4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Calling all TRX4's....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 12:52 AM
Ryan Albert
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Calling all TRX4's....

So apparently there a dilemma going on; there is a company (Superlifts) saying that the leveling kit should NOT be used on the TRX4 because they are already lifted an inch higher from the factory and it can cause the strut to break.

My take

I already leveled my TRX4 using the Rough Country (I was told by them having a TRX4 would not matter) leveling kit which is a 2.5" spacer up front. I inspected everything and did not find anything out of the ordinary or any parts seeming to be under stress. Despite people saying the TRX4 has a spacer from the factory, I did not see anything of the sort. I wonder if there is actually any proof that the suspension is any different than the other model 1500's, because if it was it probably would have been advertised as that is a good selling point. They sit at the same height from what I can see. I now have about 2000 miles on my leveling kit and have not had any problems. I am curious has other TRX4 owners installed a kit, and if they have had any problems. Please tell us if you have gone off road ect. As I have yet to take mine off road. Thanks

Old 05-25-2009, 01:02 AM
c0mf0rt
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No additional lift here. I was just taking everyone's word for it here that we had a leveling kit from the factory.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:18 AM
bigred3297
Record Breaker

there is a spacer up front, i have seen it.... it's located on the top of the tower inside the boot. You basically have 2 spacers on the front end now, not sure long term effects

Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 AM
buckarcher
Veteran

I just took everyones word for it too. I assumed that the spacer on the TRX4 would be a removable part being that the 4" & 6" kits supposively work for all 09 1500's, and installing these lifts would require the spacer to be removed. I seen a thread on here a while ago where everyone was measuring from the center of hub to the top of the wheel well. It was determined that the TRX4 had the same clearance that the leveling kit was offering.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:12 AM
bountyhunter
Banned

I've never seen any Dodge info that differentiates TRX suspension from other 4x4 models...dimension specs listed are identical. TRX4 is a 3.92AS/skid plate/tow hook - simulated off road appearance package.
Hell, I woulda got one if dual exhaust & mineral grey primary color were options. That would be one deadly truck...could always order mineral grey bumpers/grill/flares!

Last edited by bountyhunter; 05-27-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Ryan Albert
Veteran

Don't worry I peeled those stickers off the day I got it.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:31 AM
bountyhunter
Banned

Originally Posted by Ryan Albert
Don't worry I peeled those (goofy TRX4 Off Road) stickers off the day I got it.
Good call!

Last edited by bountyhunter; 05-26-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:41 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what HONESTLY is the easiet way to know once and for all? Drive to a dodge dealership and take a look at a tr4 and a SLT, bring a tape measure, look at the strut and angles of front end components.

Dodge's website states the exact same specs for there TRX4 models as there regular 4x4 models.

Also, I was involved in a post here in the 4th gen section about leveling kits and we had posted up some pics of trx4 angles opposed to a leveled SLT and the trx4 did not appear to be lifted, at all.

I find it hard to believe that there is an actual spacer installed on the TRX4 from the factory, especially since all the angles for the control arms are perfect in the pictures ive seen. That means dodge would have had to design the front diff to be lower, the control arms to be different, etc. They would change all that, but just simply put a spacer on the strut? I doubt it...

A 2.5" leveling kit, on a SLT, or a TRX4 is generally not the greatest idea either way. Your making the strut longer, putting more space between the upper and lower control arms. Bad balljoint angles, increased angle of the cv joint under full flex. It should go to show that if some companies say its ok and some say its not to install a spacer on a trx4, it simply shows that some companies give a **** about your front end in the long run and some dont.

IFS should be left well enough alone IMO.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 05-26-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:02 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
I find it hard to believe that there is an actual spacer installed on the TRX4 from the factory.
Irrefutable proof required to end this mystery

Last edited by bountyhunter; 05-26-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:16 PM
buckarcher
Veteran

I was reading through old threads and started to fall asleep before I could narrow where the TRX4 spacer myth originated. When I first looked into the leveling kits, I gathered information from the forum (saying that the TRX4 already had the spacers) as well as this information from Superlift.
http://superlift.com/Catalog.asp?P=40019&V=126
Look under "Application Notes"

This is what it reads:

The Superlift 4" and 6" Dodge DS lift systems received a Chrysler Design Award at the 2009 SEMA show, the automotive aftermarket industry’s largest event.

TRX4 Model - Both Superlift’s 4" and 6" systems will fit Dodge’s TRX4. Some additional Superlift components are needed if using the strut spacer lift version (see Application Chart for details). Note that the TRX4 factory ride height is approximately 1" taller than the standard DS, so you will gain 1" less lift than stated. When lifted, the standard DS and the TRX4 ride height is the same.

Our 2.5" Level-It front lift system must not be installed on TRX4 models.

I have not found simular information for other brands. I'm still ??????? on the subject.

Last edited by buckarcher; 05-26-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Calling all TRX4's....