4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Hemi Tick vs Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 01:14 PM
Porkchop69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In response to your comment on how the selling dealer would have explained the Lifetime Warranty to me when I bought the truck, If you have access to my survey that I wrote to Dodge and the dealer when I purchased this truck you will find out how badly they treated me when I picked it up at the dealership. This was how the truck was delivered to me: Hi Roger! Here are your keys and your new truck is parked right over there under the canopy. We hope you enjoy your new vehicle. They didn't tell me where my lock key was for my wheel locks, where my jack was, how to operate any and all of the many options the truck had such as GPS, DVD PLAYER, UCONNECT, ETC...... SO I GOT NO INFO ABOUT MY TRUCK AT ALL EXCEPT THAT MY PAYMENTS WERE GOING TO BE $500.00 PER MONTH.....The dealer called after my survey went to DODGE and asked me what they could do to right the wrong. Now, tell me what I was told to do about my Lifetime Warranty by this non caring dealership...Dodge owes me, and I feel they should make it right-----FAIR IS FAIR. I just paid my local dealership $1260.00, including taxes, for replacing 4 bolts, two on each side. You people know this is a problem, you should have a major recall for repairs.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:25 PM
dakota98038

I just had mine done the other day, I bought my truck used with an extended warranty. They just didn't cover the hardware which was $68. I have a 2010 with the 5.7

Old 07-14-2017, 11:09 AM
Volkov

Just bought my 3rd SRW 3500/6.4. Had a '14 and '16 previously. New one is '17. the 14 and 16 never ticked at all and ran great. The '17 started ticking at 100 miles and is inconsistent, but a definite metallic lifter tick. The tick will come and go and is sometimes louder than others, hot or cold, did not matter. This is the Hemi tick. Chrysler believes it is being caused by oil aeration in the MDS lifters. Some do it, some don't. There is no permanent fix at this time. The exhaust leak that 5.7's are notorious for is a different problem that some folks mistake for the MDS lifter aka "Hemi tick". Some get so bad, the lifter roller starts hammering the cam lobe, others run for a long time, but will eventually fail. It is a design flaw.

Last edited by Volkov; 07-14-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Volkov

Well, after 400 miles of lifter ticking and the dealership and RAM customer care being equally worthless, I traded for a 2017 F250. After 30 years of loyalty, I can no longer recommend or support Chryslers brand. Good luck.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:28 PM
thegunnsterr
Default 2nd owner Exhaust tick

New to this forum, but have had my 2009 5.7 Hemi for 4 years now(2nd owner). I "had" this tick for a few months(80k miles lol), and finally decided to get it looked at by a local dealer. I even handed them the copy of the Dodge TSB specifying the problem, and how to fix. They stated that not only did both #7 & 8 cylinders have bolt heads broken, the LH back cylinders were also already weakening. Long story short, I wanted this fixed so they worked it, even though they said they would not cover the work. Please, if anyone knows who to talk with concerning Dodge covering this(even if they just reimburse 1/2 the cost), can you respond to this post!!! Would also be nice for DODGECARES to chime in.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:21 PM
Blackbeerd
Exclamation Nhtsa

Hey guys (and gals?), I'm new to this forum and have this same issue; out of warranty in years but still under 100K, SOL for me. I did just file a complaint at NHTSA and to my surprise I did not find any other similar complaint.

Please, if everyone could file their complaint we might get this resolved, some might even get refunded for repairs? Either way it is worth a shot?
I'm handy with tools and will probably tackle this myself (depending on what Dodge will charge me) but if this can be warranted or recalled I'd rather do that

Spread the word!

​​​​​​​~Blackbeerd

Old 06-25-2018, 03:54 PM
Mick Doran
Default How to possibly get FCA to cover Exhaust Manifold Bolt issue.

On my 5th repair. 3 covered under powertrain warranty. FCA considers a bolt an "Incidental Part" only covered by 3yr/36k mile warranty. So if the bolt(s) fail and causes the manifold to warp (real problem) after your power train warranty is up they will only cover it if you can get the sevice manager to tell the FCA case worker that the "Manifold Warped" and not the bolts failed. Pretty crappy of FCA not to acknowledge the obvious issue and provide a real fix instead of passing the cost on to us. Going to try aftermaket solution next time if I can find one.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Some shorty headers and good quality fasteners will permanently solve the problem.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:11 PM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add me to the list. 2009 ram w/ 92k miles. Was under the truck to confirm I also have a bad cam / lifter and saw some slack in the back 2 bolts on the passenger side. Had the wife start it up and yes, heard a slight ticking sound. This totally sucks.....I guess Chrysler just doesn't care that some, like me, will never buy another one......
Mike Sal

Old 07-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read an interesting post on a fb site from a guy who cuts the exhaust header pipes and adds a piece of flex pipe to take some of the stress off of the back two screws (we all use the word "bolt" but since no nut us used in this application, "screw" is the correct term). I agree with this thinking....As the exhaust system thermal cycles, there's got to be some stress transferred to to those screws, as proven by so many repeat problems some trucks are having.
Mike S

Quick Reply: Hemi Tick vs Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt