4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hood Hail Damaged

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009 | 05:44 PM
TooFast007
|
Default Hood Hail Damaged

Arghhh....Denver's big hail storm dented my TRX's aluminum hood with about 15 hits. Left steel fender has one dent. The other cars in my driveway survived.

Time to start thinking about the Challenger hood...too bad it's aluminum also.

Maybe I should mount a real scoop, PDR the remaining dents and figure out how to route some ram air

Anyone out there able to photoshop some hood scoops on to the oem hood?

Old 08-06-2009 | 11:33 AM
navyr6
Professional

might as well go for the challenger hood- what's the price difference between that and one of the stock hoods?

Old 08-07-2009 | 12:07 PM
09 RT RAM
Question

Originally Posted by TooFast007
Arghhh....Denver's big hail storm dented my TRX's aluminum hood with about 15 hits. Left steel fender has one dent. The other cars in my driveway survived.

Time to start thinking about the Challenger hood...too bad it's aluminum also.

Maybe I should mount a real scoop, PDR the remaining dents and figure out how to route some ram air

Anyone out there able to photoshop some hood scoops on to the oem hood?

I am counting 16 smal hail dents on my aluminum R/T hood.......someone verify with a magnet the MOPAR Apperance Hood......Dodge told us it is steel. The hood is on National Backorder...also I have yet to determine if the OEM MOPAR Challenger hood scoop kit (opens it up) will work on the MOPAR appearance hood.....

Last edited by 09 RT RAM; 08-10-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling....LOL
Old 08-07-2009 | 06:17 PM
jdustu
Veteran

Originally Posted by 09 RT RAM
I am counting 16 smal hail dents on my aluminum R/T hood.......someone verify with a magnet the MOPAR Apperance Hood......Dodge told us is was steel. The hood is on National Backorder...also I have yet to determine if the OEM MOPAR Challenger hood scoop kit (opens it up) will work on the MOPAR appearance hood.....
I'm almost positive the Mopar hood is aluminum too. The Mopar site does say they are sheet metal, but that doesn't mean they aren't aluminum sheet metal. I'll find out from my brother in law, he works at the truck plant. He sent me pics of those a long time ago, he was pretty excited about them!

Old 08-07-2009 | 06:22 PM
jdustu
Veteran

Yeah, he just got back with me. The Challenger style hood is aluminum too.

Old 08-10-2009 | 12:52 PM
09 RT RAM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jdustu
Yeah, he just got back with me. The Challenger style hood is aluminum too.

thanks! still trying to round one up.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT might work?

Old 08-10-2009 | 01:06 PM
jdustu
Veteran

Originally Posted by 09 RT RAM
thanks! still trying to round one up.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT might work?
I don't think it would do you much good, even if it fits. The air intake is already drawing the air from outside the engine. This would maybe cool down the compartment a very little bit, but I don't really see engine heat being an issue. It would take a lot more work to make it a "ram air" style setup.

I guess I'd still do it if it fit, just so the hood at least has scoops that are open lol.

Old 08-11-2009 | 11:19 AM
TooFast007
|
Default Hhoto Shop anyone?

I'm still thinking of adding an aftermarket "Cowl Induction" (1970 Chevelle style)hood scoop to my original hood since my first PDR estimate was for $650 and I have $500 deductable. I like the Challenger hood but it would be much more costly and still be susceptable to easy hail damage. My location in Denver hasn't been bad for hail till lately - 3 hail storms in the last 2 weeks

The hood scoop would cover most of the hail dents and could be bitchin with a good looking scoop so I was hoping someone could photo chop one on for me.

Having ram air would be nice but a PIA to fab.

Old 08-11-2009 | 04:15 PM
MMMMRice
Veteran

Id say invest in a garage or car port.... or keep fixing your truck and letting hail f*ck it up over and over.

Old 08-14-2009 | 07:15 PM
09 RT RAM
Wink

Originally Posted by MMMMRice
Id say invest in a garage or car port.... or keep fixing your truck and letting hail f*ck it up over and over.

dude...you almost Leno but not quite......the garage is full of Harleys mang........ and besides........what are you going to do....Dodge (excuse the pun) the freggin' hail stones.......you New Englander's crack me up

TEJAS - WARNING...UNANNOUNCED HAIL STONES APPROACHING.....

Quick Reply: Hood Hail Damaged