4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

09 ram 1500 alpine sub-woofer

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 AM
drober30
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neo117
not sure if anyone else noticed this, but the factory satellite radio sounds horrid. It sounds overly compressed and just....stale....
My only experience with xm / sirius has been in factory car audio systems, so i don't know if that comes with the territory or not, but compared to an MP3 cd or ipod i think it sounds terrible.
anone with aftermarket sirius that could offer an opinion?
Reading your thread reminded me to try out downloading music to the HDD. I the new Metallica CD and downloaded it to the HDD and played it.

The system sounded 100% better playing the stored music than it did playing the radio. I was really surprised! I almost think all I need is a sub and I could leave the factory speakers alone.

I finally took a look at the Alpine sub under the seat. What a gimmick!

I was disappointed that the CD will not play while its being ripped to the HDD. I guess that's one thing the AVIC Z1 had over this factory unit.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:09 PM
JC1390
Professional

If anyones interested I'll be adding a JL stealth box to mine hopefully in the next week if all the components come in. I'll take some pictures if anyones interested.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:17 PM
MOPWR

Originally Posted by JC1390
If anyones interested I'll be adding a JL stealth box to mine hopefully in the next week if all the components come in. I'll take some pictures if anyones interested.
Yes, post some pictures and your comments on the sound.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:41 PM
drober30
Veteran

Originally Posted by JC1390
I have had several JL Audio Stealth Boxes throughout the years and have been happy with every one!

I was thinking of doing the same thing.

Please start a new thread on it when you get it done!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:01 PM
JC1390
Professional

Originally Posted by drober30
I have had several JL Audio Stealth Boxes throughout the years and have been happy with every one!

I was thinking of doing the same thing.

Please start a new thread on it when you get it done!
x2 on the Jl stealth boxes being excellent. I've had a couple and loved every single one. I'll be sure to start a new thread when I get the ball rolling,

Old 03-26-2009, 08:38 PM
BigCat40

Have you had any luck in replacing the factory Alpine SUB? Seems like it can be replace even it I had to stick with an 8". I want to keep it looking stock but I just want better bass

Old 03-26-2009, 11:34 PM
neo117

Originally Posted by BigCat40
Have you had any luck in replacing the factory Alpine SUB? Seems like it can be replace even it I had to stick with an 8". I want to keep it looking stock but I just want better bass
I am not sure that replacing the sub will do much for the sound....it seems that what is being sent TO the sub is more of the problem. I replaced my head unit with the avic, and you can really crank the bass up much higher than what the stock headunit was putting out. the problem is it is more of a 150hz or higher....it is really not hitting the deep lows, but by contrast, with the stock head unit, most of the time it didn't even sound like it had a sub

Old 03-27-2009, 10:53 AM
finc.jb
Professional

Originally Posted by neo117
I am not sure that replacing the sub will do much for the sound....it seems that what is being sent TO the sub is more of the problem. I replaced my head unit with the avic, and you can really crank the bass up much higher than what the stock headunit was putting out. the problem is it is more of a 150hz or higher....it is really not hitting the deep lows, but by contrast, with the stock head unit, most of the time it didn't even sound like it had a sub
Which is why, way back in this thread, I said to start by replacing the simplest most basic parts first. For me that would be the crossover, to make sure it's only getting those low notes.

On a side note, those of you complaining about the bass, do like more bass than the highs or you like a nice well rounded sound? I prefer a some bass, but like the highs more. It's usually cheaper and easier to get bass than highs.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:04 PM
neo117

Originally Posted by finc.jb
Which is why, way back in this thread, I said to start by replacing the simplest most basic parts first. For me that would be the crossover, to make sure it's only getting those low notes.

On a side note, those of you complaining about the bass, do like more bass than the highs or you like a nice well rounded sound? I prefer a some bass, but like the highs more. It's usually cheaper and easier to get bass than highs.
Not sure i follow you....there are no crossovers that i am aware of in this system. Far as i know, the amp has a low pass filter built into the sub output. based on that, the only way to change the crossover point would be to replace the entire amp. since this is a CAN-bus enabled amp, it would require rewiring the head unit and and many of the connections to the amp (keep in mind that the amp has only a left and right input, front and rear fading as well as subwoofer level is all communicated through the can bus). once all of that is done, i am sure you can get much improved performance from the unit, but....i don't think it is the path of least resistance.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:42 PM
finc.jb
Professional

A crossover could still be installed before the sub in the enclosure I would think. O don't know for sure as my truck is on it's way here now, currently in Chicago at the interchange.

Quick Reply: 09 ram 1500 alpine sub-woofer