4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

LED Tail Lights (Spyder or others)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:03 AM
RAMeister
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LED Tail Lights (Spyder or others)

I'm seeking opinions, photos, sources and options for LED Tail Lights for my Black 2011 RAM Crew Laramie 1500 4x4.

I have spent a couple hours rummaging through the various threads here, and I've seen a SPYDER Group Buy and a couple questions. But not really any images, reviews or opinions on the various LED tail lights products on the market.

The GB thread was closed/locked shortly after completion, why I'm not certain, therefore, no one was able to really followed-up on their purchases.
I PM'ed and email the GB coordinator, and got absolutely no response.

Thanks in advance -

Old 01-01-2012, 10:54 AM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do all the homework you can before you purchase to make sure they are exactly what you want. I was leaning towards purchasing a set and then finally met up with a guy in my area that had some on his 4th gen and I decided I did not want them. The reason I changed my mind when I saw them was because there was not much of a difference between the brightness of the running lights and brake lights, meaning that at night when you have your running lights on they were fairly bright and then when he stepped on the brakes they would not get much brighter. The only way that I knew for sure that he pushed the brakes was because his 3rd brake light would light up and that looked like an accident waiting to happen. But he had recons so maybe another company has better ones that actually get bright when you step on the brakes.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:19 AM
RAMeister
Rookie
Talking

Thanks Jayman!

Good point. Any owners out there that have these or others and concern about the brightness of the BRAKE LIGHTS?

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by jayman84
Do all the homework you can before you purchase to make sure they are exactly what you want. I was leaning towards purchasing a set and then finally met up with a guy in my area that had some on his 4th gen and I decided I did not want them. The reason I changed my mind when I saw them was because there was not much of a difference between the brightness of the running lights and brake lights, meaning that at night when you have your running lights on they were fairly bright and then when he stepped on the brakes they would not get much brighter. The only way that I knew for sure that he pushed the brakes was because his 3rd brake light would light up and that looked like an accident waiting to happen. But he had recons so maybe another company has better ones that actually get bright when you step on the brakes.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:23 AM
RAMeister
Rookie

Bump...

Old 01-08-2012, 12:24 PM
jayman84
Captain

surely some one on here has some that could chime in. I would love to get some but I have only seen that one truck local with them and that turned me off right away. Maybe another company has better ones, or maybe the recons he had were not 100% right.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

i've got recons. Smoked tails, are illegal here in MD, and just about every other state I know of. However, these things shine BRIGHT at night. the leds shine as bright if not brighter than stock, despite the smoked housing.

for proof, I've been pulled over several times now (girlfriend lives near a very screwed up stretch where the speed limit changes 3 times in less than half a mile), and had cops behind me, and never any thing about em.

I wouldnt go any other way, and I love em. You'll love em and be happy too

sorry I cant help with pictures, my camera sitting here next to me is missing the chord to connect it to the computer, and my phone is a $10 best buy special, as I go through them left and right working construction. But if I can find the chord, or if any of my friends stop by, I'll have them get some pictures

Last edited by mdram43; 01-11-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 AM
RAMeister
Rookie
Arrow

Thanks for the reply MDRAM! Any suggestions on where to purchase them? As previously mentioned, do you any concerns specifically regarding the effectiveness of brake lights?

Originally Posted by mdram43
i've got recons. Smoked tails, are illegal here in MD, and just about every other state I know of. However, these things shine BRIGHT at night. the leds shine as bright if not brighter than stock, despite the smoked housing.

for proof, I've been pulled over several times now (girlfriend lives near a very screwed up stretch where the speed limit changes 3 times in less than half a milf), and had cops behind me, and never any thing about em.

I wouldnt go any other way, and I love em. You'll love em and be happy too

sorry I cant help with pictures, my camera sitting here next to me is missing the chord to connect it to the computer, and my phone is a $10 best buy special, as I go through them left and right working construction. But if I can find the chord, or if any of my friends stop by, I'll have them get some pictures

Old 01-10-2012, 02:21 PM
InterpunX
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the recons also which i believe is the exact same thing as spyder, the recons might be smoked as opposed to the black housing in the spyder, not sure but if you look closely its the exact same light, just more expensive from recon i guess. As for the light brightness you will not get any brighter than that, and if you get rear ended because they didnt see your lights, well its their fault anyways.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/380021...trims#15378000

i got some pictures on here showing before and after so help youself

Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Eric Davis

Best decision I ever made, check out my pictures on my 06. I am still trying to find the best/affordable fit for my 2012. You can find a better deal than the Recon lights, they are by far the most expensive. The smoked look is not my style but if you just want smoke you can have your stocks tinted. The LED lights are just as bright, if not better than stocks. If you go LED on your tails you definately have to do your 3rd break light as well. Just some input...

Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 PM
jayman84
Captain

Here you go RAMeister, I found this on youtube and it shows exactly what I was looking for. It's kind of long but he does show them at night with both the hazards on and then later in the vid he does a good job of showing the turn signals with the running lights on. I will be getting a set of these shortly. My doubts are officially laid to rest. He calls his tail lights bermuda black leds but they look just like the recons....I'm betting its like was mentioned before and they all come from the same place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQxfJRuWim4

Last edited by jayman84; 01-10-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: LED Tail Lights (Spyder or others)