4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel tank capacity

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021 | 06:36 AM
Pirata
|
Champion
From: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Default Fuel tank capacity

My build sheet for my Ram states 26 gallon fuel tank however when I filled my tank on Saturday it took 26.266 gallons. I rarely have less than a half tank before I fill up so the fact it took more than was supposed to fit in the tank brings up some thought. It is possible that the fuel pump on base was out of calibration and showed an inaccurate number. I am not 100% sure what the fuel gauge was reading before filling up but I think about halfway between 1/4 and empty. I further think that the fuel light had not gone off? It was the first order of business Saturday after I left the house so it's possible my mind while fresh from sleep was clouded with events and tasks for the day to have paid attention to the gauge as well as I should have. Since I rarely get below half it is unlikely that will be able to repeat this again even if the number is accurate. The big question here is when it says 26 gallons on the build sheet is it possible that the tank is slightly larger than 26 and the number is a "not less than" situation?

Old 01-12-2021 | 07:34 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

You are worried about 0.266 gallons?

Old 01-12-2021 | 07:51 AM
Pirata
|
Champion

No, I am not worried about .266 gallons. I am, however, interested is say if it holds 28 gallons or say 26.267 gallons and the fuel idiot light is busted. I am moving and will have a 58 mile each way commute daily. The difference in size might mean filling up once per week or twice per week. That is where I am going.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021 | 09:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would think either one of two things, either the pump you got gas at is inaccurate, or, the build sheet is wrong. I suppose it is also possible that someone replaced the tank in the past? Generally, even with a 26 gallon tank, the pump cannot access the full 26 gallons, so, the engine stops running at around 24 or 25 gallons. (plus or minus.....) Also, the gauge itself isn't precisely accurate..... on my truck, the low fuel light comes on at 1/8th of a tank, but, I still have around 8 gallons of gas left in there. (34 gallon tank) I think the reasoning there was that though the gauge is showing you are darn near out, there is a 'reserve' available, to get you to the next gas station....... Might be interesting to look up the dimensions of the various tanks available for your truck, then measure yours, and see what it really is.

Old 01-12-2021 | 09:58 AM
Pirata
|
Champion

I'd agree with the 24-25 gallons in the tank. I think prior to this the most I had ever put in was 23 gallons. I saw something about 2 straps on the 26 gallon fuel tank vs 3 straps on the 32 gallon fuel tank. In a perfect world the 32 gallon tank would suit the longer commute better but I would like to know since the 26 gallons put into the tank Saturday. Had I known then what I know now I would have looked at the fuel gauge and range before I fueled up on Sat.

Old 01-12-2021 | 11:01 AM
Pirata
|
Champion

2 straps = 26 gallon. I read an article stating fuel capacity is rounded to the nearest 10th of a gallon and the tanks are +/- 3%. If this is true in theory my tank could be almost 27 gallons so it is possible to put 26 gallons in the tank and still be able to drive. Maybe as I start making this commute I will test by bringing a gallon fuel tank until I run out to get a better idea exactly how large my tank is. The unfortunate it I will have to estimate the amount of fuel used on the way to the pump after I run out and add a gallon on gas.

Old 01-12-2021 | 01:17 PM
outlawstorm
Rookie

Both my trucks have the 121 litre tanks or like the window sheet shows 26.6 gallon tanks so its possible to be a lil bigger

Old 01-12-2021 | 01:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by outlawstorm
Both my trucks have the 121 litre tanks or like the window sheet shows 26.6 gallon tanks so its possible to be a lil bigger
Even so, sucking ALL the gas out of the tank just doesn't happen..... the last gallon or three is inaccessible. At least, so far as I know........

Old 01-12-2021 | 01:52 PM
Pirata
|
Champion

Perhaps it's a combination of the tank being slightly larger than the 26 gallons and the pump being slightly off (this is an Army base gas station here). I am still just geeking out over the amount of fuel is says I pumped.

Old 01-12-2021 | 07:16 PM
outlawstorm
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Even so, sucking ALL the gas out of the tank just doesn't happen..... the last gallon or three is inaccessible. At least, so far as I know........
Sprry I am an idiot,,,,, i forgot that 26.6 gallons is canadian gallons,,, so according to my build sheet its a 32 gallon USA tank size,,,, so that would make it easy to put 26 USA gallons into his tank

BTW both my trucks have 2 straps on the tanks

Quick Reply: Fuel tank capacity