4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

It just keeps getting worse for Ford F-150

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 04:06 PM
rambob
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LU229
Ford`s inflated sales numbers, are due to goverment contracts worldwide...PERIOD
Thats why you see ford selling (giving away) more vehicles than anyone else.
When you see the sales numbers for ford worldwide, it dosent compare to chevy & dodge. So for anyone thats says ford out sells in numbers, they`re about evenly devided in the USA. Ford bribe`s other country`s to buy their product, and alot of them include military & maltia`s. Does it make ford a better product because they have larger sales abroad and include usa sales too, no.
Sales are sales. Dodge could just as well sell to the guv'ment. The trans issue may well end up being " Massive" before its over. But as of now 16000 units out of 500,000 sold is not massive. (Just for the break park interlock switch). Don't make it out to be more than it is.
At least two six speed owners here and no complaints. Ford f150's (as well as Rams) are
still flying off the lot's here in Dallas.
The 16000 unit's referred to above was what I read the recall covered. Doesn't mean there
is not or may not be more affected in the future.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:28 PM
NyghtProwler
Rookie

16,000 isn't massive....and hopefully not more involved....but coupled with the other recalls for earlier models problems.....it's going to keep Ford dealers pretty busy. Sometimes it isn't easy being #1.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:46 PM
BullyT
Professional

Wow...interesting thread. I'd always heard that "truck guys" were particularly brand loyal and it's actually kind of funny reading some of the opinions and "facts" stated here. It's always nice if opinions are informed by the truth, but as the saying goes "don't let the facts get in the way of a good story".

Personally, I think trucks from any of the big three...GM, Ford, and Dodge represent good value. When I look at the price today of a Dodge Ram 1500 with Hemi, and compare it to what I paid 12 years ago for a Ford Explorer (6 cylinder) it amazes me how much more vehicle you get for the money now. My first company car was a new 1984 Chev Celebrity Eurosport and the sticker on it was $15K. 27 years ago. It was a POS. In August this year, I bought my low mileage 2009 RAM 1500 4 x 4 with Hemi for a little over $19K (Canadian).

Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 PM
2010 TRX4
Professional
Talking

I have done quite a bit of window sticker shoping online and in person on vehicle lots. In term of "money value" I think there really is a huge difference. I mentioned somewhere in this forum when I purchased my $35,000 Ram the other two automakers were not even close to the number of options that Dodge provided, and it has been that way for a while. I think a great example is if you take a $30,000 Ram Express 1500, then go to the other two automakers and find a comparable $30,000 window sticker, you will be suprised. Ford was clearly the worst. I am sure they make a good truck, but be prepared to pay alot for nothing.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rambob
Sales are sales. Dodge could just as well sell to the guv'ment. The trans issue may well end up being " Massive" before its over. But as of now 16000 units out of 500,000 sold is not massive. (Just for the break park interlock switch). Don't make it out to be more than it is.
At least two six speed owners here and no complaints. Ford f150's (as well as Rams) are
still flying off the lot's here in Dallas.
The 16000 unit's referred to above was what I read the recall covered. Doesn't mean there
is not or may not be more affected in the future.
Rob, i`m speaking respectfully here to you... when you come into a forum when its brand specific, and you start talkin about the other competitor(s), then expect to get blasted with anything and everything. Its just what people do, i`m just as guilty as the next guy. You wouldnt be treated any different if you went on the ford forums and talked up the dodge ram. Members do take offense to it and quite often feel they need to gang up on, and kill the attacking virus when their turf is threatend or violated. (figuratively speaking) The human instinct is to protect their turf. If you keep poking ****, its gonna keep stinkin bro. So if you wanna keep pokin in here, do so, but you`ll never win. Personally, i dont give a rats azz about ford OR their inflated BS sales numbers. Numbers are for the suit an tie people to brag about, in the end result, its STILL just numbers and it sure as heck dosent put any money in MY pocket or food on MY table at the end of the day, so i dont really care. Besides all that, ther is nothing in this world that could ever convince me to own a ford ever again. (every ford i`ve owned was nothin but headaches) And one last thing, i wouldnt be caught DEAD, driving a truck that looks like a brick with windows.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:44 AM
rambob
Rookie

Originally Posted by LU229
Rob, i`m speaking respectfully here to you... when you come into a forum when its brand specific, and you start talkin about the other competitor(s), then expect to get blasted with anything and everything. Its just what people do, i`m just as guilty as the next guy. You wouldnt be treated any different if you went on the ford forums and talked up the dodge ram. Members do take offense to it and quite often feel they need to gang up on, and kill the attacking virus when their turf is threatend or violated. (figuratively speaking) The human instinct is to protect their turf. If you keep poking ****, its gonna keep stinkin bro. So if you wanna keep pokin in here, do so, but you`ll never win. Personally, i dont give a rats azz about ford OR their inflated BS sales numbers. Numbers are for the suit an tie people to brag about, in the end result, its STILL just numbers and it sure as heck dosent put any money in MY pocket or food on MY table at the end of the day, so i dont really care. Besides all that, ther is nothing in this world that could ever convince me to own a ford ever again. (every ford i`ve owned was nothin but headaches) And one last thing, i wouldnt be caught DEAD, driving a truck that looks like a brick with windows.
The whole point of my first post, look at the first post in this thread. It says another massive recal for Ford. "MASSIVE". Are there thousands of F150's out there with bad transmissions? Maby. I thinks it's more like a thousands with programming and other electronic issues. If it was as bad as some on this and other websites would have people believe, I would think it would shurely hurt over all salea, but it soesn't seem to have done that.
Guys on other brand sites do the same thing (Ford F150). I've driven both new Hemi Rams,
F150's, and some newer Chevy's. Before the 5.0, Chevy was about the quickest IMO I mean just pure accelleration. 1/2 ton 2wd crew cab. I don't know that a 5.0 F150 equaly equipped is quicker than a Dodge or Chevy, but it's sure as hell quicker than the old 5.4. But, I know, I KNOW, a ecoboost f150 will scorch a equaly wequiped (stock) Ram Hemi, up to
97 MPH which is where all F150s are limited by the PCM. How much does that matter to me?
Not. That's not why I bought my truck. I just like driving a truck. Dodge re sale sucks. Fact.
F150 re sale is better, You pay more for a F150 because of reputation, justified? Maybe. But it is what it is . Let the stoning begin because this is my last post on this matter.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:16 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's my understanding (and again I'm getting my information on this from one Ford dealership mechanic) that the reason there is not a massive recall on the F150 transmissions is because they don't have nearly enough to replace bad ones sitting it trucks at dealerships that are down now and Ford can't have people with working transmissions start to show up for one.

From what I understand this is a very widespread issue right now.

As far as Ford trucks go, I've said before and will continue to say that they tow a hell of a lot better than comparable Dodge or GM trucks (I'm talking 1/2 tons here). I've pulled decent weight (around 8k pounds) with all three and despite a 100 HP disadvantage a Ford F150 (5.4 equipped) just handles a load better than a Dodge. Dunno if it's the frame or what, but I've had a 7700# load that handles ok with my truck (and it's 4.56 gears) make me white knuckle on an '09 Ram with it's coils all around. The same tractor, rough cut mower handles so much easier with a buddy's '03 F150 than even my truck.

Wouldn't own another Furd if it was given to me, but I gotta call it as I see it...

Old 12-29-2011, 01:28 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

I don't know about a Scorch, if it's equally equipped it's (what I've seen) a drivers race.

I watched a QC Hemi 3.92 run at Great Lakes Dragaway this summer (running my Charger) with two Eco-Boost F150's, both trucks stock, and the Ram owner only had his '11 for a couple weeks (bone stock, less then a 1k miles), and their times were dead even. The Ram ran a best of 14.8--, and both EB's were running consistent 14.8-15.1. You gotta admit though, you're comparing apples and oranges with an aspirated vs. N/A motors.

Don't worry Bob, I'm not brand loyal, I own 2 Dodges, 1 GM, and 1 Ford. I'm simply stating what I witnessed.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:48 PM
2010 TRX4
Professional
Thumbs down

It is not a programming issue with the trans. It is not the interlock. It is the ecoboost and 5.0 matted to defective transmissions. Signs of the transmission pump fail at delivery and/or driving modest miles. There is a national backorder on these transmission pump components. Ford cannot keep up. Other components are failing when the trans. warning light comes on to late to warn the driver, and many trans. are just blowing up. A reputable automotive website stated there will be massive transmission recalls due to accidents regarding these unsafe vehicles. Oh yea, I did forget the million plus recalled for the F-150 & HD due to unsafe gas tank straps and gas tanks are falling off the vehicles. Yea, Ford is great all right. And I agree, they are a brick with windows, but some of the HD's are sharp.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:15 PM
2010 TRX4
Professional
Unhappy

229, I think you said it well. Why people go into brands forum and talk up another another manufacturer is weird. I think denial has alot to do with it. I am glad started this thread ( actually hammer told me about the Ford mess), if I saved someone from purchasing a questionable vehicle than all the trash talking is worth it. I am laid up due to a work accident and decided to check out the F-150 trans. mess, needless to say I found alot of F-150 posts/media reports regarding alot of unhappy F-150 owners. It really is sad to see people excited about a purchase, only to break down on the side of the road, call road side assistance, then sit on a dealers lot waiting for a transmission pump component for weeks. My F-350 neighbor (nice rig) stopped over today and was at our local Ford dealer, he was at parts getting mods. He happened to mention to the parts counter person about the Ford trans. pump issue and the parts guy mentioned that a couple new F-150' eco were out back awaiting trans pump parts. One bled out all the fliud and needs a replacement. The bleeding trans fluid from eco/5.0 is the common denominator in all this and owners cannot see the fluid leaking while driving and by then it is to late. I am not fabricating this stuff as one poster thinks, just go to the net and read away.

Quick Reply: It just keeps getting worse for Ford F-150