Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

No foxbox -- next best thing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:52 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No foxbox -- next best thing?

Everyone rants and raves about the foxbox being the best under-the-rear-seat enclosure for our rams. I was ready to buy into that a while ago, but I'm sick of waiting for Mr. Fox to start making these again (its been about 9 months out of production with no start in site).

Is there a next best thing? Or perhaps one thats better. Couple of things:

1) I dont mind making my own as long as its cost effective ($$$ vs quality)
2) I need between 1.2 and 1.5 cu ft total air in a sealed box.
3) I dont wanna lift the seats up any higher than necessary, because I still use them regularly (dont wanna damage the subs by not raising the seats though)

Any reccommendations? Also, do I need to go with shallow mount subs? I've seen the regulars need as much as 6.5" sometimes. Is that too deep?

EDIT: following forum posting rules, I'm editing this post instead of double posting with more questions

If I understand the differences correctly, the 10's offer a tighter, crisper bass and dont require as much air in the box, and the 12's have louder, deeper bass and require a lot more. Has anyone ever tried using 1 of each? I'm going to guess its a bad idea since no has done it, then again i've seen setups with like 2 12's and 1 15". I want deep bass, but really care about clarity and tightness of the punch as well. Ideas?

Last edited by AF_HEMI; 05-18-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: more questions
Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Kebo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can take a look at the ProBox enclosures. That is what I have in my truck. Of course mine are 10's but they make a 12" box also. DQC212 is the model number. 0.6 cubic feet per side.

http://www.proboxrocks.com/products/...12/index.shtml

Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

I heard the new wolfbox was pretty good.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:02 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all about matching the speaker to the enclosure. A 12 in the wrong box certainly won't play low, and a 10 in the right box can certainly play both loud and deep.

I have a single 12 that hits in excess of 140dB (no meter for exact numbers) but it's not in an under-seat style box. Eventually I plan to build a replacement center console to keep the sound and also my rear seat room.

It sounds like you need to see what speaker would sound best in a sealed box that's a 1.2-1.5 cubic feet. If you've got some speakers in mind, post 'em up and let's see how they might work for you.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:06 AM
BlakeCP29
Professional

Yah ive been waitinf for joe to start making dual 12 boxes again for some time now. He wont even answer my emaails and the one time he did it was unformal,and had a condescending tone to it. Overall im not happy with his business and i think he needs to pull his head out of his a$$ if he wants to succeed.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:38 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Joe used to be on top of his game but IDK WTF he is doing now. He has to be making a killing on these boxes because they are so popular. Hell I even seen one in a truck in a Diesel magazine. He is a sponsor on DT and Ive PMed him 2x and no response. Maybe he got like all those bollywood actors and made some money and is now strung out on something.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:27 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the subs I'm getting, I need 1.2 cu ft total (.6 for each sub) for the 10", or 2 cu ft (1.0 each sub) for the 12's. Because it would be pretty hard/impossible to get 2 cu ft, i'll most likely go with the 10's. They're better suited for the music i listen to anyway (country with a mix of top 40 occasionally)

Im not against building a box if someone has a link to materials needed and costs associated

Old 05-18-2010, 12:41 PM
91StealthES
Rookie

[QUOTE=John M;2132789]I have a single 12 that hits in excess of 140dB (no meter for exact numbers) but it's not in an under-seat style box. Eventually I plan to build a replacement center console to keep the sound and also my rear seat room.[QUOTE]

I call total B.S. on a single 12 hitting 140 dB in a quad cab truck. Even if the entire back seat was a box with massive porting, you are not hitting 140.

A single 12 in a hatchback will very rarely hit 140 dB.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:58 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

With my 2 12s in a FB and a 1600 watt amp i was getting i think 127 with my dB meter inside my truck

Old 05-18-2010, 01:19 PM
91StealthES
Rookie

I could see 127.

Did you have the meter at the windshield like compititions, or did you have it toward the rear of the center console?

I am not saying that 140 isn't possible in a quad cab truck, but pretty much impossible with a single 12.

Best I have ever done is a 137 dB with a single 15 in my Stealth with a 400 watt peak Earthquake amp.

Quick Reply: No foxbox -- next best thing?