4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diablo review

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:24 AM
daprincipal
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way would I sell or give the tune to someone. Definitely unethical considering this guy is writing tunes to probably put food on the table. Besides its $75 bucks to us but if someone sold it to someone who sold it to 3 others this guys is out $300.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:48 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 94rt10ohio
If I get one I am just going with the Predator. No need to have the bells and whistles for $200+. The Predator can do all the programming the Trinity does, or so I read on their site (within the forums of their site). The product page tries to sell the Trinity of course.

As for this "custom" tune you bought.... What is stopping you from giving/selling it to others, other than being ethical?
Other than being ethical, my vin is probably written into the tune. I am not sure how Diablo works their stuff, but I know with SCT if you have a custom tune written it will only work with the truck it was written for.

If it was some big company that was price gouging I might consider trying, but $75 seems fair for the enjoyment I've gotten out of it. It is probably some kind of control freak flaw of character, but it seems to me that spending time and money on the r&d to claim 390hp out of a 5.7l engine without using any power adders is stupid if they're going to cripple it when it goes into production.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:09 AM
tombogue09
Captain

Its funny how this is shot down as unethical while at the same time everyone is concerned if the diablo will return to stock when taken to the dealer.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:25 AM
kasjun

Originally Posted by tombogue09
Its funny how this is shot down as unethical while at the same time everyone is concerned if the diablo will return to stock when taken to the dealer.
Point well taken!!!

kasjun

Old 10-14-2009, 11:29 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

If you are saying that it is unethical to alter the factory tune, and expect them to honor the lifetime warranty I think it unethical to sell a truck billed as having 390hp and 407 ft/lbs and cripple it to the point that you can't use it when you want to.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:43 AM
tombogue09
Captain

I respect your opinion but I think its unethical. The truck is not designed to handle 390hp to the wheels, if it was then it would have a stronger tranny. You have that lifetime warranty because the truck is programmed to have a long powertrain life, if you want to reprogram it then you should take repsonsibility for changing the program.
Its not like they lied about the hp, they just measure it differently than you (not at the wheels).

Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I know the difference between whp and hp at the crank. My point was that it is a waste of time putting all those resources into the developement of a 390hp na motor if they won't let it through to the wheels. Its kind of like telling a girl that you have 12 inches then afterward saying, "Oh, did I forget to mention. I'm only gonna slip 6 in there".

Old 10-14-2009, 01:03 PM
tombogue09
Captain

Its just marketing I guess. I see your point though, they advertise some hp thats higher than other trucks but detune it to where it runs almost the same.
You may just encourage me to get a diablo

Old 10-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Shumdit
Professional

I agree that it's not ethical to expect Chrysler to honor the warranty if you start adding items that push the HP well above what the factory was supposed to give you, but removing the Torque Limiting program seems to be completely within the realm of what I should be able to do and not violate the warranty. If they say it's 390 HP and 407 Torque, but limit it to 40-50 below that I feel like I am being robbed. I am not sure if any of you remember this, but Ford had a problem with the 1999-2000 Mustang Cobra and it put out less HP than advertised. Ford ended up having to stop production and correct the problem for owners since they were facing a class action lawsuit. I think if I bought a tuner and just removed the TM and got it to feel like 390 HP should, I would not lose sleep over it.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:08 PM
srt8/bmw
Amateur

Its just marketing I guess. I see your point though, they advertise some hp thats higher than other trucks but detune it to where it runs almost the same.
You may just encourage me to get a diablo
The Diablo is a good "middle ground"...I love this truck--I really do. and I wouldn't trade it for any competitor--the motor, tranny and suspension are amazingly smooth. But like my other Hemi/Chrysler products, the TM has this thing so detuned its really not worhty of the 390hp that it advertises.

The Diablo will wake it up--let it shift naturally and not decelerate at shift points. I installed Diablo on my SRT8 and it turned it into a differnt car all together--but not so radical that the tranny is getting hammered. You COULD take the Diablo unit to a local CMR shop, and they can ring another 20-40 hp out of it..but you will really be pushing the limits of what the truck was designed to do in terms of powertrain endurance.

Quick Reply: Diablo review