4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

antenna upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:01 AM
War Horse
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antenna upgrade

Has anyone upgraded their factory AM/FM radio antenna to anything smaller or better? On my last truck I swapped the antenna out for one I bought at Auto Zone. While it looked better, the reception wasn't that great compared to the stock one.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Tankit
Professional

I picked up this bad boy for $13.99 and it works great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Black...Q5fAccessories

Old 08-04-2009, 10:33 AM
seigell
Veteran

Is it the Antenna (admittedly a stodgy standard design), or the flimsy plastic base mount on the curve of the fender, that is the real frustration ??
With the massive expanse of windshield glass, and the near-standard addition of Sat Radio, why didn't the designers opt for a nearly invisible integrated windshield antenna ??

Old 08-04-2009, 02:20 PM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seigell
Is it the Antenna (admittedly a stodgy standard design), or the flimsy plastic base mount on the curve of the fender, that is the real frustration ??
yes, the mount has to go. almost worth having it removed by the paint/body guys. under-hood antennae possibly? with all the other entertainment options i very rarely listen to broadcast radio anyways.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Tankit
Professional

just curious you guys bring up flimsy plastic base mount "
have there been issues with it?

Old 08-04-2009, 02:41 PM
War Horse
All Star

Yea, I definitely wish there was an internal antenna. The stock was is decent enough looking, but a little large for my tastes.

Thanks Tankit, I got one ordered and it's on the way.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:04 PM
jaflowers
Professional

Originally Posted by Tankit
I picked up this bad boy for $13.99 and it works great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Black...Q5fAccessories
Bought one of those also. While it looked great and had good reception it caused one problem for me, it WHISTLED from all speeds past 45-50 mph. On the interstate I had to crank the radio to get that whistle sound out of my head, could still hear it. I have the Mopar bug deflector, pulled that off cause I thought it might be making the noise..... no help. Took it to the dealer and felt like an idiot when they told me what was causing it. Thank God I saved the old one. Wish I could find a different one cause I hate the look of the big steel one, it is rusting here in Florida.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:21 PM
War Horse
All Star

Wow, that is odd. I've not heard it yet, but it's probably one of those sounds that once you hear it, you'll never be able to un-hear it. Hopefully the new antenna will stop that, or at least reduce it quiet a bit.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:53 PM
seigell
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tankit
just curious you guys bring up flimsy plastic base mount "
have there been issues with it?
Problems: Kind'a yes... Since the carwash guys remove the antenna every time, and then screw it back "un-tightly", I've had numerous experiences hopping out to tighten it before it falls off. And I've noticed that the plastic base is starting to be loose - rotates a bit on the fender under normal pressure. It won't be too long before that causes paint rub or rotates to the point of breaking the mounting - which is surely just a plastic plug...

Old 08-05-2009, 10:03 AM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

I got one off e bay that is 13" amd thicker and rubber! Looks good and I get better reception for my system!

Quick Reply: antenna upgrade