 09 and 2 2010s, the stock lights are not good, that being said, we have about 90 Ram's in our operation with almost 80 being 1500s. I did the silver stars and had the head light adjested, still not happy. Next step is PIAA driving lights I guess.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

I added a set of KC LED driving lights to my light array, and I'm now happy. Here's my setup..
PIAA Xtreme
Lightforce 140
KC LED
KC LED
Lightforce 140
PIAA Xtreme
Its really incredible how much easier it is to drive when you can see.

Quick Reply: Best Bulbs out there.