Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

No sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Big_B
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No sound

I have an 02 2500 ram diesel. The head unit is one of the ones with the cassette and CD player. So heres the problem, I went to go turn the radio on and I got no sound from my iPod. I figured it was that, but no, i get no sound of the radio or the CD player either. Is there a problem sometimes with the speaker wires coming out behind the head unit? How can I pull the unit out to check the back out? Thanks for the help guys.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:39 PM
tigerhornet

umm it probably is the speaker wires, but they could be messed up in several spots. First, try taking off your dash and checking the h/u, i think for your generation there's one main bolt near the bottom of the dash which loosens the whole thing, not sure, but that shouldn't be hard to find on the internet or you could just buy a manual. If all of the wires going into the back of the h/u seem to be okay, no loose ones or loose plugs, go to the speakers next. It probably is not the speakers, considering none of them are working, but you might wanna check just in case.

If it's neither of these, the only thing I can think of is that if you have the infinity sound package thing on your truck, there is an amp hidden somewhere that powers the speakers. If the wires going to and coming from this get screwed up, the whole system stops.

So, assuming everything is stock, just check that all of the wires are plugged in on the back of the h/u and, if you can find it, on the amp.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Big_B
Rookie

Ok, I'll give it a shot... I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I can loosen up the h/u, if not I will snag a manual like you suggested and go from there. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Big_B
Rookie

Gotta bump this thread. So I pulled the h/u and checked for loose connections and nothing. I have a hard time thinking that it is the amps on the speakers since they all just went out all of a sudden. Is there some where I can get a diagram to look for maybe a fuse or a plug connection somewhere inside the dash or something?

Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Big_B
Rookie

Also for those of you who care. I went to install a new h/u and I didnt buy the plug kit. So i cut the power wires on the stock plug to splice into the new one. The new head unit was junk, and didnt work. So now the wires are just sitting there, and I have no cab lights, and my over head unit resets the mgp readout to 16.5 everytime i turn it off and back on lol.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:37 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

Uh oh... I think you cut the wrong wires. For Chrysler vehicles, they usually need a CAN-BUS which will get the aftermarket stereo installed without any problems and no need to cut wires. You didn't buy that or a harness?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:48 PM
OSO
Professional

Originally Posted by HighDuke1911
Uh oh... I think you cut the wrong wires. For Chrysler vehicles, they usually need a CAN-BUS which will get the aftermarket stereo installed without any problems and no need to cut wires. You didn't buy that or a harness?
He doesnt have can-bus its most likley the 2nd gen body style. Sounds like he has used a few wires that he should not of for sure.

HighDuke1911 12VOLT.COM WILL HAVE THE DIAGRAM YOU NEED .

By the way unhook every thing until you know the correct wiring.

Trending Topics

Old 01-30-2009, 08:27 PM
audioaddict
Professional

First and foremost, cutting the wires behind any head unit is a very very bad idea. Modern vehicles run so many different features through the head unit that it's hard telling what you'll loose if you snip the wires.

From my experience, there are 2 things that are most likely the cause of your problems. It's either the OEM radio, or the OEM amplifier. Since you didn't describe any problems prior to the sound cutting, I'm going to say it's most likely the later of the two. It's very seldom that a head unit will just up and quit without showing signs that it's about ready to die. So, with that said, your problem most likely lies in the factory amplifer. Repair the wires that you've cut, use the appropriate vehicle adapter harness, bypass the amp, and you should be good.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:41 AM
OSO
Professional

Did we ever find out if he had the infinity system?

Old 02-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Big_B
Rookie

I know it was bad joojoo to cut the wires, didnt dawn on me till i cut them. I figured it was the head unit because I was told this system had amps on each speaker. Given the likelyhood of all of them going out at the sametime i figure it had to be the h/u. I will check out the diagram and see if it works for me. It is the older 2nd gen body style, since it is a 2500. They didnt change over till 03.

I do know I had the right wires. red and white is the ACC, and the pink is the constant. I will splice the wires back together as I left enough to do that. Heat shrink tubing will work as well, and plug everything back in. Then i will try to find the harness to bipass the amps? I think i covered everyone.

Quick Reply: No sound