4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 07:30 AM
uh cougar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uh cougar

Originally Posted by uh cougar
Just got my 2016 RAM out of dealer shop for replacing the exhaust manifold bolts on the passenger side. It has 67000 miles on it. The technician asked if I wanted the ones on the driver side replaced also, although they are not broken. He said it was just a matter of time before they break also. My son has a 2017 RAM Laramie, so i have told him to expect the same thing to happen to him.
What happens if you don't repair/replace the broken bolts and the clicking/ticking noise persists? Will the engine eventually get damaged?

Old 01-02-2020, 01:13 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the air leak will cause a false lean reading at the 02 sensors and the vehicle will richen the fuel trim slightly. if could also effect to a small degree the scavenging effect of air flow thru the cylinder. I haven't seen any long term damage myself. I speculate richer feul mixtures than ideal will make the cat run hotter.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,302 Likes on 3,047 Posts

The leak will also tend to erode the head/manifold where it is leaking out, such that the leak progressively gets worse. The more you drive, the faster it happens.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:00 AM
Samuel Hogge

They just broke on the passenger side of my 2017 Bighorn, i'm wondering should I go ahead and replace the ones on the drivers side myself.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:57 PM
uh cougar
Default uh cougar

Originally Posted by Samuel Hogge
They just broke on the passenger side of my 2017 Bighorn, i'm wondering should I go ahead and replace the ones on the drivers side myself.
You should wait until the other ones break; if you are lucky maybe they will be ok.
FYI-I spent about 1 1/2 hours on the phone with FCA Customer Service trying to convince them to reimburse me the $684 I paid to the Dodge Dealer to replace my broken bolts. They said that they could not reimburse me until FCA has a recall on them. Right now they say there are not enough cases out there to produce a recall. I advised them to read this forum and count the cases. I have since emailed and sent a hand written letter to their corporate office also. I am still waiting on a reply.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:53 PM
Resiliance Wake

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Alright, so they are already trying better fasteners...... and: built thru aug 09..... so, what changed with the later models, that solved the issue? Or, was it actually solved?
My stock bolts lasted to almost 140,000 miles, they have a lifespan.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:27 PM
uh cougar

FCA has not answered my letters. It has been about 5 months and still no replies.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,302 Likes on 3,047 Posts

Originally Posted by Resiliance Wake
My stock bolts lasted to almost 140,000 miles, they have a lifespan.
Only on Dodge trucks. Everyone else I am aware of doesn't have the issue of them breaking. Ever. (except may when you are TRYING to take them out......)

Old 05-16-2020, 08:25 PM
Daof4
Default Manifold bolts breaking

Hi all
New to Dodge and this group
Came looking for information about breaking manifold bolts and reading various comments as to why as a couple of mine have broken
I worked on John Deere equipment and they had problems with manifold bolts breaking on one of there engines,
The answer to it was (and it worked) They removed the bolts and installed longer ones, (about 19mm) and used a thick walled spacer between head of bolt and manifold, saying it would allow for better expansion and contraction
Hopefully getting mine replaced under warranty but after that i'm seriously thinking of trying this as its looking like a common repetitive problem

Old 05-18-2020, 12:16 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Only on Dodge trucks. Everyone else I am aware of doesn't have the issue of them breaking. Ever. (except may when you are TRYING to take them out......)
That's nice, I have 170K miles on my 09 and have replaced mine FOUR times. About every 35K miles, two or three break. It's been on both sides. I thought this was just an 09 problem and was fixed by hanging the exhaust pipes with more flexibility to engine torque. I have life time warranty and have never paid for this issue. I can't imagine having this well known problem and having to pay for it out of pocket.

Quick Reply: Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?