4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2012 Ram SXT Trailer Brake option?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012 | 08:09 AM
cdnmedic
|
Default 2012 Ram SXT Trailer Brake option?

I'm looking at a new SXT Quad cab.
One of the packages I want is the brake controller. Not only just for the brake controller, but it also says this on my print out:
Trailer brake control group ($325)
Instrument cluster with display screen (Included)
Tire pressure monitoring display (Included)
Vehicle Information Centre (Included)

The one I test drove didn't have the option installed, and since its the SXT it was just the basic gauge cluster, and said that the trailer brake control group is nothing more than the trailer brake control. But, According to my sheet right from the Dodge website and right from the dealership's computer, that it included the upgraded instrument cluster with the EVIC, so the truck I test drove wouldn't have the whole upgrade.

Am I right or is the dealer?

They did find a truck that is exactly everything I was looking at option and colour wise without a single extra thing that I don't want.
It's at a different dealer, but I'm ready to get everything worked out today and pick up my new truck by the end of the week. I'm just curious!

Dealer offered me $2500 on my trade, a 2004 Colorado 4x4 3.5L 5 speed with the off road package, locking rear end, 4" suspension lift, 3" body lift, 18" alloys with new 33" duratracs and month old 16" aluminums with good winter tires. Sort of felt insulted by that! So I'll just be selling that privately.

Old 02-07-2012 | 12:33 PM
kpevin
Veteran

The trailer brake controler is displayed on the EVIC so yes the upgraded cluster with EVIC is part of the package. Dealer wants to sell you the truck without one most likely.

Seems a little low on the trade as well.

I would call the dealer that has the truck you want if they are fairly close and maybe they can do better on the trade and price, I drove 250 miles to get this 2012. Saved about 3500.00 so it was worth the drive.

Old 02-07-2012 | 12:41 PM
oldjeep
Champion

I'm assuming that the dealers problem on the trade is what you did to the truck. Put it back to stock and I'll bet the offer goes up. 3" body lift is a huge red flag

Old 02-07-2012 | 12:56 PM
ram1500rem
Amateur

Trailer Break Assistance comes with : Break controler, EVIC, Tire pressure monitor in the EVIC and Cruise Control. Less than that, there trying to Rob you.

Old 02-07-2012 | 04:05 PM
cdnmedic
|

Dealer called me, the truck with the brake controller from factory was inventory of another dealer, of course it sold.

He found another truck with all the same options, aside from the brake control option, he said he would still put it in for me, I keep telling him that it also involves the upgraded dash with the EVIC.
Told him to leave it out, I'm not paying for just a part of the option... Someday I will use it, like pulling our 28' cruiser boat, but for most of my towing it isn't needed, the real reason I wanted it was for the EVIC and dash upgrade.
Hopefully I still get cruise control as it said it was part of that group...

Old 10-29-2012 | 03:36 PM
PostalTwo
Professional

i have a 2012 sxt without evic and trailer brake controll and i have cruze control

Old 11-02-2012 | 02:11 PM
Tusakha
Amateur

I wanted to add the factory integrated brake controller in my 2010 after I purchased it new but was told it would have had to been installed at the time of manufacture and not after.

I ended up getting a seperate brake controller and the wiring harness. It was a really easy install as there was a plug for the aftermarket controller located up under the pedals that it just plugged in to.

So if you want the factory one, you are going to have to find a truck with it already installed.

Old 11-08-2012 | 11:38 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Tusakha
I wanted to add the factory integrated brake controller in my 2010 after I purchased it new but was told it would have had to been installed at the time of manufacture and not after.

I ended up getting a seperate brake controller and the wiring harness. It was a really easy install as there was a plug for the aftermarket controller located up under the pedals that it just plugged in to.

So if you want the factory one, you are going to have to find a truck with it already installed.

Tusakha,

Mopar does have aftermarket brake controller kits available, unfortunately it is only for the 2011/2012 Rams. For the 2010 Ram, you are correct, and it would have to be installed from the factory.

Quick Reply: 2012 Ram SXT Trailer Brake option?