Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

need hlp plz

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:47 PM
highline9
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need hlp plz

Bought and installed 4 new door speakers, HU amp and subs four weeks ago. JBL door spks, Kenwood exceloron hu, Kenwood 1000w amp, pro boxes and infinity subs. Everythings works great, sounds great...until this morning. HU fires up, acts normal, subs fire up, act normal...door speaks 'pop' once when ignition is turned on, then no sound??? Any ieas?

Old 06-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Captain Pioneer
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: need hlp plz

check the depth of the door speakers if they are touching the back of the door u are intercepting the signal from the HU... if they pop and then dont play there might be some more serious problems at play... remove them and check and see if you can send sound through them from a home stereo system... if u cannot hear music then thats ur problem and ur speakers are fried... highly unlikely might i add... if they work then take another speaker (1 that is not from the truck install and wire it up and see if it plays... if u get the same pop noise again it could be your HU or wires in between. Then pull the HU out and check to see if any wires came loose or undone and are grounding or touching other wires... Good luck with that

Old 06-19-2007, 05:59 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Sounds like you have a speaker that's grounding or shorting out somwhere. Nearly every aftermarket radio will immediatly cut output when a speaker is shorted directly, or to ground to protect itself. Check the speakers and wiring. Sometimes a speaker may shift in a door andan speakerterminal will come in contact with the sheet metal in the door. Even 1 blown speakers can sometimescause the headunit to cut output if the coil has dead shorted.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:36 PM
highline9
Rookie

The manual told me that a warning message/code should appear on the HU for shorts/improper grounding...I'm not getting on e of these...The HU is pushing the subs, and seems functional, just no door speaks???

Old 06-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Captain Pioneer
Professional

what kinda HU is it? I havnt heard of warning messages on HU for shorts or improper grounds... At least not lately

Old 06-20-2007, 12:10 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

/\ - Me either lol

Old 06-20-2007, 12:25 PM
highline9
Rookie

The HU is a Kenwood KDC-X491...the screen will read "PROTECT" (From Manual...The speaker wire has a short-circuit or touches the chassis of the vehicle, and then the protection function is activated. Wire or insulate the speaker cable properly and press the reset button. If the "PROTECT" code does not disappear, consult your nearest service center.)

Trending Topics

Old 06-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Captain Pioneer
Professional

oh those trusty kenwoods... and thats an Exelon model too! hmmm well lets see here... if u are not reading that on the HU then clearly its due to the speakers grounding out or the wires being disconnected or a bad connection... Im almost 100% sure that pop u are hearing is one or more of the speakers grounding or touchign the Chassis... I dont understand how the HU can detect the inconsistancy in the Wires... i would imagine that is just for the Battery, Ground, Acc, and Remote wires... even thouugh ur manual states otherwise... Do like i said before and pull the speakers out and check and see if they are working... thats ur best bet... not pulling them off is not helping you.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:34 PM
highline9
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Captain Pioneer

oh those trusty kenwoods... and thats an Exelon model too!

I will do that tonight and post the results...Are you saying that kenwood/exelon is bad? I'm new to the audio 'game' so please advise on your comments...thankx

Old 06-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Captain Pioneer
Professional

no not at all im just saying that im suprised that their excelon lineup would have something like that... Plus i have heard that lately they converted over to Wolfson DAC's which i guess is better than the Burr Brown Knock off's they were using before... sorry im not ranting i just dont like how Kenwood was using bottom line Burr Brown DAC's b4 thats all. Thats generally why i stick with Pioneer and Alpine