4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 04:14 PM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dodge doesn't care. It's just like all those Hemi's that have dropped valve seats. Dodge doesn't care. Replace the bolts before the break with ARP bolts.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:45 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

one of my fca instructors, while at a training seminar, spoke to an engineer about the failure...told him what another company had done to fix this issue...engineer looked at him like he was retarded.
I do not see a fix coming anytime soon. for warranty repairs, fca only pays to replace the broken bolts..the unbroken used bolts are re-installed.
dodgecares can only do what fca allows them to do.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After Studebaker trucks left me, then Jeep trucks, I went to dodge....a 1995 model being the first. I enjoyed the styling of these trucks, but hated the fact that no "good" fix was ever brought to combat 2 major issues with Gen 2 trucks.....plenum gasket failure and automatic transmission failure. My 1999 Dodge truck suffered the same failures. I might add that I do not abuse vehicles and seldom haul anything heavier than a 16ft car hauler with a Studebaker on it. I skipped a generation thinking maybe the transmissions would be better.....Within 6 weeks of owning my 2009 (89k most of which as a shop truck for local dodge dealer), I had both broken exhaust screws and a bad lifter / cam. The evidence shows Dodge has no interest in dealing with either issue other than the ones they can't avoid due to warranty commitments.

The message Dodge Care can take back to the home office is that this is my last Dodge (or Ram, if it makes you happy). For better or worse, another brand will get some of my money.
Mike Sal

Old 02-11-2019, 01:51 AM
CHILLYPOND
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Sal
After Studebaker trucks left me, then Jeep trucks, I went to dodge....a 1995 model being the first. I enjoyed the styling of these trucks, but hated the fact that no "good" fix was ever brought to combat 2 major issues with Gen 2 trucks.....plenum gasket failure and automatic transmission failure. My 1999 Dodge truck suffered the same failures. I might add that I do not abuse vehicles and seldom haul anything heavier than a 16ft car hauler with a Studebaker on it. I skipped a generation thinking maybe the transmissions would be better.....Within 6 weeks of owning my 2009 (89k most of which as a shop truck for local dodge dealer), I had both broken exhaust screws and a bad lifter / cam. The evidence shows Dodge has no interest in dealing with either issue other than the ones they can't avoid due to warranty commitments.

The message Dodge Care can take back to the home office is that this is my last Dodge (or Ram, if it makes you happy). For better or worse, another brand will get some of my money.
Mike Sal
Feel your pain. Did the plenum routine twice on my 99 2500. No tranny issues, though, cuz I ordered it with a stick. Had a mid 90s "Cloud" car with a 2.0l four banger. Known issue with the OE head gaskets and when it failed just out of warranty, Daimler-Chrysler response was,"too bad, so sad." 07 Grand Caravan, rear compartment AC evaporator fail just out of warranty. Another known issue. Discover after the repair that hush-hush memo circulating that would reimburse owners out of warranty. Again,"too bad, sucks to be me." Three times, I've done the exhaust manifold bolts on my 09 Dodge 1500. The bolts for cylinder 7 are broken again and have been that way for over a year. No exhaust leak so not too worried about it.

Sad reality: There's no pot of gold when you switch brands. FCA is probably no better (or worse) than other manufacturers when it comes to the abhorrent way in which they deal with individual customer's broken products. They're all the same and customer loyalty means absolutely nothing.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:00 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by CHILLYPOND
Feel your pain. Did the plenum routine twice on my 99 2500. No tranny issues, though, cuz I ordered it with a stick. Had a mid 90s "Cloud" car with a 2.0l four banger. Known issue with the OE head gaskets and when it failed just out of warranty, Daimler-Chrysler response was,"too bad, so sad." 07 Grand Caravan, rear compartment AC evaporator fail just out of warranty. Another known issue. Discover after the repair that hush-hush memo circulating that would reimburse owners out of warranty. Again,"too bad, sucks to be me." Three times, I've done the exhaust manifold bolts on my 09 Dodge 1500. The bolts for cylinder 7 are broken again and have been that way for over a year. No exhaust leak so not too worried about it.

Sad reality: There's no pot of gold when you switch brands. FCA is probably no better (or worse) than other manufacturers when it comes to the abhorrent way in which they deal with individual customer's broken products. They're all the same and customer loyalty means absolutely nothing.
No one values customer loyalty. That's why I stick with the older vehicles or I buy 3rd party insurance to cover the cost of repairs

Old 02-12-2019, 07:50 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I was going to go through the problem of having the Exhaust Manifold Bolt's replace I would first replace them with ARP bolts and not the factory bolts and I would also consider changing the Exhaust Manifolds to a pair of shorty ceramic coated headers. Just my opinion.

https://www.jegs.com/i/BBK-Performan...869+4294828868

Old 03-13-2019, 08:26 PM
Jason Porter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012

Just had manifold bolts replaced a few months ago, the heads had to be removed in order to extract bolts cost me $1800 less than 3,000 miles later more broken bolts. GARBAGE!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2019, 08:35 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

and that's why you don't drill to extract them. takes 5x longer with potential of damaging the head.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:39 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
and that's why you don't drill to extract them. takes 5x longer with potential of damaging the head.
Some people never learn.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:50 AM
Joseph Iob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
Here is the TSB done on my 2009 and the bolts still broke on both sides

TSB 11-002-11

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system,
or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of Chrysler Group LLC.
THIS SERVICE BULLETIN IS ALSO BEING RELEASED AS RAPID RESPONSE
TRANSMITTAL 11-017. ALL APPLICABLE SOLD AND UN-SOLD VIN's HAVE BEEN
LOADED. TO VERIFY THAT THIS SERVICE ACTION IS APPLICABLE TO THE
VEHICLE, USE VIP OR PERFORM A VIN SEARCH IN TECHCONNECT. ALL REPAIRS
ARE REIMBURSABLE WITHIN THE PROVISIONS OF WARRANTY.
SUBJECT:
Engine Ticking Sound In Cold Temperatures
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replace the exhaust manifold bolts for cylinders 7 and 8 with new
stainless steel higher strength bolts.
MODELS:
2009 (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (Sales code EZD
or EZH) built before August 14, 2009 (MDH 0814XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some Customers may notice a ticking sound heard at start-up in cold ambient
temperatures. This sound could be less noticeable as the engine warms to normal
operating temperature. This condition may be caused by broken or loose exhaust manifold
bolts for cylinders 7 and 8.
DIAGNOSIS:
If customers complain of the symptom/condition, perform the following repair procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
4 06509544AA Stud, Exhaust Manifold (7 & 8 cylinders)
AR (9) 06507746AA Bolt, Exhaust Manifold (only necessary if
exhaust manifolds are removed)
AR (1) 53032965AF Gasket, Left Exhaust Manifold (only
necessary if exhaust manifolds are removed)
AR (1) 53032966AF Gasket, Right Exhaust Manifold (only
necessary if exhaust manifolds are removed)
NUMBER: 11-002-11
GROUP: Exhaust System
DATE: February 17, 2011REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Raise vehicle on a hoist.
2. Remove the exhaust manifold heat shields from both sides.
NOTE: The exhaust manifold bolts may be broken. If possible use vise grips to
attempt removal without removing the exhaust manifold.
3. Remove exhaust manifold bolts on cylinder 7.
4. Can bolts be removed without removing exhaust manifold?
a. Yes >>> Replace exhaust manifold bolts (2 only) torque to 25 Nm (18 Ft. Lbs.),
install heat shield, torque to 8 Nm (70 In. Lbs.) and proceed to Step #5
b. No >>> Remove exhaust manifold remove and replace all bolts, replace exhaust
manifold gasket. Follow the detailed service procedures available in
DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT, Refer To Group 9 - Engine > Manifolds >
Manifold, Exhaust, Installation procedures. Proceed to Step #5
5. Remove exhaust manifold bolts on cylinder 8.
6. Can bolts be removed without removing exhaust manifold?
a. Yes >>> Replace exhaust manifold bolts (2 only) torque to 25 Nm (18 Ft. Lbs.),
install heat shield, torque to 8 Nm (70 In. Lbs.).
b. No >>> Remove exhaust manifold remove and replace all bolts, replace exhaust
manifold gasket. Follow the detailed service procedures available in
DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT, Refer To Group 9 - Engine > Manifolds >
Manifold, Exhaust, Installation procedures.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation
No:
Description Amount
09-45-01-94 Exhaust Manifold Bolts Cylinder 7 and 8 Replace
(B)
1.3 Hrs.
09-45-01-97 Exhaust Manifold Bolts Cylinder 7 Replace /
Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolts Cylinder 8 (B)
1.9 Hrs.
09-45-01-98 Exhaust Manifold Bolts Cylinder 8 Replace /
Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolts Cylinder 7 (B)
1.9 Hrs.
09-45-01-99 Exhaust Manifold Bolts Broken Exhaust Manifold
Bolts Cylinder 7 and 8 (B)
2.4 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
ZZ Service Action
11-002-11 -2-
You could just run a cooler thermostat.

Quick Reply: Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?