4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Hemi Octane Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013 | 09:54 AM
Tunaman
Veteran
Default links

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Did you look at the link?
the internet is full of links, I take them with a grain of salt.

Old 06-06-2013 | 09:57 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Tunaman
the internet is full of links, I take them with a grain of salt.
LOL - I give up. Apparently you didn't look at who did the testing, how it was done and the results.

Old 06-07-2013 | 12:06 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Tunaman
Well, what do I know? I see an argument on both sides of the conversation. I don't see how it can hurt and I think ANY oil in the intake is not good. I bet 3" in a catch can won't show anything on the dip stick. Doesn't seem all that expensive to do. I know one of the first things race car owners do is do away with the PVC and put the old breathing tube on. I believe ANY oil in intake is that much too much.Kinda like a K&N cold air intake on my 5.7? Put it on when it was new so I guess I can't say if it helped or not. Many people on here tell me I wasted my money (about $300 as I recall) The stock air intake is pretty impressive. Thoughts?
Tunaman, i`m not trying to **** in your cereal bowl here, but you`re comparing apples to oranges when you try to compare "race cars" vs stock vehicles when it comes to PCV valves and or PCV systems. And if you`ve got oil in your intake, you`ve got bigger problems that a oil catch can will never fix. To each ther own, if you think the oil catch can is doing magical things for you, then by all meens buy it, and run it. All i`ll say is, the benefits of a "oil catch can" dont out weight the results, for me.

Old 06-07-2013 | 06:49 AM
wilcon76

Look at the PCV circuit on the truck. For those that said the oil would drain back, it would be impossible as it would have to negate the effects of gravity to do it. The throttle body is below the valve, ny oil mist that goes past the valve is going into the intake tract.

Tunaman: I put a catch can on and I got better gas mileage, I manually calculate my MPG and it went up 1.5 mpg and has stayed higher since adding the catch can. No other changes when I originally put it on, just that. I added an intake later and a tuner is on the way, I gained another .5mpg with the intake to bump me up to around 16.6 mpg from the original high 14s. Those that have the catch can installed later have pulled the throttle body and were shocked by the residue and build up of oil on the backside of the TB. After the catch can many have checked it later and found no residue. Take from that what you want and do what you want.

Last edited by wilcon76; 06-10-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-07-2013 | 11:34 AM
LU229
Banned

No "oil catch can" here... no mods, no tuners, stock air box, "gumout injection cleaner" twice a year in the gas tank, valvoline synthetic oil = no carbon or oil in or around or behind the throttle body, and i`m getting 20+mpg highway (hand calc). Take from that what you want and do what you want.

Old 06-07-2013 | 04:58 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by wilcon76
Look at the PCV circuit on the truck. For those that said the oil would drain back, it would be impossible as it would have to negate the effects of gravity to do it. The throttle body is below the valve, ny oil mist that goes past the valve is going into the intake tract.

Tunaman: I put a catch can on and I got better gas mileage, I manuyally calculate my MPG and it went up 1.5 mpg and has stayed higher since adding the catch can. No other changes when I originally put it on, just that. I added an intake later and a tuner is on the way, I gained another .5mpg with the intake to bump me up to around 16.6 mpg from the original high 14s. Those that have the catch can installed later have pulled the throttle body and were shocked by the residue and build up of oil on the backside of the TB. After the catch can many have checked it later and found no residue. Take from that what you want and do what you want.
Even 16.6 sucks, unless that is almost pure city driving. Do you have bigger than stock tires and a lift?

Old 06-09-2013 | 04:48 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

If i put on 2 would it be twice as good or twice as bad?? LOL

Old 06-09-2013 | 10:27 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Everyone has their own philosophy with regards to catch-cans, personally I utilize them on two vehicles, one my truck, two my Charger. The Charger I rebuilt three years ago for strictly performance, and see the same identical benefits from both.

I was with you on the catch-can, but lost you on the mpg gains with a catch-can. I've never heard of anyone within the LX, LY community with any such gains, but to improve gains of upward 10% on a RAM, sorry, I don't buy it, nor have I've ever witnessed it myself, 30k miles now, 3 1/2 on my 4th generation.

Improved gas milage on a CAI by .5, maybe, depends on driving habits greatly. I get a kick out of the guys who claim noticable performance with a CAI and improved mpg's. Really, are they reaching optimal performance pulling between 5-6 grand RPM's consistently during their daily commute from point A to point B, while gaining 2 mpg's?

Old 06-10-2013 | 06:55 AM
wilcon76

Who pulls between 5-6 grand in RPM commuting? I drive the same everyday, mid 60 mph on the highway with some back roads on the way to work. I added the catch can and every tank since then has been 1.5mpg better. Nothing else added at that point. I added the CAI later and picked up a consistent .5mpg per tank. Frankly I don't much care what others get, I know what I got and I shared that info.

I recently had to swap the intake back to stock to take the truck to the dealer for service. The swap back was way more noticeable than the original swap to the CAI. Acceleration, cruising, were both noticeably worse with the stock unit versus the Vararam. My wife didn't even know I switched it out and immediately commented that something felt wrong as the passenger.

Old 06-10-2013 | 07:03 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Sweet, maybe if you add one of these you can get another couple MPG:

http://tornadoair.com/

Quick Reply: Hemi Octane Recommendation?