4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is there any way to turn traction control right off??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 AM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't looked under my truck yet but have long thought about disconnecting it and jumping the relay. By jumping the relay it would lie to ESP telling it that it is still connected, would it not? Therefore no warning lights would come on, however I'd want my ABS working properly and find a way to keep them.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 1954Radio
I haven't looked under my truck yet but have long thought about disconnecting it and jumping the relay. By jumping the relay it would lie to ESP telling it that it is still connected, would it not? Therefore no warning lights would come on, however I'd want my ABS working properly and find a way to keep them.
But ESP is not a separate module. It is two parts, the ABS and PCM. You can't just unhook it.

Or maybe I misunderstood. What relay do you want to jump?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 PM
fdfreeze
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sarguy01
I have a feeling this is just 4 wheel drive and not the traction control. The front wheels, while in 4 wheel drive, are not going to turn the same. In 4x4, I can feel the front tires grabbing and slipping on hard pavement.

I have driven mine on ice a few times and never once had a problem.
I had an 07 st quad 4X4 it never did it, but it didn't have traction control either. When we turn it off it fixes it so i am thinking that it is the traction control.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:49 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by fdfreeze
I had an 07 st quad 4X4 it never did it, but it didn't have traction control either. When we turn it off it fixes it so i am thinking that it is the traction control.
It is very interesting then.

I was not trying to say your were wrong, I was just throwing out a suggestion.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:04 PM
fdfreeze

The snap could have been from a tight turn (i was turning very tight) But i tend to blame everything on esp the ice thing is no joke though. it goes quite sketchy on ice with it on. I leave it off all winter maybe it works better when your hydroplaning, I don't know. I have just had the bad experiencees with it on ice at <=5mph on my driveway. It kinda of does a little dance when in 4 wheel drive . I figured it was because it couldn't decide what to do when all the tires are sliping(not spinnning like crazy just a little bit of a spin maybe a full rotation if that), though once it does that it goes bananas. This is the only 4X4 I've ever had that does that i never had any trouble with my other ones and with it off i don't have it.

Last edited by fdfreeze; 08-17-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:59 AM
JesseHutchings

Originally Posted by TZM
not sure on the ratio, but i think the 3.55(whatever the common one is) and yeah the abs light is on. i wouldnt leave it unhooked in the rain, just for havin some fun on a sunday.
haha well i got the 3.92's which is a higher ratio... which means quicker acceleration... and there wasn't no 70 foot burnout...

Old 08-18-2009, 02:03 AM
TZM
Rookie

Originally Posted by JesseHutchings
haha well i got the 3.92's which is a higher ratio... which means quicker acceleration... and there wasn't no 70 foot burnout...
i dunno what to tell ya, ive been doin it all day yesterday and this afternoon today. at a 4 lane intersection, lays rubber right through the intersection across the 4 lanes and then some. maybe more like 50-60. one wheel only tho

Old 08-18-2009, 11:31 PM
1954Radio
Captain

Originally Posted by sarguy01
But ESP is not a separate module. It is two parts, the ABS and PCM. You can't just unhook it.

Or maybe I misunderstood. What relay do you want to jump?
Well, like I said I haven't under my truck but there's got to be a wire plug going into each brake for traction control to work properly. Maybe there are two separate wires or four together in one plug for both ESP and ABS. But if I could find the two wires for ESP, that plug with the two wires should be able to be jumped from one to another telling ESP it is still connected. Therefore when ESP kicks in and no brakes would apply. It should activate just like an on and off switch, but plz correct me if I'm wrong. Current would pass from one wire through the ESP (into the brake relay) and back through the other wire back to the ECM, would it not? Then again, maybe the relays and or plugs are connected to the ABS and or the Master Cylnder, just a hunch

Last edited by 1954Radio; 08-18-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:15 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 1954Radio
Well, like I said I haven't under my truck but there's got to be a wire plug going into each brake for traction control to work properly. Maybe there are two separate wires or four together in one plug for both ESP and ABS. But if I could find the two wires for ESP, that plug with the two wires should be able to be jumped from one to another telling ESP it is still connected. Therefore when ESP kicks in and no brakes would apply. It should activate just like an on and off switch, but plz correct me if I'm wrong. Current would pass from one wire through the ESP (into the brake relay) and back through the other wire back to the ECM, would it not? Then again, maybe the relays and or plugs are connected to the ABS and or the Master Cylnder, just a hunch
Maybe this will help. There are no wires connected to the calipers for the ESP. The HCU can individually brake the wheels that are slipping or make then slip if they are locked.

DESCRIPTION

The antilock brake system (ABS) is an electronically operated, four channel brake control system. The vehicle has Electronic Variable Brake Proportioning (EVBP) designed into the system which eliminates the combination/proportioning valve.
The system is designed to prevent wheel lockup and maintain steering control during braking. Preventing lockup is accomplished by modulating fluid pressure to the wheel brake units.
The hydraulic system is a four channel design. All wheel brakes are controlled individually. The ABS electrical system is separate from other electrical circuits in the vehicle. A specially programmed controller antilock brake unit operates the system components.
ABS system major components include:

• Antilock Brake Module (ABM)
  • Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU)
  • Wheel Speed Sensors (WSS)
  • ABS Warning Light

Old 12-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Ram Fan

Originally Posted by devile
YET! (Fingers crossed) Hopefully somebody will find a way!
Well there is a way pretty sure it just disables bas and traction contro even though the abs light will go off. I've tested the brakes multiple times and see no signs of abs failure. I pulled a fuse under the hood believe it was j6 could be j7 it's the 40 amp fuse out of the two the other is a 30 amp. This has completely worked for me and It's awesome if you don't like it put the fuse back in let me know if this helps.

Last edited by Ram Fan; 12-24-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Is there any way to turn traction control right off??