4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Airlift 1000 Bags

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Stonewhiteram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airlift 1000 Bags

I am lovin my Airlift bags. I can put the recommended amount of weight in the bed with very little squat if any. Finally I can use my truck for a truck and not be embarrassed. I loaded 900 pounds in the bed today and drove 400 miles, great ride, no squat. I do go back to the recommended 5 psi in the bags when the bed is empty, otherwise the ride is very rough to say the least. An easy to install mod with great benefits if you ask me.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:29 PM
topgun
Captain

Just ordered a set tonight!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:30 PM
hawk570
Rookie

Glad to hear this. I am also thinking of adding them to my 09 Laramie. I pulled my pop up camper just last week, and the truck did squat plenty, I was actually very surpised and not impressed. How hard is the install?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:54 PM
chrisp929
Professional

Install for those who have lifts ( me ) :

1. lift truck to working height.
2. remove both rear wheels.
3. lower truck down so rear end sits on saw horse lightly and no further.
4. remove REAR SHOCK bolts only. ( no other bolts anywhere are necessary )
5. raise truck up ever so slowly. Rear end will stay put on saw horse as truck is lifted up. Only raise truck up enough until the springs are loose enough to remove by hand. ( WARNING, do not raise truck up any higher than required to loosen springs to be able to remove by hand. WATCH your break lines carefully or they will tear out of your rear calipers ).
6. remove springs by hand, install air bag, air line, and spacer all at same time.
7. reinstall spring making sure to reinstall as they came out.
8. plumb rest of hose out to back like i did or plumb hose to compressor etc.
9. lower truck back down so you can put shock bolts back in easily.
10. put wheels on, lower truck, add 5psi to bags. Your done.

For those with jack stands and jack.
1. jack up truck and install jack stands slightly forward of rear wheels on frame on both sides carefully and about a foot off the ground.
2. put jack under pumpkin and use jack to raise pumpkin up and down during install.
3. Repeat steps above.

Disclaimer .. ( fill in here ) .. cant sue me .. this is for what its worth .. and in my own words .. its THAT easy.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 PM
72combo
Champion

How much are theses bagsand where do we get them and the compressor

Old 08-05-2009, 11:47 PM
chrisp929
Professional

i got my bags from 4wheelparts.com .. which had them drop shipped from the manufacturers warehouse ... ready for this one .. in compton, california ..

i'm sure you can get the compressor kit for this airbag kit as well from them .. make sure its the manufacturers kit specifically for the airlift 1000 ..

http://www.airliftcompany.com/load_controllerII.html

Reviewing this controller, you probably don't need a seperate manifold to run seperate lines to each bag .. if i towed heavy often i would get this in 2 seconds flat. But i almost never tow heavy, and when i do, i'll manually fill the bags myself ..

good luck.

Last edited by chrisp929; 08-05-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:47 AM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice description chrisp, almost identical to my install excluding a few mistakes on my part that extended my project by about an hour...

fyi, you can always add the compressor at a later date if you determine it necessary.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Hop
Professional

So the only thing that limits the rear axle from over extending and having the springs fall out is the shocks? Or are there bolted clips that hold the springs in place? I'd hate to go dukes of hazard and have my springs fall out. B)
--Hop

Old 08-07-2009, 10:16 AM
chrisp929
Professional

shocks and rear sway bar links ..

Old 08-18-2009, 08:59 PM
GMacGyver

Originally Posted by chrisp929
Install for those who have lifts ( me ) :

1. lift truck to working height.
2. remove both rear wheels.
3. lower truck down so rear end sits on saw horse lightly and no further.
4. remove REAR SHOCK bolts only. ( no other bolts anywhere are necessary )
5. raise truck up ever so slowly. Rear end will stay put on saw horse as truck is lifted up. Only raise truck up enough until the springs are loose enough to remove by hand. ( WARNING, do not raise truck up any higher than required to loosen springs to be able to remove by hand. WATCH your break lines carefully or they will tear out of your rear calipers ).
6. remove springs by hand, install air bag, air line, and spacer all at same time.
7. reinstall spring making sure to reinstall as they came out.
8. plumb rest of hose out to back like i did or plumb hose to compressor etc.
9. lower truck back down so you can put shock bolts back in easily.
10. put wheels on, lower truck, add 5psi to bags. Your done.

For those with jack stands and jack.
1. jack up truck and install jack stands slightly forward of rear wheels on frame on both sides carefully and about a foot off the ground.
2. put jack under pumpkin and use jack to raise pumpkin up and down during install.
3. Repeat steps above.

Disclaimer .. ( fill in here ) .. cant sue me .. this is for what its worth .. and in my own words .. its THAT easy.
I saw the video on Airlifts website and they show a guy "squishing" the bags and sliding them in the spring (with the help of a breaker bar), do you think that would really work. I don't have a lift and sounds like a lot of trouble to remove the springs. Just curious..

Quick Reply: Airlift 1000 Bags