Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

New 6x9's have no treble in front?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 PM
subzero32
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 6x9's have no treble in front?

So today I installed some new 6x9's in the front doors. I noticed they really do not have much treble, only bass. Is this normal? I know the dash has 3 small speakers that put out only treble. Anyone have ideas?

Old 06-15-2011, 08:53 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the 6x9s two-way or three-way? If not, there won't be much treble. If you want treble from the dash speakers, make sure you use a crossover, and be careful of the load you present to the amp.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 PM
ARHogFan

Did the 6x9's have tweets raised up in the center of the speaker or were they separates.

Separates have a mid range speaker and a tweet that you mount separately. If that is the case then yes there will be very little to no treble out of the 6x9's.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Matt99
Champion

if the 6x9s didnt have center tweeters then you will not get any treble, in fact most competition 6x9s will not have any treble

Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You have the Infinity system and the the front door speakers are just mid-bass speakers and the amp doesn't send treble to the front doors, only the rear doors and dash speakers.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Lx is right on the money.. factory infinity sound system has internal crossovers in the factory amplifier.. mids/high goes to the dash speakers and the lows go into the door speakers.. replacing the speaker alone doesn't change this fact.

time to get a new radio and rewire the audio.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:10 AM
subzero32
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ben D.
Lx is right on the money.. factory infinity sound system has internal crossovers in the factory amplifier.. mids/high goes to the dash speakers and the lows go into the door speakers.. replacing the speaker alone doesn't change this fact.

time to get a new radio and rewire the audio.
This makes sense. It is the Infiniti system in the truck. I do have an aftermarket CD player in the deck but do not believe the crossover has been bypassed. I wonder how I can do this. Otherwise I will just replace the dash 3.5 inch speakers with some Pioneers along with a better receiver (right now it is a really crappy off brand one that came with the truck when I bought it used)

Trending Topics

Old 06-16-2011, 02:00 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what head unit you have but ALpine sells a mini amp that is wired to the their head units. You don't need to run power wires to the battery or anything, it is a plug and play deal and it boosts your RMS power up to 45 or 50 watts for 4 channels. It is perfect for those in your situation were you want to just add new speakers and not deal with amps or anything. It is small enough to fit behind the dash. These upgraded speakers in the new cars complicate things way too much so its either keep it all stock or upgrade EVERYTHING.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:20 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kx250frider617
I don't know what head unit you have but ALpine sells a mini amp that is wired to the their head units. You don't need to run power wires to the battery or anything, it is a plug and play deal and it boosts your RMS power up to 45 or 50 watts for 4 channels. It is perfect for those in your situation were you want to just add new speakers and not deal with amps or anything. It is small enough to fit behind the dash. These upgraded speakers in the new cars complicate things way too much so its either keep it all stock or upgrade EVERYTHING.
Adding an amplifier won't do ANYTHING. The problem is that the Infinity amplifiers are crossovers as well and if there is a lowpass filter cutting out the highpass sound, there will be no highpass sound after the amp regardless how many amps you hook up. Problem is that the signal has been split into 2. 1-lowpass feed to the door for the 6x9 and 1-highpass feed to the corner dash speakers. You can't combine the two unless you use an Audiocontrol unit and those are like $200.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:27 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I would highly recommend the aftermarket Infinity 3.5" Reference speakers. I put them in my dash since I don't have the Infinity system. I got them at Best Buy. Kicker also makes some direct replacement 3.5's for the Ram. www.kicker.com/mopar

Name:  IMG_0041.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  49.6 KB

Last edited by lxman1; 06-16-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: New 6x9's have no treble in front?