4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Update on Diablo Tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:33 PM
savage_46
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FL09RamSport
First thing her did was reduce the TC by 50%.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:57 PM
ran jr
Veteran

They said they ran in to some issue with the programming. It seems the initial truck that they had at the shop last week did not have the new MDS Flash.
Will there be an issue like this everytime the PCM gets flashed?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:04 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ran jr
Will there be an issue like this everytime the PCM gets flashed?
my guess would be yes, with the major ecm changes they have been making i think Diablo will run into problems...I dont see this thing producing enough of a change to warrant the price tag

Old 08-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

i was wondering if they were aware of the updated software... good to know they are..

but as far as the power.. i dynod my truck yesterday in over 100 degree weather and got 326 hp at the wheels.. so i hope they get more than 'a little over 300 hp" with thier tune

Old 08-31-2009, 09:04 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they take a baseline dyno run before they started putzing with it?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:14 PM
jdustu
Veteran

Originally Posted by Doc Fluty
i was wondering if they were aware of the updated software... good to know they are..

but as far as the power.. i dynod my truck yesterday in over 100 degree weather and got 326 hp at the wheels.. so i hope they get more than 'a little over 300 hp" with thier tune

A lot of it depends on the dyno, and who is running it. The same vehicle can vary a lot depending on the type of machine it's dynoed on. To have an accurate comparison, you really need to at least be running on the same type of dyno.

I'm wondering if the torque converter is gonna make things different for the R/T?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:02 PM
moparfreak77
Rookie

What is TC?

Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Doc Fluty
Banned

traction control

Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 AM
FL09RamSport
Professional

To answer a few of your questions.

As far as comparing Dynos between mine and Doc. I showed them Doc's dyno and they were surprised at the difference until they saw the Dynapac brand. They said that dynopac is always showing higher numbers then real world. Mostly because the rear tires are taken off and that is a load that usually is not taken in to consideration. Also Doc has an intake which could have given him another 5 hp. After taking all that in to consideration they were not concerned with the difference.

In regards to new flashes, yes that will probably be a continuing factor we will always have to deal with. The advantage I have is I can drive over and have them check the new flash and what changes have been made. Any changes to a tune would be an internet download.

Torque shot through the roof when he made the changes. From what I saw there will be a lot that can be done by the consumer to tune the truck. I know the software they had loaded on the lap top went in to extreme detail as to options to change.

Since they have my truck for 2 days I am trying to get the Trinity instead of the Predator, Lets see yesterday they said I could pay for the upgrade.

Oh and the loaner they gave me is a Furd F-150 4x4. The licence reads "Diablo 3".

Nice group of guys and definitely very knowledgeable.

Next update will be when I test the tune.

Oh and they said about 3 weeks before it starts shipping out to their retailers. This also depends on how my week goes with the new tune.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:50 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Ok 7pm update.
I left the truck at Diablo this morning. I returned around 2pm and it was strapped in to the dyno. They said they ran in to some issue with the programming. It seems the initial truck that they had at the shop last week did not have the new MDS Flash.

This threw a monkey wrench on what they had originally worked on, so they a bit behind.
They were able to run the truck on the dyno and got a little over 300hp. He showed me how they go in to the programming and start making adjusting.

First thing her did was reduce the TC by 50%. He said that will make a world of difference.

They asked me to leave the truck because they needs some more time and I really did not want to hang out there much longer.

Tomorrow I will have a very aggressive performance tune for me to try for a week.
Sorry I am not a gear head so I do not have numbers but everyone there was extremely impressed with the numbers that were showing.

They said that they have unleashed the beast. I heard a huge difference on the last dyno they did before I left.
As far as a group buy he said we would have to work that out with a retailer since they do not sell to the public.
This reminds me of when I cammed my 2000. I took it to the dealership to have the fuel sync set. At the time I had a B&G flash and told the service manager under no circumstances, no how, no way did I want anything else done to the PCM. I made them bring the mechanic out to the desk so I could reiterate. Sounds like this may be the strategy three weeks from now.

Why only 50%?

Quick Reply: Update on Diablo Tune