4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dual 10" MTX Thunderform Installed - Pics

Old 07-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual 10" MTX Thunderform Installed - Pics

So this came in today. Got it brand new off of ebay for less than $200 new. It has dual 10" subs with a 200 class d amp built in. It says its for quad cab 3rd gen rams but it fits the 4th gen crew cabs perfect.

I had it installed and the shop who did it said it was a major pita... normally they said it would take an hour but on this truck it took 3 hours with four guys..

anyway.. yeah its hooked up and rocking.. but I'm semi-disappointed. Its nice and i know i shouldn't expect much from a 200 watt amp but i would be pissed had i bought this off crutchfield for the $650 asking price.

once you get to a certain volume it seems that in some music the bass actually disappears the louder you go and it sounds like its not even on. but on rock and pop music at semi loud volumes it sounds nice... there is just no way to tune these with the stock dash unit.. tonal balance across the board just sucks.. component speakers for the doors are already on the way and the dash speakers will be lost..

I will be soon upgrading the woofers and adding a larger amp... i mostly got this because i like how the subs are recessed in the box and i don't have to move the seat up to fit them.

I might also sand the box down and have it painted while I'm at it... there is plenty of room in the back to stash an amp.

overall.. its Worth the $250 or so that it cost me between buying it and installation.. but any more and id be bummed..

So now I'm looking for hertz, re or FI subs to fit in here... and about a 600 watt amp

BTW.. the stock sub that came with my truck is now out and for sale... im giving you guys first shot.. PM me with your best shipped price and if its worth it, ill take it. If not ill just put it on ebay in a week or so...

Last edited by Doc Fluty; 07-15-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:07 AM
depunz
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Nice!

Looks nice Doc. Did the installers say why it was such a PITA to install? I'll have to be on the lookout for one. Like you said I's never pay $650 for one but $200 sounds a lot better.

Sean

Old 07-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Hop
Professional

I have a thunderform box in the dakota. It sounds ok but, I had to tweak the gain and crossover on the TF box for it to sound good. Have you tried tweaking yours? The way I did it was to max out everything other than the MTX's. And slowly tweak the gain and crossover till if sounded good. Look next to the wires on top of the box. There should be two ***** to adjust it.
--Hop

Old 07-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

after living with this an breaking it in (and adjusting settings like hop said) i now sorta change my mind about this item..

It sound good when adjusted.. although it tends to disappear with certain types of music (usually loud country)... i does do well on hip hop or rock

So i would say that this is a nice buy..expesically since the amp is built in.. but still... try to find it for less than $300 or so

Old 07-20-2009, 03:06 PM
c0mf0rt
Captain

Looks great man... guess I'll keep an eye out on eBay for something similar. Anybody else's eyes bigger than their pockets right now?

Old 07-20-2009, 05:51 PM
jdcovert
Veteran

Originally Posted by c0mf0rt
Anybody else's eyes bigger than their pockets right now?
HAHA Always!!! ...I think I've warn a hole in my pockets dipping into them so much! Dadgum!

Old 03-26-2010, 12:36 AM
laboy
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this box will fit 2010 Quad Cab?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:43 AM
Doc Fluty
Banned

yep.. all of the trucks are the same under the back seat

Old 03-26-2010, 12:50 AM
CaliAthlete
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the Nav radio + upgraded system to begin with? Or was yours a complete custom job? I'm thinking about getting a JL stealthbox or something for mine, the "upgraded" alpine system's sub still doesn't quite cut it for me...

If you do/DID have the Alpine system like me how much trouble was it to rewire the ****?

Old 03-26-2010, 01:53 AM
Doc Fluty
Banned

mine is the stock unit.. its the version with the hard drive and touch screen but not the GPS

so yeah i have the alpine system.. and my center channel, rear ceiling speakers, back door and front door & sub all work how they are supposed too

just sticking in the amplified subs was easy.. i cant remember if they wired if from the factory sub wire or the back doors.. for some reason im thinking they said that had to use the door signal instead.. but i dunno..

i think it was because the sub amp isnt in the factory sub. So they couldnt use that signal because it was already amped...

it was hooked up in under 45 minutes including running power to it and everything...so it couldnt have been that hard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dual 10" MTX Thunderform Installed - Pics