4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ParkView Camera Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Darden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ParkView Camera Install

Has anyone added the rearview camera (parkview) to their rig? I've got a '09QC Laramie with all the bells and whistles. It has the indash nav (mygig), just without the rearview camera.

My question is: has anyone had one of these installed? I know there are several aftermarket types, but I want the OEM type. Contacted the dealer and they said the camera kit was not available to the public yet. That all the cameras Dodge had in stock were being installed on their trucks at the factory.

I often tow a small cargo trailer and would really like to have the camera to assist in hitching up.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:39 AM
drober30
Veteran
Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 AM
utour
Rookie

Hey folks,
I wanted to extend this question with hope of your help.
I ordered my Ram 1500 CC with every option available, but it's not gonna have a backup camera on it. I can see the two links and I would probably order the camera thru one of them. What I was wondering is the amount of skill it takes to install the camera yourself?

Does any of you have the "step-by-step installation guide"

I know I can take the truck to the dealer and have them install it and I may as well use that as a last option, but I believe that if you want to do something right do it yourself, therefore for me to make sure that I'm not gonna have any rattle noise after a few thousand miles and that all is put together tight I'd rather do it myself.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:04 AM
MisterScott
Rookie

I have an early Laramie w/o the locking tailgate. I ordered the three parts on another thread. Of course two have come in but the final part, a rod arm, is back ordered with no ship date expected. The parts guy said Chrysler is not paying some of its vendors so they are being cut off. Great news.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Question

Has anyone installed the Lockpick and connected a camera to that? That is the route I'm thinking of going. My buddy has the camera from CoastalEtech on his Wrangler and it's pretty concealed and works well (very wide angle), however I think I'd rather have something that points down more directly at the hitch.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:23 PM
TedEbear
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
Has anyone installed the Lockpick and connected a camera to that?
I have that one on my Sebring. The camera works well but if anyone is considering one of these beware that the camera bracket it comes with is somewhat delicate. I snapped off one of the little mounting ears when I was attempting to enlarge the hole to install tamper resistant screws.

Also beware that Coastaltech customer service after the sale is about the worst I've ever dealt with. They're happy and eager to get your money but apparently things change if you ever need to contact them later on.

If I had to do it all over again I'd go with NAV-TV.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:05 AM
boc

I installed the rearview camera myself. It is not that hard but there is some soldering and cutting of wires. If you are confident enough to do that its not extremely hard. You still have to have a dealer with a scan tool program it in so the vehicle will know its there.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by boc
I installed the rearview camera myself. It is not that hard but there is some soldering and cutting of wires. If you are confident enough to do that its not extremely hard. You still have to have a dealer with a scan tool program it in so the vehicle will know its there.
You wouldn't have to do that with the LockPick though, would you? I thought that was much more plug 'n play.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TedEbear
I have that one on my Sebring. The camera works well but if anyone is considering one of these beware that the camera bracket it comes with is somewhat delicate. I snapped off one of the little mounting ears when I was attempting to enlarge the hole to install tamper resistant screws.

Also beware that Coastaltech customer service after the sale is about the worst I've ever dealt with. They're happy and eager to get your money but apparently things change if you ever need to contact them later on.

If I had to do it all over again I'd go with NAV-TV.
Hmm.... thanks for the info. My boss bought from Coastaltech and he's been happy with the product. The camera works great and it's cheaper than the one that Nav-TV sells (199). I still can't decide who to order from as I've heard both bad and good about both companies.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:59 AM
MisterScott
Rookie

I bought a Lockpick and am in the process of getting it exchange for a new one. It did wierd things to the MyGig system. Great products though. I communicated via email with their customer service department. Slow, but got some results. Hopefully the new unit works better.

Quick Reply: ParkView Camera Install