4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 03:14 PM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
at this point i see it more on 4th gens...

the pattern failures are different from 3rd to 4th gens.....when a 3rd gen breaks more often then not the break is above the head surface...on 4th gens they break flush with the head. this points to a different root cause of the failure.
What seems to be the average mileage when the break happens?

I've always been a Dodge person. Richard Petty was my idol in the 70's while driving a Charger. I was eighteen driving a Challenger I bought and paid for myself as a commercial fisherman. The Challenger was totaled while parked on the street in front of a local bar as I stood on the sidewalk. I did a brief stint in a 1970 AMX racing 1/4 mile. Got rid of the AMX when I went into the Navy and bought my first Dodge pickup truck in May of 1975. Had a Dodge pickup truck ever since. Dodge is pushing me away from buying another. My 1997 Dodge 1500 5.9L 360 Magnum had plenum problems and a list of other problems which I had to pay for, but, I stayed with Dodge and bought the 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie with the Hemi loaded. WooHoo, a Hemi, always wanted one in my Challenger as a pipe dream. Fortunately, no plenum problems. Unfortunately, I'm on my second set of manifold bolts and these are breaking too. And now, PrimeM says the problem still exists and Dodge Cares has gone into hiding and won't answer any questions.

Dodge Cares, are the manifold bolts still breaking on the newer Dodge Hemi engines? Inquiring minds want to know. I need a new truck. Please respond.

Last edited by Crabman; 12-03-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:42 AM
outlawstorm
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is Dodge Cares ever going to reply to the question about the bolts breaking?? Looks like they hope people will forget about this thread,,, well I wont as I have replaced mine 2 times, both at my cost

Old 12-09-2017, 12:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,302 Likes on 3,047 Posts

Originally Posted by outlawstorm
Is Dodge Cares ever going to reply to the question about the bolts breaking?? Looks like they hope people will forget about this thread,,, well I wont as I have replaced mine 2 times, both at my cost
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:18 PM
Johnny Almeida
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, i don't understand why owners just 1. move on to another vehicle or 2. take the hit, fix it as needed and move on...Sheesh ..... I mean, all vehicles have known and unknown issues, why would i expect a dealer/manufacturer/company to accommodate me as if the world revolved around me or something. I still have my second Gen Dodge.The plenum was an easy fix, the crappy gas mileage was not but it is a very reliable truck. I was needing a newer daily driver and was considering upgrading to a fourth Gen but needed better gas mileage so i got a BMW.... yeah, a freaking BMW, a total 180 degree turn-a-round from the reliability of my second Gen.... as some of these vehicles can be royal PITA... but i did my research and pulled the trigger. As an experienced wrencher i am not worried about known/unknown issues.... otherwise i would have gone with a good extended or lifetime warranty

Old 12-09-2017, 11:33 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

i still looking for the unbreakeable car...i have one that is pretty close.

Last edited by primem; 12-10-2017 at 10:01 AM. Reason: brake to break
The following users liked this post:
mchulicksr (10-23-2023)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down Take your own advice and move on

Originally Posted by Johnny Almeida
wow, i don't understand why owners just 1. move on to another vehicle or 2. take the hit, fix it as needed and move on...Sheesh ..... I mean, all vehicles have known and unknown issues, why would i expect a dealer/manufacturer/company to accommodate me as if the world revolved around me or something. I still have my second Gen Dodge.The plenum was an easy fix, the crappy gas mileage was not but it is a very reliable truck. I was needing a newer daily driver and was considering upgrading to a fourth Gen but needed better gas mileage so i got a BMW.... yeah, a freaking BMW, a total 180 degree turn-a-round from the reliability of my second Gen.... as some of these vehicles can be royal PITA... but i did my research and pulled the trigger. As an experienced wrencher i am not worried about known/unknown issues.... otherwise i would have gone with a good extended or lifetime warranty
You don't own or have ever owned a 4th gen Ram. Your opinion doesn't add anything to this conversation. For your first post you sure are not contributing one bit. Just go away

Old 12-12-2017, 12:26 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
You don't own or have ever owned a 4th gen Ram. Your opinion doesn't add anything to this conversation. For your first post you sure are not contributing one bit. Just go away
I own two forth gens and never had the manifold bolts break for the first 40,000 miles. Then I put on headers my 2010 PW has 92,154 miles and no broken bolts yet. Didn't even know this was a problem until today just browsing this section lol

Old 12-12-2017, 12:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I own two forth gens and never had the manifold bolts break for the first 40,000 miles. Then I put on headers my 2010 PW has 92,154 miles and no broken bolts yet. Didn't even know this was a problem until today just browsing this section lol
I am real curious if simply switching to shortie headers (easiest install) isn't the real solution here..... changes the temperature dynamics of the manifolds significantly, maybe circumventing the problem?

Old 12-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dodge Cares is really gone underground on this topic. I guess, from her silence, the Dodge Ram still has the same problem with the current 2018 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi engine and you can expect the bolts to break at some point usually after 60,000 miles. Interestingly, Dodge does not offer a lifetime warranty anymore. Now it's 5/60,000 and yes I know many of the competitors offer the same warranty. Unfortunately, with the 5.7 Hemi, once you reach 60,000 and beyond, your manifold bolts will begin breaking. In my case, I'm on my third set and Dodge could Care less.

Think twice before buying your new 2018 Dodge Ram Truck with a 5.7 Hemi. From Dodge Cares silence, your manifold bolts will break and you will have to pay for them to be fixed each time after 60,000 miles.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I suspect that the person using the ID "Dodge cares" is actually an employee, and is quite likely flat out forbidden to comment on these kinds of issues...... Granted, it would be nice if we could get some word from Dodge on this, but, I am not going to hold my breath. Look at the T-36 recall fiasco...... FCA (the folks that now own dodge) are living up to their reputation of not giving a flying fark about their customers, once they have their money. Not to mention the quality issues Fiat suffered from, that prompted them to leave the american market altogether for many years.... No one wants to buy their crap. They haven't changed at all it seems.

Quick Reply: Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?