4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 09:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,360 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Still complaining.....
I get paid extra for that ya know.

Old 01-10-2023, 10:00 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My exhaust manifold studs have broken FOUR times on my 09 Ram 1500 HEMI. They fail every 40,000 miles. Mopar may have used better studs on the last repair. These have 70,000 miles on them, no failure. I have 215,000 on my truck now and was stunned to learn that the studs on the G5 HEMIs are not breaking, but the manifolds are cracking. As the original owner of an 09 model, I have lifetime powertrain warranty. I don't think that I would buy a HEMI engine RAM with these nagging, yet expensive problems that continue to go on without correction.

Old 10-09-2023, 04:48 AM
DangoDurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Almeida
wow, i don't understand why owners just 1. move on to another vehicle or 2. take the hit, fix it as needed and move on...Sheesh ..... I mean, all vehicles have known and unknown issues, why would i expect a dealer/manufacturer/company to accommodate me as if the world revolved around me or something. I still have my second Gen Dodge.The plenum was an easy fix, the crappy gas mileage was not but it is a very reliable truck. I was needing a newer daily driver and was considering upgrading to a fourth Gen but needed better gas mileage so i got a BMW.... yeah, a freaking BMW, a total 180 degree turn-a-round from the reliability of my second Gen.... as some of these vehicles can be royal PITA... but i did my research and pulled the trigger. As an experienced wrencher i am not worried about known/unknown issues.... otherwise i would have gone with a good extended or lifetime warranty

I somewhat agree with your sentiment. I have a 2012 5.7 Durango. About to hit the 200k mark. The most serious known issue of these motors is the hemi tick lifters on MDS engines. Which other manufacturers also suffer from. Broken exhaust manifold bolts are not catastrophic. A pain in the *** yea, but nowhere near the issues Ford and Chevy are having, especially Ford. The genius engineers over there decided it was a good idea to internalize their water pump in a way that it can, and most often does, leak directly into the oil. Before you think about switching, put things into perspective.

Old 10-09-2023, 08:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by DangoDurango
I somewhat agree with your sentiment. I have a 2012 5.7 Durango. About to hit the 200k mark. The most serious known issue of these motors is the hemi tick lifters on MDS engines. Which other manufacturers also suffer from. Broken exhaust manifold bolts are not catastrophic. A pain in the *** yea, but nowhere near the issues Ford and Chevy are having, especially Ford. The genius engineers over there decided it was a good idea to internalize their water pump in a way that it can, and most often does, leak directly into the oil. Before you think about switching, put things into perspective.
Only on certain engines and only certain years. They did correct the issue.

Old 04-13-2024, 09:36 AM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone actually have shorty headers and what do you think about them?

Old 05-20-2024, 01:23 PM
outlawstorm
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I need to go get a lottery ticket LOL I bought a 2009 Ram off my uncle. I asked if there ever was any manifold bolts broken before,, he said he never changed 1 and he bought it brand new. Well i was kinda worried so I ordered a set of shorty headers for it, as being i was removing the fenders to repair the rust on the bottom , i thought no better time. Well i am lost for words, Not 1 bolt broken, other than the tiny ones that hold the heat shields on,,, I just cant believe it,, 255,000kms on truck and all like new. I have heard alot of the problems on the manifolds happen because of the people tow heavy and the manifolds get hot ,,, I know my uncle never towed a trailer in his life with it. kinda weird as I have changed my 09 2 times,,, last time i put headers on it and its been good for 30,000 kms . I do know this 09 is a very early 09 as it was built in Sept 08

The following users liked this post:
AZdave (08-08-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 02:54 PM
outlawstorm
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone tried these yet https://ca.bddiesel.com/products/exh...40716839354422
They seem like a much better setup and they give 3 year 70,000 mile warranty

Quick Reply: Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?