4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Headlight malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:48 AM
firebug18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight malfunction

Hello, Im not sure if this was discussed yet or not (I didn't see anything when I searched).. I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 and I have been having problems with my passenger side headlight. I have the quad beam light assembly and for some reason the low beam and high beam do not work from time to time. The bulbs are still good and the parking light still works, its just the low and high beam. Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem or knows a fix? I didn't see any technical service bulletins or recalls on it yet and no one else seems to have anything online from what I've seen so far so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Thanks for any information!

update...the fix post #6
Originally Posted by firebug18
Hey All, So I finally had a chance to look at the headlight and bottom line it was a simple grounding issue. A.K.A. the low beam was shorting out and causing a ground short that then caused the piggy backed high beam to not work also (figured this out after about an hour of tracing wires and checking grounds). I changed the bulb and so far so good. If it keeps acting up I will let y'all know. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by dirtydog; 05-10-2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: added the fix because people dont know how to read threads entirely
Old 07-07-2011, 08:39 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you taken the headlamp out to examine the wiring harness? The high/low beams are daisy-chained on the harness (or connected together in some fashion) so I could see how they might both be affected if something wasn't plugged together tightly or there was some other issue (water in the connection, damaged wire).

Rob

Old 07-07-2011, 12:14 PM
WNDERR
Veteran

sounds like a ground not working correnctly - unplug any connections you can see, clean, paint a little dielectric grease on there, and put 'em back together

Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 PM
firebug18

Excellent suggestions.. I had a feeling it has to do with the wiring harness but didnt know where to start. Ill look at it tonight and hopefully thats the problem and its a simple fix. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I am thinking a ground issue too. Let us know what ya find out.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:53 PM
firebug18

Hey All, So I finally had a chance to look at the headlight and bottom line it was a simple grounding issue. A.K.A. the low beam was shorting out and causing a ground short that then caused the piggy backed high beam to not work also (figured this out after about an hour of tracing wires and checking grounds). I changed the bulb and so far so good. If it keeps acting up I will let y'all know. Thanks for the advice!

Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 PM
jacruz2
Rookie

@Firebug I'm having the same issue and I would appreciate any info on how you were able to fix this problem seeing how I'm having the exact same issue.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:20 AM
jacruz2
Rookie

Does anyone know if firebug still has a ram? He hasn't logged on for a few months and I'm having this exact same issue and I was wondering what he did to resolve it.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:27 AM
MattsMountain
Professional

I just started having the same issue this week. I'm going to go get another bulb to have on stand-by, but sounds like I need to pull it all apart and see what the deal is. Hopefully a quick fix, but I'll report back on what I can figure out as well.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:37 AM
jacruz2
Rookie

@ Matts I think if you have the quad headlight setup and both the low and the high beams are out I think you have more than a bulb issue. Reason being on the quad headlights the low and high are on two separate bulbs. But if you are able to fix the issue I'm all ears.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Headlight malfunction