4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Hemi Octane Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013 | 07:13 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

Originally Posted by wilcon76
Who pulls between 5-6 grand in RPM commuting? I drive the same everyday, mid 60 mph on the highway with some back roads on the way to work. I added the catch can and every tank since then has been 1.5mpg better. Nothing else added at that point. I added the CAI later and picked up a consistent .5mpg per tank. Frankly I don't much care what others get, I know what I got and I shared that info.

I recently had to swap the intake back to stock to take the truck to the dealer for service. The swap back was way more noticeable than the original swap to the CAI. Acceleration, cruising, were both noticeably worse with the stock unit versus the Vararam. My wife didn't even know I switched it out and immediately commented that something felt wrong as the passenger.
Which brings up another interesting subject. My dealer, or i should say where i bought mr RAM, said the CAI doesn't hurt the warranty in anynway.i've noticed on here the dealers can't agree on much.

Old 06-11-2013 | 06:36 AM
wilcon76

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Sweet, maybe if you add one of these you can get another couple MPG:

http://tornadoair.com/
Why don't you try it and let us know, clearly you value your opinion so highly you have to post snarky comments in an attempt to belittle others who have had positive experiences with their modifications.

Yes dealers are all different when it comes to warranty work and what modifications do. I left my catch can on and I can't swap the muffler back out, no issues with those. My truck keeps throwing the P0456 code.

Old 06-11-2013 | 07:20 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Why don't you try it and let us know, clearly you value your opinion so highly you have to post snarky comments in an attempt to belittle others who have had positive experiences with their modifications.

Yes dealers are all different when it comes to warranty work and what modifications do. I left my catch can on and I can't swap the muffler back out, no issues with those. My truck keeps throwing the P0456 code.

The P0456 on a Chrysler product is usually a cracked hose connected to the evap canister. Start following all the lines from it and you'll probably find it on your own.

Old 06-12-2013 | 12:46 AM
LU229
Banned

My truck keeps throwing the P0456 code.
Hows the condition of the gas cap, seal torn, cracked, lose gas cap maybe...?

Old 06-12-2013 | 08:07 AM
wilcon76

Truck is brand new so while I normally would track it all down I have 2500 miles on it. Gas cap looks good as does everything else, looks brand new. Smoke test showed nothing so I am sitting in the dealer right now before heading to the ball game.

Old 06-12-2013 | 10:23 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Tunaman
If i put on 2 would it be twice as good or twice as bad?? LOL
depends, if they're both chrome, it's four times as good.

Old 06-13-2013 | 06:49 AM
wilcon76

Turns out it was the purge solenoid. They had to order the part so back once more next week.

Old 06-13-2013 | 09:53 PM
Tunaman
Veteran

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
depends, if they're both chrome, it's four times as good.
LOL! 5Thanks Pedro!!!

Old 06-15-2013 | 11:14 AM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mikey0469
Most gas stations around here have 10% ethanol in the 89 octane fuel. The ethanol blend puts a hamper on performance and you burn through it a lot faster hence the poorer gas mileage. I just picked up my 12' ram. Looking forward to better gas mileage than my 01' ram which gets 11-12mpg.
I second that. We are all being robbed with 10% ethanol blends.

As for 87 vs 89. I run 87. However I have thrown 89 in and seen better numbers.

What I have been doing for over a month, is adding Lucas upper cylinder lubricant with every tank. It has been helping and should be cleaning the engine as well.

Old 06-16-2013 | 01:04 AM
LU229
Banned

We have a lot of gas stations where i live that give you a choice now. Our 87 & 89 octane is the only gas with 10% ethanol in it now. The 91 & 93.5 octane gas are now non-ethanol here. I run the 91 octane (non-ethanol) and my MPG`s are MUCH better since switching. My truck seems a lot happier as well... it runs MUCH smoother and better power as well. It sure wouldnt hurt my feelings one bit to see the tree hugger ethanol go away for good. Ethanol is NOT cost effective, and you get less mpg`s as well. I remember reading somewhere awhile back that burning "ethanol/alcohol" will make you lose up to 30% of your mpg`s. Who knows, maybe if they BAN ethanol, we might see 30mpg out of these HEMI trucks yet....!!!

Quick Reply: Hemi Octane Recommendation?