4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Best Bulbs out there.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 02:34 AM
mdram43
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from my years of experience, and 3 rams, silverstars are bright, but HIDs are worth the install. and are the same price as silverstars.

Get a set of hids off ddmtuning, and you will never have to mess with them after you install them.

ive done everything from each bulb silverstar makes, to aftermarket to projectors, to aftermarket lights like PIAA,

and HIDs has been the best bang for the buck

Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I hated my stock bulbs and replaced them within a month after buying my '04 brand spankin' new off the lot.
I just bought sylvania ultras at the auto parts store. They weren't very expensive, were 100% better than the stockers and I still have them in seven years later.

BTW, watch those HIDs. I work with law enforcement, county government and the court system and there are starting to be a lot of local laws being passed regarding automotive lighting in general and HID lights specifically. It won't be long before you will find yourself being pulled over and ticketed for excessive lighting in some places...

Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are gonna run HIDS DO NOT FORGET to install projectors.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:30 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I hated my stock bulbs and replaced them within a month after buying my '04 brand spankin' new off the lot.
I just bought sylvania ultras at the auto parts store. They weren't very expensive, were 100% better than the stockers and I still have them in seven years later.

BTW, watch those HIDs. I work with law enforcement, county government and the court system and there are starting to be a lot of local laws being passed regarding automotive lighting in general and HID lights specifically. It won't be long before you will find yourself being pulled over and ticketed for excessive lighting in some places...
AMEN to THAT...!!!! (excessive lighting = tickets, rightfully deserved....!!!)

HammerZ71 is absolutly right... all the cops around my area where i live are lookin for people with modified headlights and writeing them up left and right. My opinion about it, its about time. If the stock headlights are THAT bad, then how did they ever get appoved by DOT to start with. I cured my headlight issue by raising them up a little bit. (3 turns with a 7mm socket, clockwise on the adjustment screw under the hood by the fenders) Made a HUGE difference. Granted, the stock bulbs aren`t that great, but they`re not THAT bad either, some are good, some are not. Ther are good bulbs available, try changing those out first before adding HID`s, you may find thats all you`ll need. Besides all that, if you`re driving faster than your headlights can shine, get out of the gas pedal and be safer, the life you save might be your own.

Just my 2cents.... i cant tell you how many times i get blinded by these people that install HID bulbs in their stock halogen equipped vehicles. Talk about a way to cause a frickin accident...!!!! When you install HID bulbs in stock headlight housings WITHOUT PROJECTORS, you have nothing but glare. Thats not a nice thing to do to oncoming traffic, you blind them, they get into an accident because you blinded them, you`ll pay for it.

If you guys are going to put HID bulbs in your vehicles, please give it some good thought before you do, especially if you DONT do it the right way, the safe way, by installing the projectors in your headlight buckets. Ther is tons of info how to do it right here on this forum. If you dont have the skills, ther`s a guy JEREMY on here that can do it for you, and from what i here about the guy, he is the ACE on doing it. Do a search, you`ll find him very easily. He`s on here all the time.

Keep in mind, by adding the projector units, your lighting will be far better because HID bulbs are designed around the use of projectors, stock halogen headlight housings are not. The reflector in the stock headlight housings make the HID glare very badly, the more glare, the less lighting ability you have. Yes, they`re brighter, but so isnt the glare to oncoming traffic.

Last edited by LU229; 12-09-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:31 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by cmerritt84
if you are gonna run hids do not forget to install projectors.
absolutley...!!!!!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LU229
absolutley...!!!!!
It's good to see that I'm not the only one who preaches HIDS must be in projectors to prevent glare!!!

But as a moderator on hidplanet I must spread the truth!!!!

Hid kits suck!!!

You can get an entire projector setup with bulbs ballasts shrouds projectors and wiring harness from TRS for 275 shipped!!

(End sermon)

Old 12-09-2011, 09:15 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

'Nuther local law I've seen is regarding "off-road" lights. I put a set on a grill guard for a friend on his Ram (guy used to be a moderator here actually).

ON HIS WAY HOME, from my place - lights mounted for less than two hours - he was pulled over and ticketed - AT 4 IN THE AFTERNOON, LIGHTS WERE OFF! Local law states ANY lights mounted higher than the stock headlights MUST be covered 100% of the time when on public roads - daytime, night-time, on or off. These lights were MAYBE 6" higher than his headlights and he got nailed. Covers laying on his front seat...

Old 12-09-2011, 10:33 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Cmerritt84
It's good to see that I'm not the only one who preaches HIDS must be in projectors to prevent glare!!!

But as a moderator on hidplanet I must spread the truth!!!!

Hid kits suck!!!

You can get an entire projector setup with bulbs ballasts shrouds projectors and wiring harness from TRS for 275 shipped!!

(End sermon)
TRS...??? I`m not good with guessing abreviations, can you spell it out so we all know what it meens. thank you

Old 12-09-2011, 10:44 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
'Nuther local law I've seen is regarding "off-road" lights. I put a set on a grill guard for a friend on his Ram (guy used to be a moderator here actually).

ON HIS WAY HOME, from my place - lights mounted for less than two hours - he was pulled over and ticketed - AT 4 IN THE AFTERNOON, LIGHTS WERE OFF! Local law states ANY lights mounted higher than the stock headlights MUST be covered 100% of the time when on public roads - daytime, night-time, on or off. These lights were MAYBE 6" higher than his headlights and he got nailed. Covers laying on his front seat...
And you know whats funny about all that Hammer...lol... how many snow plows do you see, with the lights above the hood of their trucks, and MOST are hugely brighter than the stock headlights on their truck as well, BUT, thats said to be legal by DOT...???...lol. (DOT & EPA = DICTATORS...!!! Do as WE say, not as WE do) In my own opinion, i think the laws suck when it comes to "where" you are allowed, to install any lighting on your own vehicle. I dont have any problem with anybody where or how high they install lights, but the problem i DO have with some, is how much they glare, especially people that just pop in HID bulbs without a projector.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:03 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I don't see too many of them snow plow trucks down in south Georgia and north Florida to be honest...

Quick Reply: Best Bulbs out there.