4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diablo review

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:50 PM
stvsherrod
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok. you guys are running circles around me... i have never used a tuner and really don't know anything about them other than they give you more hp and tq and make you go faster-faster.. (couldn't resist)

so if you buy the diablo tuner, you can get different tunes for it..? and i don't mean stereo tunes! what is TM? traction management? sounds easy enough but what does that do and why would you want to disable it?
would someone be interested in explaining all this crap to someone that knows nothing about it.. i love being faster than the next guy and any advantage i can get to do that is great. lets have it!

Old 10-13-2009, 04:16 PM
jason2922
Veteran

Tuners usually come with up to 3-5 different tunes, hp, fuel...

I believe you can get your own tunes and store them as well...

TM is torque management, controls the amount of torque from your tranny. unlocking more torque = power/hp but the downfall is that it can burn out your tranny faster...

I'm sure more individuals with experience and tuners will chime in and give you better details...

Old 10-13-2009, 05:34 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Tuners are different. Hypertech for example is kind of mild. It will install a canned tune on your truck that only affects the way the engine runs. It gives you no control over anything except for changing tire size or gear ratio. There are several more that give you varying degrees over the motor and some give you transmission control (i.e. shift points, shift firmness, part throttle upshift, etc.). With Diablo or SCT (if they ever get around to supporting our trucks) you have the ability to have a full cutom tune written through the use of either a dyno or data logging. Diablo gives you the ability to data log everything you need to write your own tune with the exception of a wide band o2 sensor. These can be had elsewhere and the Trinity at least (don't know about the Predator) has an input which can be used to accomodate a/f monitoring. As for going deeper into the PCM and eliminating torque management or ESP, you have to find someone with both a working knowledge of your particular PCM and the proprietary software for whatever tuner you are using. I believe with Diablo you would have to become what they call a CMR dealer to acquire the software. Not sure though.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:43 PM
70GS455
Rookie

Can this custom tune be returned to stock and back to custom tune whenever desired?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:52 PM
daprincipal
Professional

Just ordered Mike Wilson custom tune. Will let you know how it goes. Anyone else with Trinity can you list some 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with what tune you are using.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 PM
stvsherrod
Professional

ok. i'm assuming that with these tunes you can safely use them without tearing anything up unless you are just out burning up your tires.. i'm more into the go fast part of it than i am just spinning the tires anyway. i don't want to get anything that will burn up my trans.

mopowar, with that tune that you have, i'm sure it's built for power but has it affected your mpg at all good or bad? is that tune something you would download from a computer to the tuner then to your truck or how do you get it?

is there that much difference in the two diablo tuners? the trinity has all the extra guages and crap but they both have factory tunes and can store up to 5 custom tunes (i'm getting smarter).. thanks

Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

MPGs on last page

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...lo-tune-5.html

Last edited by CarGuyOhio; 10-13-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by stvsherrod
ok. i'm assuming that with these tunes you can safely use them without tearing anything up unless you are just out burning up your tires.. i'm more into the go fast part of it than i am just spinning the tires anyway. i don't want to get anything that will burn up my trans.

mopowar, with that tune that you have, i'm sure it's built for power but has it affected your mpg at all good or bad? is that tune something you would download from a computer to the tuner then to your truck or how do you get it?

is there that much difference in the two diablo tuners? the trinity has all the extra guages and crap but they both have factory tunes and can store up to 5 custom tunes (i'm getting smarter).. thanks
Well, the reason that they put all of the TM in there is to keep from tearing stuff up. I suppose now we will be able to see if the trannies they put in our trucks will truly withstand the power that the motor is capable of. I would say that if you're not going around slammin the hammer down on a regular basis that you'll be fine.

I think as far as programming and data logging go that the Predator and Trinity are pretty much the same. The Trinity supports all of the vehicles that Diablo supports so you can use it on multiple vehicles although you must return one to stock before using it on the next. It also (as you mention) has more bells and whistles.

As far as mpg's please follow the link provided by our fearless moderator.

Any of the tunes written by the Trinity or Predator can be returned to stock- canned or custom.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:07 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If I get one I am just going with the Predator. No need to have the bells and whistles for $200+. The Predator can do all the programming the Trinity does, or so I read on their site (within the forums of their site). The product page tries to sell the Trinity of course.

As for this "custom" tune you bought.... What is stopping you from giving/selling it to others, other than being ethical?

Old 10-14-2009, 09:21 AM
rjc799
Veteran

I am going to research some more on the exact differences before buying one.

Quick Reply: Diablo review