4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Why do other forums bash Dodge so much???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 03:14 PM
DodgeRam09
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

140+ post is not a troll. You can go over to JeepForum and check my other name there (JeepXJ12). Run to your dealer and ask about the problems with rust issues and Ram problems. You'll be surprised and I hope you don't have problems with your truck. I've had my truck from the beginning. I had a lot of problems. I didn't like the way Ram handled the problems especially when they denied twice that I called in about the problems early on. They also wouldn't let me speak to a manager. The problems aren't just limited to the Ram either. Jeeps are having problems also according to the body shop.

As for my Pilot. It isn't to replace my truck. It is a family car to replace our family car. That's why I said I will get a truck later on down the road. For now I am driving the beater. I'm waiting for the mid-size pick-ups to come out with diesels.

The rotors are 13" on the Pilot, the same as the Ram. It is a much lighter vehicle than the Ram (7600 lbs Ram vs 6000 Pilot). I was making the point that the Pilot is over-engineered or the Ram is under engineered. It's even worse when the Pilot is only rated at 4500 towing capacity. Based on my problems I believe the Ram is under-engineered all the way around with quality control issues.

I am only making other Ram owners cognoscente of these problems. Hopefully you won't experience these problems. I'm not telling you to get rid of your truck but to document everything and be ready for Dodge to say good luck with that bill.

Last edited by DodgeRam09; 05-27-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:10 AM
Tunaman
Veteran
Default Real problem I think...

was with the dealer! Yes MAYBE you got a lemon, hey look at the 13.5 million vehicle recall by GM and more on the way. This represents over 5 times the vehicles they sold in the entire US last yr!! So yes, everyone makes a not so good vehicle occasionally.
You said the manager would not talk to you? And quite frankly when "Dodge" said to monitor it, I suspect it was the dealer that you talked to, not Dodge. As was the case with me. I had a tranny not shifting properly, towing, when my 2012 Ram was new. Dealer laughed at me gave me a bunch of grief, service manager wouldn't return my call, the dealer manager wouldn.t return my calls. I call Dodge, they tried 3 times to make the dealer return my calls, they still refused!!
Finally ever Dodge suggested I take the truck to another dealer!!! I did, the problem simply was the battery needed to be disconnected for a few mins, computer re-programed itself, the truck still shifts perfectly at 33,000 miles.
I have noticed more than one having the same experience with their dealer, not the same one as some are over 1000 miles from me. (New Smyrna FL here)
If there's a problem with Dodge at this point maybe they need to hold their dealerships to a higher standard.
Now as far as rotor size...that has only something to do with the brakes. Wife bought a new Taurus in 10-11, whenever the all new design came out, awesome car. But the front brakes went out (pads down to bare metal) at 11,000 miles. Ford replace them with the same SIZE rotors and pads but all new part numbers. Car now has over 50,000 miles on it, no problem. Again, same size everything!! The origional pad were probably too soft. I believe the rotors on that taurus may be almost as big as the Ram.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:19 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

Not picking on the Pilot, I have no doubt its a nice vehicle for what its intended which at 250 H.P and 253 Lbs. torque, it hardly compares with the 390 H.P. hemi. If you're not towing anything significant the Pilot may be ok, but for me trying to tow my boat, it would die within 10,000 miles at best. In fact I dare say the new Ram v-6 most likely will out tow the pilot all day long.....and stop bettet. You're comparing apples to oranges. Its like my neighbor in a little FIAT Mini asking what I get for gas mileage in my motor home!! I say it would be kinda tough spending a couple weeks, wife and I in your Mini!!

Old 05-28-2014, 07:19 AM
DodgeRam09
Professional

Originally Posted by Tunaman
was with the dealer! Yes MAYBE you got a lemon, hey look at the 13.5 million vehicle recall by GM and more on the way. This represents over 5 times the vehicles they sold in the entire US last yr!! So yes, everyone makes a not so good vehicle occasionally.
You said the manager would not talk to you? And quite frankly when "Dodge" said to monitor it, I suspect it was the dealer that you talked to, not Dodge. As was the case with me. I had a tranny not shifting properly, towing, when my 2012 Ram was new. Dealer laughed at me gave me a bunch of grief, service manager wouldn't return my call, the dealer manager wouldn.t return my calls. I call Dodge, they tried 3 times to make the dealer return my calls, they still refused!!
Finally ever Dodge suggested I take the truck to another dealer!!! I did, the problem simply was the battery needed to be disconnected for a few mins, computer re-programed itself, the truck still shifts perfectly at 33,000 miles.
I have noticed more than one having the same experience with their dealer, not the same one as some are over 1000 miles from me. (New Smyrna FL here)
If there's a problem with Dodge at this point maybe they need to hold their dealerships to a higher standard.
Now as far as rotor size...that has only something to do with the brakes. Wife bought a new Taurus in 10-11, whenever the all new design came out, awesome car. But the front brakes went out (pads down to bare metal) at 11,000 miles. Ford replace them with the same SIZE rotors and pads but all new part numbers. Car now has over 50,000 miles on it, no problem. Again, same size everything!! The origional pad were probably too soft. I believe the rotors on that taurus may be almost as big as the Ram.
This was Dodge. Spoke with them over the phone. In the beginning they said they'd make note of it. When I had the problem two different ladies said there was no record of me calling in complaining about rust. I asked both to speak to their superior and they stated this was not a case that would go higher than them. Finally the third time I spoke with a guy name Matt and he said it definitely should go to his superior as he found my record of calling in. They took it to the case manager. The case manager had me get an estimate of work to be done. The entire side of the bed needed to be replaced. It was a $3k estimate. The body shop said they've had this problem with Rams and Grand Cherokee. They tried to just blast and paint but it came right back. I knew this as I deal with steel coatings in my profession and once you have pack rust you can't just blast. The case manager said sorry I waited too long. I told them they told me to wait until it progressed. It told me they are putting a lot of money out on these trucks to fix things.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:39 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate the fact that you have had a rough time and I will in no way try to explain everything that happened to you as being "no big deal". My point is how because of your situation, you are calling the whole brand/line "bad". A certain brand dealer service shop familiar with issues with that brand? Not surprising since that's what they are going to see every day. Go to any brand service shop and they will tell you all about their particular issues.

As for the brake size? You are making something out of nothing. 13" is just a common size. Rotors for a GM 2500? yep, 13". Ford F250? hmmmm, imagine that 13". And so does a Chevy Equinox! Guess your Honda is under engineered, or they Chevy is over. In other words, meaningless information.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:03 PM
RSDodgelover
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me say up front that I have had many Dodge trucks and Mopar cars. My trucks were 65,73,75,77,82,86,97,04,05 and my current 2012 1500 CC 4X4. The 04 and the 2012 were new but all the others were used. They were all good to great trucks. The 97 had a 318 and the "bad" transmission. I bought it with 92,000 and handed it down to my son at 167,000. He just sold it with 209,000 and ALL the major components were original. We both hauled (sometimes 1500 to 2000 pounds) with it and towed with it and sometimes just ran the heck out of it but it just kept going. The others were treated the same with the exception of the 65 and the 86 which were both 3/4 tons and just plain got abused. The 65 was a tank with beefed up suspension a 354 HEMI 4speed and would haul 6000 pounds and I once towed 12,000 pounds with it. The 86 was almost as tough but only had the 360, the bottom line is Dodge used to build TRUCKS, a basic work tool and they were great tools. Since the mid to late 90s they have worked on comfort and style without decreasing their focus on work, at least until they went to the coil springs but maybe they know what they are doing so I will wait and see how that turns out. That is why I am and will probably ALWAYS be a Dodge truck guy. JMO but with experience to support it.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:12 AM
Shortride
Rookie

Here say, speculation and rumors is how most conversations about people that have had bad experiences get started. Other than that, a big portion is pure exaggerations and in some cases lies. The internet allows folks to do that sort of stuff without consequences. Having said that. Some buys expectations are somewhat higher than they might should be.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by RSDodgelover
Let me say up front that I have had many Dodge trucks and Mopar cars. My trucks were 65,73,75,77,82,86,97,04,05 and my current 2012 1500 CC 4X4. The 04 and the 2012 were new but all the others were used. They were all good to great trucks. The 97 had a 318 and the "bad" transmission. I bought it with 92,000 and handed it down to my son at 167,000. He just sold it with 209,000 and ALL the major components were original. We both hauled (sometimes 1500 to 2000 pounds) with it and towed with it and sometimes just ran the heck out of it but it just kept going. The others were treated the same with the exception of the 65 and the 86 which were both 3/4 tons and just plain got abused. The 65 was a tank with beefed up suspension a 354 HEMI 4speed and would haul 6000 pounds and I once towed 12,000 pounds with it. The 86 was almost as tough but only had the 360, the bottom line is Dodge used to build TRUCKS, a basic work tool and they were great tools. Since the mid to late 90s they have worked on comfort and style without decreasing their focus on work, at least until they went to the coil springs but maybe they know what they are doing so I will wait and see how that turns out. That is why I am and will probably ALWAYS be a Dodge truck guy. JMO but with experience to support it.

Coil springs were used on Chevrolet and GMC trucks from 67 to 72 without many complaints. If the payload isn't exceeded I see no reason for alarm for Dodges coil setup on it's newer trucks, and they ride so much better with the coil setup. I've had both kinds of springs on Dodge trucks and definitely prefer the coils on the rear

Old 06-02-2014, 07:32 AM
RSDodgelover
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Man with a hemi
Coil springs were used on Chevrolet and GMC trucks from 67 to 72 without many complaints. If the payload isn't exceeded I see no reason for alarm for Dodges coil setup on it's newer trucks, and they ride so much better with the coil setup. I've had both kinds of springs on Dodge trucks and definitely prefer the coils on the rear

I know, a buddy of mine had one and it worked OK but I've always thought leaves were a better set up for real work and axle stability. If they hadn't had issues with the coils they probably wouldn't have gone back to leaves. I imagine with better spring technology and attention to axle stability the new Dodges will be OK. I guess I'm too old fashioned. "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Old 06-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by RSDodgelover
I know, a buddy of mine had one and it worked OK but I've always thought leaves were a better set up for real work and axle stability. If they hadn't had issues with the coils they probably wouldn't have gone back to leaves. I imagine with better spring technology and attention to axle stability the new Dodges will be OK. I guess I'm too old fashioned. "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Leaves probably are better for work, but lets face it a 1/2 ton is only going to do so much work, and with people nowadays using 1/2 tons for transportation, and light towing, the coils make sense for better overall comfort and the ability to handle the loads designed for. I bet the ratio of 1/2 tons sold in the USA for work or pleasure leans heavily on the pleasure side, so I think Dodge has a winner with their coil setup, but I do see your point

Quick Reply: Why do other forums bash Dodge so much???