Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

No foxbox -- next best thing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:05 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
AF... If your interested, I have my old box out of my Ram. It was a custom box made just for my truck, but will just as easily fit in yours. I did have to raise my backseat 1", if I remember correctly. In doing that though, I actually got more knee room for my adult passengers, and the backrest still latched up to the cab restraints.

After getting the box made, I was able to net around 1.9 cu/ft. With it packed 50% with polypac, the sound was tremendous. The box is cut for 10" subs though, sounds like you want to go 12". I still have the subs, crossfire BMF's, but I would like to keep em.

Let me know. I am in Houston right now, and wont be back home till Monday night. If yer interested PM me man.
1.9 is a little big for the 10's im getting, and a little small for the 12's. I'm planning on gettin the 10's. What does polypac do to the sound? If i understand correctly, it allows you to run a larger sub without as much air (meaning running 12's that normally require 2+ cu ft would be ok with a small box filled with polyfil?)

Old 05-18-2010, 10:02 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea polypac can do that. In my case it let me run a deeper 10", that required more air. It not only help it seem the box was bigger, but it made my lows deeper and crisper. I could hit a low note in a song, and rattle my remote out of the cubby under the deck. This was only 600w deck. Pretty good subs though. Also, where he had to put the subs on the top of the box, you couldnt cut it for 12's, not enough room.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 91StealthES
I could see 127.

Did you have the meter at the windshield like compititions, or did you have it toward the rear of the center console?

I am not saying that 140 isn't possible in a quad cab truck, but pretty much impossible with a single 12.

Best I have ever done is a 137 dB with a single 15 in my Stealth with a 400 watt peak Earthquake amp.
I'm not going to clog up this thread but I will elaborate a bit. As I said, I haven't used a meter with the truck. I do know the same system in my previous Grand Marquis was 139 dB and some change in a sanctioned contest 6-7 years ago.

I really have nothing to gain by lying. I'm too old to care about anyone else's audio anymore but I owned a stereo shop in the early 90s. I was MECP certified back when the program first started. After going to the Installer Institute, enclosure design was on of my hobbies and I think you'd be surprised at how a single JBL 12 sounds in the proper box backed by their 1200.1 amp. I've done far louder systems in the DSMs (I've topped 127db with a single 8 inch sub in an Eclipse) and two Stealth TT's I used to own. If you can't believe the 12 then you certainly wouldn't know what to think about my box with three 8's in it!

I'm just an old-school bass head who still knows how to make some "bump" when I want to. I happen to enjoy doing it via less-than-conventional methods. If I didn't need the utility of my back seat I'd build a wall and really go crazy.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:40 PM
BlakeCP29
Professional

^ design my next system please! lol

Old 05-18-2010, 11:59 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

This thread isnt about speaker choice. I've already chosen the subs. This thread is about a box. Is there a reputable choice for a box? Or do i need to make my own

Old 05-19-2010, 12:05 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

i would say make your own!!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:36 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion

im thinkin about it. doesnt seem too hard. just need a list of materials and costs

Old 05-19-2010, 01:17 AM
ram_bo06
Captain

I ordered a cheapo prefab on ebay. Cost me 69 bucks. I'm running two 1000 watt 10" Rockford HX2 subs. Deep magnet, heavy sub. The prefab is great. Within 3 days of order I was hooked up and running. Looks good, sounds good, and the price, time, and minimal effort expended was great! I get the whole self satisfaction bit...but time is money.

Attached Thumbnails No foxbox -- next best thing?-100_0178.jpg  
Old 05-19-2010, 07:20 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 91StealthES
I could see 127.

Did you have the meter at the windshield like compititions, or did you have it toward the rear of the center console?

I am not saying that 140 isn't possible in a quad cab truck, but pretty much impossible with a single 12.

Best I have ever done is a 137 dB with a single 15 in my Stealth with a 400 watt peak Earthquake amp.
With not knowing where to get the best placement, I put in on the top lid of the center console between the front seats.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

actually type r's are good in small spaces. an they came out with a newer type r recently. that can take more wattage and are smaller..

Quick Reply: No foxbox -- next best thing?