4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 06:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,302 Likes on 3,047 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Iob
You could just run a cooler thermostat.
Won't help. The exhaust is still going to be the same temp.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:06 PM
Brandon Edwards
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 same problem.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Alright, so they are already trying better fasteners...... and: built thru aug 09..... so, what changed with the later models, that solved the issue? Or, was it actually solved?
I have a 2017 ram 1500, @ 90k miles I started noticing a loud ticking. Dealership said I had 2 exhaust manifold bolts broken on both sides. The problem has definitely not been dealt with by dodge.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:29 PM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My personal opinion is the rest of the exhaust system, when it heats up & expands, puts additional stress on those last 2 bolts on each side.

When you have the manifolds off to fix those broken bolts, be sure to take them to a belt sander to make sure they are flat. After the bolts break, the manifold will warp a little (there are some folks who think the warping is the cause of the broken bolts, but I don't subscribe to that theory).
Mike S

Old 09-11-2019, 02:13 AM
Aaron Curti

I bought a brand new 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi and at 70,000 getting the "Hemi tick" and after researching assured the issue is the exhaust manifold bolts. Would have never bought a Ram Hemi had known this was the problem (for years and nothing fixed). I'll be calling dealership and already prepared to likely put in ceramic BBK shorty headers at my own expense. As I don't want to make multiple trips back to get these crappy bolts replaced and put the stock manifold back on.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:49 PM
Marcus Turner

2009 here... first set broke around 80,000 miles. Mine broke off just below the surface of the head so there is nothing to grab onto. I tried welding a nut to them but couldn't get it to stick (maybe due to the poor angle I was having difficulty holding the nut with pliers and filling it with weld). Was unable to drill it at all while mounted in the vehicle. Took to mechanic and they spent an entire day and set of drill bits and made no progress either. My next step is to remove the heads myself and have them machined out. Mechanic got one of them because it had a little nub still sticking out of head...but the other he said just leave it, put the new gasket back on and the leak went away...for awhile...Been leaking for a long time now. I'm at 150,000 miles and the driver side has a leak now too.

Last edited by Marcus Turner; 09-12-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:24 PM
mike370773

I have a 2015 2500 with the 5.7 HEMI and at around 68k miles the passenger side bolts broke on #'s 7 & 8 cylinders.
Now... at just barely over 100k miles, the drivers side is now making the same noise....

Called the dealer and explained that I just noticed the problem this morning. I have remote start and always start the truck to let it warm up before leaving for work.
Well, this particular time I started it while I was outside and in close proximity of the truck. The tapping was very apparent at that point.

Hopefully Dodge will still cover this repair since I'm a hair over 100k and just am now noticing the problem....

Hopefully it doesn't happen again or else I may just have to begin looking at other truck options.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,302 Likes on 3,047 Posts

Originally Posted by mike370773
I have a 2015 2500 with the 5.7 HEMI and at around 68k miles the passenger side bolts broke on #'s 7 & 8 cylinders.
Now... at just barely over 100k miles, the drivers side is now making the same noise....

Called the dealer and explained that I just noticed the problem this morning. I have remote start and always start the truck to let it warm up before leaving for work.
Well, this particular time I started it while I was outside and in close proximity of the truck. The tapping was very apparent at that point.

Hopefully Dodge will still cover this repair since I'm a hair over 100k and just am now noticing the problem....

Hopefully it doesn't happen again or else I may just have to begin looking at other truck options.
Replacing the stock manifolds with shorty headers solves the issue, and is a LOT cheaper.....

The following users liked this post:
blue70ss (02-24-2020)
Old 12-28-2019, 07:34 PM
Timski

Originally Posted by Crabman
If Dodge really Cares, where are they. Why isn't Dodge taking ownership of their design flaw? Instead Dodge Cares about keeping this quiet. In order to discuss the problem, Dodge wants it done in Private Message. Why??? WE ALL KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE MANIFOLD BOLTS, WHY ISN'T DODGE DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT???? Again, this is no different than how Dodge screwed us with the 360 5.9L with intake plenum problems.

Dodge Cares, has the problem been fixed in the newer trucks or is the problem still happening? IF I WERE TO BUY A 2018 DODGE RAM, WILL THE MANIFOLD BOLTS BREAK OR HAS THERE BEEN A FIX? I'm thinking about buying a new truck but if Dodge is still having the problem, it may be time to move on. My first of seven Dodge vehicles was a brand new 1970 Dodge Challenger. This 2010 Dodge Ram Laramie with the broken manifold bolts Hemi engine, may be my last.

Does Dodge Care? No, they would just like me to stop talking about it. Truthfully, this forum is only a drop in the bucket of Dodge customers. They will try to quiet up any negative publicity but for the most part, Dodge just doesn't Care.
i have a 2017 1500 ram with 54000 miles and I’m heading in to get manifold bolts fixed.
Had the same problem with my 2010 ram. Replace them 3 times before trading it off at 105000 miles.
I was hoping they had fixed the problem on the newer models but I was wrong.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:47 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

if this is a warranty repair...fca will pay to replace the broken bolts and will reuse the old unbroken ones. I suggest you pay for the cost of new bolts.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:15 AM
uh cougar

Originally Posted by primem
if this is a warranty repair...fca will pay to replace the broken bolts and will reuse the old unbroken ones. I suggest you pay for the cost of new bolts.
Just got my 2016 RAM out of dealer shop for replacing the exhaust manifold bolts on the passenger side. It has 67000 miles on it. The technician asked if I wanted the ones on the driver side replaced also, although they are not broken. He said it was just a matter of time before they break also. My son has a 2017 RAM Laramie, so i have told him to expect the same thing to happen to him.

Quick Reply: Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?