4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is there any way to turn traction control right off??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:24 PM
sking
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ran jr
Isn't this wheel sensor you're unhooking also used by the ABS module?
I think I will hang around for that answer.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:30 PM
tombogue09
Captain

Back a few months ago in a snowstorm my traction control got used alot. The "grinding" sound it made sounded exactly like the ABS.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:57 PM
JesseHutchings

Originally Posted by TZM
it works, just did it this morning, the connections are just on the otherside of the inner plastic fenders. can do a 70 foot burnout from a dead stop just by stomping the gas no brake.
I just tried that and it says abs is off too... went for a spin and really wasnt much... just a chirp which is the same as before...
what gear ratio you got?

Old 08-16-2009, 10:22 PM
topgun
Captain

Originally Posted by sarguy01
I have a feeling this is just 4 wheel drive and not the traction control. The front wheels, while in 4 wheel drive, are not going to turn the same. In 4x4, I can feel the front tires grabbing and slipping on hard pavement.

I have driven mine on ice a few times and never once had a problem.
Thought the very same thing when I read the post. That is typical of a 4x4 when you are turning sharp, you get a jerk of sorts as it unwinds.

And yes, the sensor also works with the ABS so how do you keep the light from coming on?

Old 08-16-2009, 10:41 PM
MMMMRice
Veteran

Just wanted to let you guys know that the charger technique doesnt work.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:21 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know, which is from the bits I have read of the service manual, the speed sensors are apart of the ABS system. They tell the ABS module if some wheels are locked and some are still spinning, i.e. braking on ice. If you disable them, you disable ABS and ESP since the ABS module cannot get inputs from all wheels.

I think there may be a way to trick the truck into thinking it is 4 wheel drive even though it isn't and then being able to disable the ESP via the switch.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:44 AM
72combo
Champion

didn't anyone read td's post here is the part that I believe he wants us to read:
Disabling ESP

ESP is now a common feature in Chrysler and Dodge vehicles, and in most of these cars it cannot be completely disabled. Unlike other stability programs on the market, pushing the button on the dash to ‘deactivate’ the system merely lowers its sensitivity. In the case of extreme wheel spin or radical lateral movement, ESP will kick in to reign the vehicle back under control. In order to completely remove the Electronic Stability Program from the equation, it is necessary to pull a fuse underneath the hood of the car. In response to consumer demand, some of Chrysler’s more performance-oriented vehicles are now being outfitted with an ESP system which does not require such an extreme step in order to be turned off completely

Old 08-17-2009, 01:22 AM
TZM
Rookie

Originally Posted by JesseHutchings
I just tried that and it says abs is off too... went for a spin and really wasnt much... just a chirp which is the same as before...
what gear ratio you got?
not sure on the ratio, but i think the 3.55(whatever the common one is) and yeah the abs light is on. i wouldnt leave it unhooked in the rain, just for havin some fun on a sunday.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:35 AM
Mack047

"...In order to completely remove the Electronic Stability Program from the equation, it is necessary to pull a fuse underneath the hood of the car...."

...I was just looking for this fuse, but couldn't find one labeled ESP. Is it labeled with a different name?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:38 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure which fuse to pull, but the ABS system is an integral part of the ESP. ESP will also limit engine function, which is not controlled by the ABS module. I am thinking if one were to pull the ABS fuse, ESP would also be limited or disabled because the PCM (I am assuming PCM here) will not get any input on wheel speed and therefore the PCM will not limit engine torque in a wheels spinning scenario. Or at least, this is what I am 90% sure about.

From the service manual, this is our ABS system. Disabling any of the wheel speed sensors will disable/reduce the function of the ABS system. I know this for a fact.

DESCRIPTION

The antilock brake system (ABS) is an electronically operated, four channel brake control system. The vehicle has Electronic Variable Brake Proportioning (EVBP) designed into the system which eliminates the combination/proportioning valve.
The system is designed to prevent wheel lockup and maintain steering control during braking. Preventing lockup is accomplished by modulating fluid pressure to the wheel brake units.
The hydraulic system is a four channel design. All wheel brakes are controlled individually. The ABS electrical system is separate from other electrical circuits in the vehicle. A specially programmed controller antilock brake unit operates the system components.
ABS system major components include:
  • Antilock Brake Module (ABM)
  • Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU)
  • Wheel Speed Sensors (WSS)
  • ABS Warning Light
Further,
OPERATION

Battery voltage is supplied to the ABM. The ABM performs a system initialization procedure at start up. A check of the ABS motor is performed at 15 miles per hour. Initialization consists of a static and dynamic self check of system electrical components.
The static and dynamic checks occurs at ignition start up. During the dynamic check, the ABM briefly cycles solenoids to verify operation. An audible noise may be heard during this self check. This noise should be considered normal. The ABS motor and pump are then checked at a speed of 15 mile per hour.
If an ABS component exhibits a fault during initialization, the ABM illuminates the amber warning light and registers a fault code in the microprocessor memory.
The ABM monitors wheel speed sensor inputs continuously while the vehicle is in motion. However, the ABM will not activate any ABS components as long as sensor inputs indicate normal braking.
During normal braking, the master cylinder, power booster and wheel brake units all function as they would in a vehicle without ABS. The HCU components are not activated.
The purpose of the antilock system is to prevent wheel lockup. Preventing lockup helps maintain vehicle braking action and steering control.
The antilock ABM activates the system whenever sensor signals indicate periods of wheel slip.
The antilock system prevents lockup during a wheel slip condition by modulating fluid apply pressure to the wheel brake units.
Brake fluid apply pressure is modulated according to wheel speed, degree of slip and rate of deceleration. Sensors at each wheel convert wheel speed into electrical signals. These signals are transmitted to the ABM for processing and determination of wheel slip and deceleration rate.
The ABS system has four fluid pressure control channels. Each wheel brakes are controlled separately. A speed sensor input signal indicating a wheel slip condition activates the ABM antilock program.
There are Two solenoid valves (Isolation and Dump valve) which are used in each antilock control channel. The valves are all located within the HCU valve body and work in pairs to either increase, hold, or decrease apply pressure as needed in the individual control channels.
During an ABS stop the ISO valve is energized which acts to prevent further pressure build-up to the calipers. Then the Dump valve dumps off pressure until the wheel unlocks. This will continue until the wheels quit slipping altogether.

Last edited by sarguy01; 08-17-2009 at 07:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Is there any way to turn traction control right off??