4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Hemi Octane Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013 | 06:13 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Deadsquiggles
(Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just ask here) So if you jump from 87 octane to 89, you won't really see any better performance or mpg, but if you make a bigger just to say, maybe, 91 which is common around me, or maybe even 93, you might see a difference?
Nope - using octane above the recommended amount just wastes money. The engine isn't going to compensate for it unless you have a tuner and change the curves.

Old 05-29-2013 | 08:48 AM
patricklee85
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by wilcon76
Yeah sorry about that, busy weekend. glad you got it worked out.
No problem, wilcon76. Sometimes the best way to learn is to just dive in!

Old 05-31-2013 | 04:16 PM
bluebeast1562
Veteran

Catch can???? I have used 89 in my last tank full but today, added about 1/4 tank to top off of 87. Can you explain the catch can?

Old 06-02-2013 | 05:59 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

Take a look at post 6.

Old 06-02-2013 | 11:56 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Tunaman
Take a look at post 6.

Which is nonsense. If you are getting enough oil into the intake from your pcv to lower the octane then you have a serious problem. You're acting like the truck is burning through quarts of oil per tank full.

Old 06-02-2013 | 04:31 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by oldjeep
which is nonsense. If you are getting enough oil into the intake from your pcv to lower the octane then you have a serious problem. You're acting like the truck is burning through quarts of oil per tank full.
100% agreeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 06-03-2013 | 08:07 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Which is nonsense. If you are getting enough oil into the intake from your pcv to lower the octane then you have a serious problem. You're acting like the truck is burning through quarts of oil per tank full.
Which may be, i haven't heard a better explanation on the 89 octane. Personally on my 2012 i see no differance on 89. But i know the 012 seem to get better mileage than pre 2012. So you're saying no sense to bother with the catch can?

Old 06-03-2013 | 03:53 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Tunaman
Which may be, i haven't heard a better explanation on the 89 octane. Personally on my 2012 i see no differance on 89. But i know the 012 seem to get better mileage than pre 2012. So you're saying no sense to bother with the catch can?

Yes, that is what I'm saying.

Old 06-04-2013 | 06:52 AM
wilcon76

So do you accept a small bottle of octane boost works but oil directly into the intake tract is bogus? I emptied an inch of oil out of my catch can from a 1000 mile road trip. Performance car guys have been doing this for years and one of the best performance mods on a motorcycle is to reroute this same setup to a breather and not back into the intake all for the same reasons. Better performance, less residue and gunk in your intake and motor and better control over tuning because there are less contaminants in the air fuel tract. In a better designed PCV system there would be an air oil separator built into the PCV circuit thus eliminating the need to add one as a retrofit.

Last edited by wilcon76; 06-04-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-04-2013 | 07:29 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by wilcon76
So do you accept a small bottle of octane boost works but oil directly into the intake tract is bogus? I emptied an inch of oil out of my catch can from a 1000 mile road trip. Performance car guys have been doing this for years and one of the best performance mods on a motorcycle is to reroute this same setup to a breather and not back into the intake all for the same reasons. Better performance, less residue and gunk in your intake and motor and better control over tuning because there are less contaminants in the air fuel tract. In a better designed PCV system there would be an air oil separator built into the PCV circuit thus eliminating the need to add one as a retrofit.
How many quarts of oil are you losing during a 5K oil change interval? Any measurable oil after 1K miles sounds like either your engine has an issue or when you added your catch can, you rerouted the tubing in such a way that it is encouraging the oil into the can rather than draining back.

I take with a grain of salt most of the "performance" changes that I see, because the more dubious ones never seem to have any dyno data to back them up.

Quick Reply: Hemi Octane Recommendation?