4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 01:09 PM
tigo2018
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
This is a great info Daof4 knowing that alot of heat is a part of the problem here,I'd say let's experiment differents solutions because we are almost left alone with this.
I did the passenger side a few months ago,I installed springs between the BBK and the exhaust,it might help the rear bolts on those rear cylinders to support torsion,also,this is a big and heavy exhaust line.
Will change the driver side soon and do the same but before I'd like to check on temperatures with a infra tool before the cats just to see if I'm able to notice a difference,it will not be while in charge on the engine but at different RPM,just experimenting for fun .

Old 08-04-2020, 04:53 AM
13Durango
Default Exhaust Manifold leak

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
As I mentioned, the back cylinders run extra hot on the hemi. The other manufacturers probably do a better job at cooling the back cylinders. The bolts mostly snap at the head leaving a stub to grab when the manifold is removed.
Any idea if a broken exhaust manifold or its bolts may affect the performance of the Hemi, Sir, please?

Old 08-04-2020, 06:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,302 Likes on 3,047 Posts

Originally Posted by 13Durango
Any idea if a broken exhaust manifold or its bolts may affect the performance of the Hemi, Sir, please?
If you have a leak, yeah, that can have an effect.

The following users liked this post:
13 Citadel (12-06-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 06:55 AM
Netsurfer S

I think the easiest way to fix this problem is to buy stainless steel headers. The original cast iron retains the heat more and expands differently than the other metals. Why Chrysler did not think of this is beyond me!

Old 12-05-2020, 04:55 PM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Netsurfer, did you try a set of headers?

Old 04-29-2021, 06:21 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2009 Ram 1500 Hemi has had its exhaust manifold bolts replaced FOUR times. Has this issue been resolved? My son just bought a used 2017 Ram 1500 Hemi and I was wondering if this will be a problem with his truck. I have life time warranty, but he does't.

Old 10-04-2021, 05:39 PM
harryjoe

Is there any help from dodge for these if they are past the warranty period? I already fixed the passenger side. Its a lot more than their simple fix when the bolt is broken flush with the cylinder head.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by harryjoe
Is there any help from dodge for these if they are past the warranty period? I already fixed the passenger side. Its a lot more than their simple fix when the bolt is broken flush with the cylinder head.
There is no recall on them, so, if you are beyond the warranty period, likely dodge isn't gonna help. Best fix for them is shorty headers, and good quality header bolts/gaskets.

Old 10-10-2021, 09:34 AM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There is no recall on them, so, if you are beyond the warranty period, likely dodge isn't gonna help. Best fix for them is shorty headers, and good quality header bolts/gaskets.
I appreciate how you’ve been playing this harp through almost the entire thread - I just finished reading through it. I agree that the manifolds are the problem.

I’ve seen my share of Hemi’s in the shop and what’s been clear to me is the manifolds have a warping issue which is causing the bolts to stretch and break, and instead of replacing the manifolds, Dodge attempted to remedy the problem with different bolts. The problem is once the manifold is warped it has to be planed or replaced, otherwise it’s just going to keep pulling/stretching and the bolt will stretch and break again.

I’m not an engineer but I also don’t condemn them for the fault either. Chances are good at least one engineer attempted to remedy the problem and was shut down by someone above them.

There are so many factors to consider when building a vehicle and the engineers are only one step in the process - they are not the buck-stoppers with the final say on everything. Like many of us on these boards, they’re just trying to do their job within the limits given them by their employer.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
I appreciate how you’ve been playing this harp through almost the entire thread - I just finished reading through it. I agree that the manifolds are the problem.

I’ve seen my share of Hemi’s in the shop and what’s been clear to me is the manifolds have a warping issue which is causing the bolts to stretch and break, and instead of replacing the manifolds, Dodge attempted to remedy the problem with different bolts. The problem is once the manifold is warped it has to be planed or replaced, otherwise it’s just going to keep pulling/stretching and the bolt will stretch and break again.

I’m not an engineer but I also don’t condemn them for the fault either. Chances are good at least one engineer attempted to remedy the problem and was shut down by someone above them.

There are so many factors to consider when building a vehicle and the engineers are only one step in the process - they are not the buck-stoppers with the final say on everything. Like many of us on these boards, they’re just trying to do their job within the limits given them by their employer.
It's likely one of those flaws that the computer models couldn't predict, and only real world testing would find. Of course, the real world testing was in the hands of those that bought the trucks...... I don't fault the engineers, for the reasons you state. I fault dodge for not addressing the problem once it became known. Of course, that would have been money out of their pocket..... and they did do a fair number of repairs under warranty.... which likely clued them in to the problem.... They just didn't feel the need to SOLVE the issue. Just slap a band-aid on it, and call it day. After all, it isn't a 'safety' issue......

Quick Reply: Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?